Mats Julian Hummels, a German professional footballer is professionally known as Mats Hummels. He plays as a center-back for Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund and the Germany national team. His jersey number is 15. He joined Borussia Dortmund in 2009 after beginning his career with Bayern Munich. He was a member of Germany’s World Cup championship team in 2014. He played in Bayern Munich’s youth soccer system from the age of 7 to 18. Mats also played for Germany’s national team on the U20 and U21 levels before joining the senior team in 2010. Hummels, along with Muller, was included in Germany’s final 26-man squad for UEFA Euro 2020 on 19th May 2021.
- Being a German professional footballer.
- For playing as a center back for Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund and the Germany national team.
What is the Nationality of Mats Hummels?
Mats Hummels opened his eyes for the very first time on 16th December 1988 in Bergisch Gladbach, West Germany. He was conceived with the birth name of Mats Julian Hummels holding German nationality. He came from German-white ethnic background. Hummels’s religious belief is in the Christian religion. His race is white and his present age is 32 which he celebrated back in 2020. As per his birthdate, his star sign is Sagittarius. His father, Hermann Hummels was a retired German football midfielder and later manager whereas his mother, Ulla Holthoff was a professional water polo player. He has a brother named, Jonas Hummels who is also a German retired footballer.
How was the Football Career of Mats Hummels?
- Mats Hummels kicks off his football career entering the club, Bayern Munich as a six-year-old where he signed his first professional contract on 19th December 2006, until 2010.
- He played his first Bundesliga match with the first team in a 5-2 home routing of 1. FSV Mainz 05 on 19th May 2007, in the season’s final match.
- He played in one match during the 2005-2006 season, 31 matches during the 2006-2007 season, and 10 matches during the 2007-2008 season.
- Hummels joined Borussia Dortmund, initially on loan in January 2008, and finished the 2007-2008 season with 16 matches played.
- Later, he was fully signed to the club for a fee of €4 million in February 2009 and finished the 2008-2009 season with a goal in 14 matches played.
- He also won the Bundesliga for the second time in 2011-2012 as Dortmund set a Bundesliga record with the most points in a Bundesliga season with 81 points.
- He scored a goal in Dortmund’s 5-2 win against Bayern in the 2012 DFB-Pokal Final as the team completed the league and cup double.
- Then, Hummels signed a new contract that will keep him at Dortmund until the summer of 2017 on 3rd June 2012.
- He was in the Borussia Dortmund line-up that was defeated 2-1 by Bayern Munich at Wembley Stadium, London, in the 2013 UEFA Champions League Final on 25th May 2013.
- As well, he was in the Borussia Dortmund line-up that won 4-2 against Bayern Munich at BVB’s Signal Iduna Park, Dortmund, in 2013 DFL-Supercup on 27th July 2013.
- Hummels finished his Borussia Dortmund career with two goals in 32 matches played in the 2014-2015 season and three goals in 50 matches played during the 2015-2016 season.
Return to Bayern Munich
- It was confirmed on 10th May 2016 that Mats would re-join Bayern Munich from 1st July 2016, signing a five-year contract where he made his 2016 debut for Bayern on 14th August 2016 in the German Super Cup final, against his old team and winning 2-0.
- He scored his first goal for the club in a 5-0 victory over Carl Zeiss Jena during the DFB-Pokal match on 20th August and scored his first league goal for the club in a 2-1 win over Bayer Leverkusen on 26th November.
- Hummels scored a goal against his former club Borussia Dortmund in a 2-3 loss in the DFB-Pokal semi-final on 26th April and finished the 2016-2017 season with three goals and two assists in his forty-one matches. He finished the 2016-2017 season with three goals in 42 matches played.
- He began the 2017-2018 season in fashion by defeating Borussia Dortmund to win the DFL-Supercup in the penalty shootout as the match ended 2-2 after extra time on 5th August 2017.
- He scored his first goal of the season in a 5-0 victory over Chemnitzer FC in the DFB-Pokal on 12th August.
- He scored his first Champions League goal for the club in a 3-0 victory over Celtic on 18th October as well as he played his first match of the year after recovering from the injury in a 2-0 victory over Mainz 05 on 2nd February.
- Hummels captained his side for the first time in a 4-1 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt on 28th April and finished the 2017-2018 season with three goals in 41 matches played.
- He began the 2018-2019 season by starting in the German Super Cup, which Bayern won 5-0.
- He won his fifth Bundesliga title as Bayern finished two points above Dortmund with 78 points on 18th May 2019 as well as he won his second DFB-Pokal as Bayern defeated RB Leipzig 3-0 in the 2019 DFB-Pokal Final.
- He finished the 2018-2019 season with two goals in 33 matches played.
Return to Dortmund
- Bayern Munich came to an agreement with Borussia Dortmund on 19th June 2019 that would see the 30-year-old rejoin his former club, for a fee of €37 million (£33 million). He finished his time in Bavaria with 8 goals in 116 appearances.
- He won all three Bundesliga campaigns as well as the DFB-Pokal and three DFL-Supercups.
- Mats was called by the German under-21 national team for the 2009 UEFA European Under-21 Championship and he made his senior team debut in a friendly against Malta on 13th May 2010 in Aachen.
- He was in the starting line-up for Germany’s opening UEFA Euro 2012 match against Portugal and helped them to a 1-0 victory.
- He also scored the second goal in Germany’s 4-0 win over Portugal in their first game of the 2014 FIFA World Cup on 16th June.
- Later he returned to the team for the quarter-final against France after missing the team’s round of 16 matches due to illness, where he scored the winning goal in a 1-0 victory at the Estadio do Maracana.
- He was named on the 10-man shortlist for FIFA’s Golden Ball award for the tournament’s best player on 11th July 2014 whereas he also captained Germany for the first time in a 0-0 draw with England at Wembley Stadium on 10th November 2017.
- Also, he was named in Germany’s final 23-man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup on 4th June 2018 however, he missed the second group stage match of the tournament due to a minor injury on 23rd June though his side won the match against Sweden with a 2-1 victory.
- National team coach Joachim Low confirmed on 5th March 2019 that he would plan without Hummels for the foreseeable future.
- Mats, along with Muller, was included in Germany’s final 26-man squad for UEFA Euro 2020 on 19th May 2021, confirming Low’s reversal of his decision to exclude the players from the national side.
- He scored his own goal to grant France a 1-0 win in his first match of Euro 2020, which was Germany’s first own goal in the competition, and the first in a major tournament since Berti Vogts’ own goal in the 1978 FIFA World Cup.
- Borussia Dortmund on 01/07/2019 for 30M €
- Bayern Munchen on 01/07/2016 for 35M €
- Borussia Dortmund on 01/07/2009 for 4.2M €
- Bayern Munchen on 30/06/2009 at End of loan
- Borussia Dortmund on 03/01/2008
- Bayern Munchen on 01/01/2007 From Bayern Munchen II
Awards and Achievements
- Bundesliga: 2010-2011, 2011-2012
- DFB-Pokal: 2011-2012, 2020-2021
- DFL-Supercup: 2013, 2014, 2019
- UEFA Champions League runner-up: 2012-2013
- Bundesliga: 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019
- DFB-Pokal: 2018-2019
- DFL-Supercup: 2016, 2017, 2018
- UEFA European Under-21 Championship: 2009
- ESM Team of the Year: 2010-2011, 2011-2012
- FIFA FIFPro World XI: 2nd team: 2014; 3rd team: 2013, 2017; 4th team: 2015, 2016; 5th team: 2018
- FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2014
- FIFA World Cup Dream Team: 2014
- Castrol Performance Index: 2014 FIFA World Cup (Top 11)
- UEFA Europa League Squad of the Season: 2015-2016
- kicker Bundesliga Team of the Season: 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2013-2014, 2015-2016, 2017-2018, 2019-2020
- Bundesliga Team of the Season: 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2015-2016, 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2020-2021
Who is Mats Hummels Wife?
Married footballer, Mats Hummels tied a knot with his beautiful wife Cathy Fischer who was named as Germany’s WAG of the year for 2013. Fischer and Hummels married in June 2015 and the couple has a son, Ludwig Hummels, born on 11th January 2018. It seems that he is comfortable keeping his personal life open to the public. Concerning his sexual orientation, he is straight.
What is the Net Worth of Mats Hummels?
The net worth of versatile footballer, Mats Hummels is 30 million euros (25.6 million pounds) as of 2021. His market value is €12.00 million as of June 2021 whereas his highest market value is around €60.00 million as of April 2018. He earns $10,010,000 annual salary. Besides this, he has also endorsements with various prominent brands such as Envok and Adidas. Mats’s major source of income is his football career.
How tall is Mats Hummels?
Handsome guy, Mats Hummels is 1.91 m (6 ft 3 in) tall and his body weighs around 94 kg. His heart-warming smile, his entire demeanor, and his gradual escalating popularity in the sport make him the perfect catch. Mats has dark brown hair and eyes color. He is athletic by body build.