Mark Owen, an English singer, and songwriter, is widely recognized for his association with the pop group and band “Take That“. The band has sold over 14 million albums and 11.4 million singles in the UK, as of 2019. Apart from his stint with the band, Owen has also released five solo studio albums, namely Green Man (1996), In Your Own Time (2003), How the Mighty Fall (2005), The Art of Doing Nothing (2013), and his latest album, Land of Dreams. The album was released in September 2022 and debuted at number 5 on the UK Official Albums Chart, marking a successful return for Owen in the music industry. Owen is currently married to his spouse, Emma Ferguson.
Throughout his career, Owen has achieved several accolades, including multiple Brit Awards, Ivor Novello Awards, and an Edison Award with the band. He has also been recognized as one of the best-selling music artists in the UK, with total sales of over 45 million records worldwide. Alongside his music career, Owen has also worked as an actor, television personality, and writer, proving his versatility as a multi-talented artist.
Where is Mark Owen from?
Born on January 27, 1972, Mark Owen is currently 51 years old as of 2023. He is from Oldham, Lancashire, England, where he grew up in a modest council house with his parents Mary and Keith, along with his brother Daniel and sister Tracey. Keith worked as a decorator before securing a job at a police station, while Mary was a supervisor in a bakery. Mark Owen’s ethnicity is British-White, and he holds British nationality. His zodiac sign is Aquarius, and he practices Christianity.
Owen received his education from Holy Rosary Primary and St Augustine’s Catholic Schools in Oldham. Despite having trials at Manchester United and Rochdale and playing football briefly for Chadderton F.C., he did not show much interest in music. Before he auditioned for Take That, he worked at Barclays in Failsworth.
Mark Owen Music Career
- In 1989, “Take That” was formed with Gary Barlow as the lead singer and Nigel Martin-Smith as their manager. Martin-Smith then added Mark Owen, Howard Donald, Jason Orange, and Robbie Williams to the group. They signed with RCA Records and started releasing top 40 hits like “A Million Love Songs,” “It Only Takes a Minute,” and “Could It Be Magic.” However, it was Barlow’s song “Pray” that became their first number-one hit. The group’s success continued with their debut album, “Take That & Party”, reaching number two on the UK Album Chart. Their second album, “Everything Changes”, went straight to number one and produced four number-one singles.
- Owen sang lead vocals on “Babe,” which became a hit. Their third album, “Nobody Else”, went straight to number one as well and had three number-one singles, including “Back for Good.” Owen’s boyish good looks and sweet demeanor earned him popularity among fans and numerous awards, such as “Most Fanciable Male in the World” and “Best Haircut.” Take That disbanded in 1996 but reformed in 2005 without Williams.
- “Take That” experienced a career renaissance in 2005 after the post-Williams line-up reunited for a sell-out stadium tour and released their comeback single “Patience”, which topped the charts across Europe and won The Record of the Year and Brit Award for single of the year. They followed it with “Shine”, which became the band’s tenth number-one single. Their first album of new material in over a decade, “Beautiful World”, was released in 2006 and peaked at number 1 in the UK Album Chart. It sold over 2.8 million copies in the UK alone and was re-released as a tour edition with the hit single “Rule the World” in 2007, peaking at number 1 again.
- In 2009, Take That performed the record-breaking tour “Take That Presents: The Circus Live” throughout the United Kingdom, which sold over one million tickets in just five hours. The group then announced their sixth studio album, “Progress”, which was the first to feature the original line-up since their 1995 album “Nobody Else”. They also announced a stadium tour entitled Progress Live which took place in 2011. The tickets for the tour went on sale in 2010 and all initial tour dates sold out in under 15 minutes due to unprecedented high public demand, resulting in Take That smashing the previous box office record of tickets sold which was set in 2008 by “Take That Present: The Circus Live”. The album debuted at number one in the United Kingdom, becoming the band’s seventh number-one album, and sold over 520,000 copies in its first week, making it the second fastest-selling album of all time in UK chart history.
- Following Take That’s split, Owen was the initial ex-member to release a solo record, and his debut single “Child” peaked at number three on the UK Singles Chart, which was followed by “Clementine” also reaching number three. In 1996, his album titled “Green Man” was released, which charted at number 33. Owen’s next single, “I Am What I Am,” reached number 29 on the charts, however, he was dismissed by BMG Records in late 1997.
- In November 2002, Owen emerged as the winner of Celebrity Big Brother’s second series with a staggering 77% of the public vote, beating out fellow contestant Les Dennis. Following his victory, Owen performed alongside Robbie Williams at Knebworth and was subsequently signed by Island/Universal Records. In August 2003, he returned to the charts with his single “Four Minute Warning” reaching the Top 5 and remaining in the Top 40 for eight weeks. His second album, In Your Own Time, was released in November 2003, but only entered the charts at number 59. After a second single, “Alone Without You”, peaked at number 26, Owen was dropped by Island/Universal Records.
- In April 2004, Mark Owen founded his own record company, Sedna Records, after being dropped by Island/Universal Records. He released his first single under this label, “Makin’ Out”, which became his highest-charting single on an independent label, reaching No. 30 on the UK Singles Chart. He then released his third solo album, How the Mighty Fall, in April 2005, which he claimed to be more representative of himself as an artist due to having full control over every aspect of the record. Although the album only reached No. 56 in Germany, Owen signed a publishing deal with BMG Music Publishing after being picked up by Caroline Elleray. Owen’s second single from the album, “Believe in the Boogie”, charted at No. 57 in the UK and was featured on the European soundtrack of the American film Mr. and Mrs. Smith. “Hail Mary” was then released as a single from the album in February 2006.
- In March 2012, Owen announced his plans to relaunch his solo career. He had been working on new material in the studio with top writers and had the support of all the Take That members. The album was finished by October 2012, and it was announced that Owen would tour the following spring. In March 2013, further details about the album, titled The Art of Doing Nothing, emerged. Owen confirmed that it would feature a collaboration with singer-songwriter Ren Harvieu and production from Alt-J producer Charlie Russell. The album was mixed in New York at the Electric Lady Studios and was set to be released on 10 June 2013.
- Owen uploaded new photographs and videos to his official website on 1 May 2013, including the deluxe album artwork, which shows him in a white room, scribbling on the wall, while wearing a hat. The two videos consisted of a photo shoot that created the album cover and a short interview with Owen, discussing the album’s contents and cover. Following the album announcement, Owen confirmed that he would tour the UK and Germany throughout June. The album was well received, with some critics praising Owen’s songwriting and the overall sound of the album.
- In February 2022, it was revealed that Mark Owen had been writing new material, potentially for a new solo album. It was said that he would be performing at the Isle of Wight Festival in June, and although nothing was confirmed, sources close to him claimed that he was “toying with the idea of another solo record.” On May 13th, 2022, Mark Owen officially announced on his social media platforms that he was making a new record but provided no further details at the time. However, just five days later, he officially announced his new album “Land of Dreams” and released it’s first single “You Only Want Me.”
- On May 19th, 2022, “You Only Want Me” was released as the lead single, which entered the UK Downloads charts at number 76 and the UK Sales charts at 78. Mark Owen performed the song at the National Lottery Big Jubilee party, along with the Take That hit “Shine.” This was followed by his first US televised performance as a solo artist on The Late Late Show with James Corden, where he performed “You Only Want Me.” On June 10th, 2022, his second single “Are You Looking for Billy?” was released, and on August 10th, 2022, he released his third single “Magic.” “Land of Dreams” was eventually released on September 23rd, 2022, debuting at number 5 on the UK Official Albums Chart Top 100. This was Mark Owen’s highest-charting solo studio album, and it also debuted at number 3 on the UK Album Downloads and Sales Charts.
What is Mark Owen’s net worth?
Mark Owen is a renowned British singer, songwriter, and member of the popular pop group Take That. He has gained immense fame and recognition for his contributions to the music industry. As of 2023, his estimated net worth is $40 million. He has accumulated his wealth from his successful career in the music industry and his annual income runs into millions of dollars. Mark Owen’s talent, dedication, and hard work have made him one of the most successful and wealthiest musicians in the world.
Owen’s enormous net worth has enabled him to live a luxurious lifestyle. He enjoys the finer things in life and is known to spend his money on exotic holidays, designer clothes, and expensive cars. Despite his wealth, Mark Owen is a humble person who has remained grounded and is actively involved in charity work. He is passionate about giving back to society and has donated significant amounts of money to various charitable causes. Mark Owen is a true inspiration to his fans and aspiring musicians who hope to make it big in the music industry.
In 2014, Owen was appointed as an Ambassador for Amber Run on the Channel 4 program, Launched. Additionally, he participated in both Soccer Aid 2012 and 2014. In June 2012, it was reported that Owen, along with his Take That band-mates Gary Barlow and Howard Donald, had invested £26 million in music industry investment schemes. The disclosure sparked controversy when it was suggested that the schemes might function as tax havens for high-net-worth individuals. However, the band members’ lawyers denied the claims, stating that they “paid significant tax” and that they viewed the schemes as legitimate commercial ventures rather than tax avoidance tactics. During a 2020 BBC Radio interview, Paul Stenning, who had previously worked for the band under their financial advisor Simon Orange in 1995, explained the meticulous distribution of the band’s finances.
Who is Mark Owen’s Wife?
Mark Owen is a married man to his wife, Emma Ferguson in November 2009 in a private ceremony held in Cawdor, Scotland. The couple had been dating for five years before they tied the knot. In 2006, the duo got engaged. Emma is an actress by profession. The couple has three children together – Elwood Jack Owen, born in August 2006, Willow Rose Owen, born in November 2008, and Fox India Owen, born in July 2012.
During the production of Progress in March 2010, Mark Owen made a public confession about his struggle with alcohol addiction and being unfaithful in multiple affairs. One of the affairs had been going on from late 2004 to September 2009. Following this revelation, he entered a private rehabilitation center to address his issues with alcohol six months later. He is also a patron of the charity Beyond Autism.
How tall is Mark Owen?
Mark Owen is known for his good looks. He stands at a height of 1.65 m (5 feet 4 inches) and weighs around 143 lb (65 kg). He has brown hair and blue eyes, which add to his charming appearance. With a slim body type, Mark maintains a healthy physique that is admired by many. His glowing face and charming smile are some of the most attractive features that draw people toward him.
Despite being in his 50s, Mark still has a youthful and attractive appearance. His well-maintained physique and charming smile have made him a heartthrob for many of his fans. It is evident that Mark takes care of his health and fitness, which is reflected in his appearance. His charisma and good looks have contributed to his successful career in the entertainment industry.