Mario Barrios is an American professional boxer. He has held the WBA (Regular) super lightweight title since 2019 under the guidance of respected trainer Virgil Hill. As of October 2020, he is ranked as the world’s seventh-best active super lightweight by The Ring and ninth by BoxRec. As of June 2021, his fight record stands 26 wins out of 26 duels. He turned professional in 2013 brawling against Rigoberto Moreno at Cowboys Dance Hall, San Antonio, Texas. He is nicknamed El Azteca. His stance is orthodox. On 31s October 2020, he defended his title against “Cowboy” Ryan Karl in an all-Texas showdown at the Alamodome in San Antonio. The fight broke open in the sixth round when Barrios landed a straight right hand that sent Karl down for just the third time in his career. His next fight is against Gervonta Davis on 26th June 2021.
Mario Barrios Faced His Next Fight Against Gervonta Davis
“I think [Barrios] is making a mistake,” Davis said during Thursday’s final press conference. “It’s not just the height. He thinks he’s stronger than me, so we are just going to have to wait and see. If he believes that I’ve never seen anyone like him, then so be it. But they always learn on fight night. That’s when the real me comes out.” The two-division champion looks to add one more in a third weight class on Saturday night (26th June 2021) in the main event of a Showtime PPV event from Atlanta when he takes on Mario Barrios at junior welterweight. Davis is coming off a Knockout of the Year finish of Leo Santa Cruz last October in the 130-pound division. Now, he’ll look to move up 10 pounds in weight when he faces off against Barrios, who holds the secondary WBA title in the 140-pound division. Barrios also boasts an undefeated record with 17 KOs.
- Being an American professional boxer.
- For holding the WBA (Regular) super lightweight title since 2019.
What is the Real Name of Mario Barrios?
With the real name of Mario Thomas Barrios, Mario Barrio was born on May 18, 1995. He celebrated his 26th birthday as of 2021. He took birth in San Antonio, Texas, the USA. He holds American nationality and he belongs to American-White ethnicity. His birth sign is Taurus and his religion is Christian. He was raised up by his parents in a loving and caring environment. He also has three siblings; a sister named Selina, Valencia, and Vanessa. He started his boxing at the age of six when he was taken to the gym by his mother, Isabel Soto. His father’s name is Martin.
Entering his high school freshman year, Barrios stood just 5-foot-5 and had won a few boxing tournaments punctuated by the national PAL tournament as a 95- pound ninth-grader. “It’s then that I started to realize I was pretty good at this,” said Barrios, who was a spindly 5-foot-7 high school senior, idolized past champions Oscar De La Hoya, Tommy Hearns, and Salvador Sanchez as a youth and respects contemporaries such as Terrance Crawford and Gennady Golovkin. “By the time I was a senior, I was 5-7, fighting at 123, even though I was always lighter than that, more like 116, 117. It’s funny because no one believed I was a boxer because of my build. But each year I grew an inch. I might still be growing. A lot of people I went to grade and high school with freak out when they see how tall I’ve become and where my career is.”
How was the Career of Mario Barrios?
- From the year 2013, Mario Barrios began his professional career. His career at 122 ¼ pounds on 11th November 2013, his 99-second stoppage of Rigoberto Moreno taking place before his hometown San Antonio fans at Cowboys Dance Hall.
- After that, he went 6-0 with a pair of first-round knockouts in 2014, his final three victories-between 125 ¼ and 127 ¾ pounds-being stoppages of Salvador Perez (July) and Abraham Rubio (October) and a four-round unanimous decision over Juan Sandoval (November).
- He faced Juan Jose Velasco on 11th May 2019 winning the fight via KO win; a spectacular body shot in the second round.
- In 2015, he finished five of seven fights by stoppage and facing six opponents who boasted winning records, and in 2016, his wins were those in eight and 12 rounds over sixty fight veteran Edgar Gabejan (April) and former European champion Devis Boschiero (July) as well as a second-round knockout of Claudio Rosendo Tapia (December).
- He was 20-0 with 12 knockouts after halting all three opponents in 2017.
- The domination continued in March 2018 as Barrios returned to San Antonio, where he flattened Eudy Bernardo in the second round at Freeman Coliseum on the undercard of four-division champion Mikey Garcia’s one-knockdown, a unanimous decision that dethroned 140-pound titleholder Sergey Lipinets.
- His next fight was against undefeated Batyr Akhmedov winning the fight by unanimous decision on 28th September 2019. The winning score is 114-112, 115-111, 116-111. He dropped Akhmedov twice in the fourth and twelfth rounds but took considerable punishment resulting in most of his face is swollen.
- Winning the match against Akhmedic, he occupied the vacant WBA (Regular) super lightweight title.
- On 31st October 2020, he defended his WBA (Regular) title with a sixth-round technical knockout victory against Ryan Karl where Ryan was injured in the sixth round due to an accidental head clash that caused a bad cut over Karl’s right eye, and blood poured down his face. At the time of the stoppage, Barrios led 48-47, 49-46, 49-46 on the judges’ scorecards.
- Mario is scheduled to face fellow undefeated Gervonta Davis on Showtime PPV on June 26, 2021, at the State Farm Arena in Atlanta.
- Regarding his boxing record, till now, he has fought 26 fights out of which, he won all the all matches; 17 via knockout and 9 via decision.
Who is Mario Barrios Girlfriend?
Moving towards the personal life of Mario Barrios, he is currently reserved and taken. He is dating his beautiful girlfriend whose name goes by Jaden. He introduced his girlfriend via his Instagram account after his fight against Juan Jose Velasco. On September 20, 2019, Mario posted his picture with Jaden; to be announced as Barrios’ girlfriend. He wrote, “Always appreciative of my girl for being one of the most solid people behind me and handling everything that comes with my career.” The couple began their relationship since November 2018. They are enjoying their present life happily without any disturbances. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
What is the Net Worth of Mario Barrios?
Mario Barrios is one of the best young fighters in boxing today. Winning all the 26 fights in his professional boxing career, Mario has pocketed a huge amount of money. His major source of wealth comes from his boxing career. As of 2021, the net worth of Mario is estimated to have $1.5 Million. As per sources, in February 2019 it was reported that Mario Barrios was set to receive a guaranteed amount of $75k for fighting Batyr Akhmedov. He is making a salary range of around $25K-$50K at present. Currently, he is living a lavish lifestyle from his career earnings.
How tall is Mario Barrios?
Mario Barrios is a handsome boxer who stands tall at the height of 5 ft 10 in or 178 cm with bodybuilder body type. He has a well-maintained bodyweight of 63.18 KG or 139.5 lbs. His other body measurement is still a mystery. Overall, he has got a healthy body as he frequently does exercise to keep himself fit. His highest reach is 71 in or 180 cm.
Mario Barrios Is Nick Named As El Azteca
His debut match against Rigoberto Moreno generated the kind of adulation sought for the young man nicknamed “El Azteca” with almost two-thirds of San Antonio’s residents having Hispanic if not proud Mexican heritage. “San Antonio has a huge Mexican population,” said Mario Serrano, Barrios’ publicist. “San Antonio has had only a few world champions. Only James Leija and a few others were really big. I think Mario is more talented than them. I think he can be really big in this city.”