Matthew Morrison is an American actor, dancer, and singer-songwriter who is best known for his role as Will Schuester on the Fox television show “Glee” from 2009 to 2015. Morrison got his career breakthrough with his role of Link Larkin in the American musical “Hairspray” on Broadway. He has starred in many films and series including “Finding Neverland”, “The Light in the Piazza”, “Crazy Alien”, and “South Pacific”. He also has released his three studio albums: “Mathew Morrison”, “Where It All Began”, and “Disney Dreamin’ with Matthew Morrison”. He is currently signed with Adam Levine’s 22 Records.
He has won a Screen Actors Guild Award, a TV Land Award, two Broadway.com Audience Award, and a Satellite Award throughout his career.
Besides, Morrison will be seen playing the iconic character of “Dr. Seuss (The Grinch)” on NBC’s upcoming live musical- a two-hour production of “Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch Musical” which will be aired on December 9, 2020. The character of the Grinch is one of the most beloved Christmas characters of all time. The role of The Grinch has been played by many actors over the years. But this time, when Morrison made his first appearance in full Grinch regalia introducing a musical from the Troubadour Theatre in London which got aired during the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on Thursday, his look was jarring. Many of the musical’s followers and viewers shared their horrified and disgusted responses towards’ Morrison’s look as The Grinch and it has been one of the trending topics on social media sites.
He is active in the social media platform with around 994k followers on his verified Instagram account: @matthewmorrison and has around 897k followers on his Twitter account: @Matt_Morrison
What is Matthew Morrison famous for?
- Famous as an American actor, dancer, and singer-songwriter
- Known for his role as Will Schuester on the Fox television show “Glee”
Where is Matthew Morrison from?
Matthew Morrison was born on October 30, 1978, in Fort Ord, California, United States. His birth name is Matthew James Morrison. He holds an American nationality. His ethnicity is White while Scorpio is his zodiac sign. He is of Scottish and English descent.
Morrison was born as the son of Mary Louise (mother) and Thomas Morrison (father). He was raised in Chico, California. Since his childhood, he was interested in acting and singing. So, he joined Buena Park Youth theatre as a member.
He did his schooling at Orange County High School of the Arts. He also was part of the Collaborative Arts Project 21(CAP21). Later, he attended Los Alamitos High School where he did a musical with actress, Jodie Sweetin and was a regular performer on Broadway.
Then, he joined New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts for two years. He left his studies to pursue his career as an actor.
Matthew Morrison Career: Highlights
- Matthew Morrison started his professional acting career in 1998 by making his appearance in the musical “Footloose” which is based on the 1984 film “Footloose”.
- He also appeared on “Late Show with David Letterman” and “Total Request Life” as one of the five members of the boy band “Fresh Step” in 1999.
- He then portrayed the role of Phantom in Broadway’s production “The Rocky Horror Show” in 2002.
- He got his career breakthrough in 2002 after he started playing the role of Link Larkin in the musical “Hairspray”. His role in the musical was appreciated a lot and earned him a nomination for Outer Critics Circle Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical.
- Since then, he has not looked back in his career and has acted in various films including “Bollywood Calling”, “Marci X”, “Blinders”, “Music and Lyrics”, “I Think I Love My Wife”, “The Muppets”, “Space Station 76”, and “Playing It Cool” and “What to Expect When You’re Expecting”.
- He also appeared in the role of Sir Harry in the musical “Once Upon a Mattress” which aired on ABC-TV in 2005.
- He portrayed the role of Fabrizio Naccarelli in the Broadway’s production’s musical “The Light in the Piazza” in 2005. He got a huge appreciation for his role and was nominated for numerous awards.
- Morrison rose to fame after he began playing the role of Will Schuester in the Fox Broadcasting television series “Glee” since it’s premiere on May 19, 2009. His role of Schuester is a high school Spanish teacher. He received good reviews from the juries for his role and earned numerous awards and nominations. He continued acting in Glee till 2015. Also, he made his directorial debut with the third season’s ninth episode.
- He has made his appearances in various TV series including “Sex and the City”, “Hack”, “As the World Turns”, “Ghost Whisperer”, “Numbers”, “Hollywood Game Night”, “Younger”, “The Good Wife” and American Horror Story: 1984”.
- He also gave his voice for the role of Jake in the 2013 Argentine 3D computer-animated comedy film “Underdogs”.
- In the year 2019, he appeared in the role of Zach Andrews in the Chinese science-fiction comedy film “Crazy Alien”.
- He played the lead role of J.M. Barrie in the Broadway production of Finding Neverland from March 2015 to January 2016.
- He also has been a “dance captain” on BBC One’s The Greatest Dancer since 2019.
- In 2020, he appeared in the television special “Kids Together: The Nickelodeon Town Hall.
- He will be seen playing the iconic character of “Dr. Seuss (The Grinch)” on NBC’s upcoming live musical- a two-hour production of “Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch Musical” which will be aired on December 9, 2020.
- Before acting, Morrison is a well-established singer who is currently signed with Adam Levine’s 22 Records.
- He has released three studio albums: “Mathew Morrison”, “Where It All Began”, and “Disney Dreamin’ with Matthew Morrison”.
- He also has an extended play entitled “A Classic Christmas” which got released on November 19, 2013, under 222 Records.
- Some of his songs are “Summer Rain”, “Still Got Tonight”, “It Doesn’t Mean a Thing”, “Over the Rainbow”, “Let Your Soul Be Your Pilot”, and “Rocket Man”.
Matthew Morrison Awards
1 Screen Actors Guild Award
1 Satellite Award
1 TV Land Award
2 Broadway.com Audience Award
Matthew Morrison Wife
Matthew Morrison is a married man. He is currently married to his only wife, Renee Puente. The couple started dating each other in 2011 and got engaged on June 27, 2013. Their engagement rumors were finally confirmed when his friend and singer, Elton John announced their engagement.
The couple finally tied the knot on October 18, 2014, at a private home on the island of Maui. The couple became blessed with a son named Revel James Makai in October 2017. At present, Morrison and his family are happily living together in their home in California. Previously, he was in a serious relationship with actress, Chrishell Stause. They also got engaged on December 9, 2006. However, they broke up after things did not work out between them.
Matthew Morrison Net Worth
Matthew Morrison has quite good earnings from his profession as an actor, dancer, and singer-songwriter. Having his career started in 1998, Morrison has managed to come a long way up becoming one of the prominent actors in Hollywood.
With his earnings from his several films and series, Morrison has managed to amass a healthy fortune estimated to be around $10 million as of 2020. At present, he is living a lavish and luxurious lifestyle with his earnings.
Matthew Morrison Height
Matthew Morrison is a handsome man with an awesome body physique in his early 40s. He stands tall with a height of 6ft(1.83m) while his body weighs around 76kg. He has a fair complexion with brown hair and a pair of hazel eyes. His chest size is 35 inches and his biceps size is 14 inches.