Neil Diamond is a famous American singer-songwriter, a trouper of the Brill Building song factory and one of the most successful artists of his time. His trademark style was his quasi-gospel, baritone voice, which helped him sell nearly 125 million records around the world, with over 18 platinum-certified albums.
He wrote his first song, Hear them bells for his girlfriend, which was recorded several years later. He has had the privilege of working with several record groups including Columbia Records Bang and MCA. Let’s explore more about him through this article.
What is Neil Diamond famous for?
- An American singer-songwriter and actor.
Where was Neil Diamond born?
Recalling his early life, Neil was born to Rose and Akeeba Diamond in the year 1941. His birthplace was Brooklyn, New York. He is American by nationality and belongs to White ethnicity. His father is a dry goods merchant and has ever served in the army. The information about his siblings is yet to be disclosed.
Where is Neil Diamond educated?
Concerning her education, Neil аttеndеd Еrаѕmuѕ Наll Ніgh Ѕсhооl bеfоrе trаnѕfеrrіng tо Аbrаhаm Lіnсоln Ніgh Ѕсhооl. He wаѕ оffеrеd а fеnсіng ѕсhоlаrѕhір аt Nеw Yоrk Unіvеrѕіtу. Тhеrе hе wаѕ а рrе-mеd mајоr. Similarly, He wаѕ іn hіѕ ѕеnіоr уеаr whеn Ѕunbеаm Мuѕіс Рublіѕhіng оffеrеd hіm а јоb. Не ассерtеd іt аnd drорреd оut оf соllеgе.
What does Neil Diamond do?
- Moving towards his career, Neil Diamond’s musical career was portrayed right from his teenage years. When he was about sixteen, he attended a Jewish camp and witnessed performances of a folk singer Pete Seeger. The camp was such that other children wrote songs and performed for the singer also. This dawned heavily on young Diamond that he too could write a song.
- Getting a guitar only raised his interest higher, and he started to take lessons and write songs. He found comfort and a certain level of satisfaction in songwriting and claimed it helped him grow out of his youthful frustrations.
- His first job was a sixteen weeks contract job as a songwriter for Sunbeam Music Publishing and was paid $40 an hour. At the contract ends, it was not renewed and he became a self-employed songwriter. Later in 1962, Neil Diamond teamed up with his high school buddy Jack Parker and the collaboration led to his first-ever recording contract. The duo was called Everly Brothers and recorded two unsuccessful singles.
- During the same year, He signed with the Columbia Records. He was a solo performer and released a single that received excellent reviews.
- However, it was unable to chart, and he was soon dropped and got back to songwriting. At this time, he did not achieve any stability for seven years and changed publishing houses. These were hard times for him both financially and the number of songs he could be able to sell. At a certain point, while working in Birdland club in New York, he released a couple of songs, among them Solitary Man. This was his first self recorded song that made it to the charts. In November 1965, success came calling in his songwriting endeavors, after releasing a couple of songs, for example, Sunday and me.
- He released other big hits consecutively, and the following year, he signed a deal with Bert Bern’s Bangs Records. The contract brought forward more desired success, with song Solitary man becoming his initial true triumph as a single artist.
- Here, he also released other sensational singles. He was not satisfied with his achievements here and in 1968, he signed with MCA records. He relocated to Los Angeles in 1970, and during his time there, he released sensational singles that made it to the top music charts. An example is Sweet Caroline.
- The next year, he took a whole four months and came up with a top career hit I am… I said. During the year 1972, his career as a performing artist intensified. This happened especially in October, where he did ten shows at the Greek and also some shows at the Winter Garden theatre.
- His performances at the Greek were recorded, and an Album was made, called hot August night. It was a great successful hit. Neil Diamond got back to Columbia records in 1973 who offered him a lucrative deal concerning his albums.
- His studio album total reached 10 in 1976, with the release of album Beautiful Noise. At this time frame, He had many performances and was extremely popular, including during Grammys awards in 1980. He summed up his seventies in an orderly fashion, by releasing album September mom as his last album at the time. More so, diamond featured as cast in American film the jazz singer and received golden globe award nominations for his role.
- The 1980s was a pretty dull century for him. His sales declined, and he only made it to the Billboard charts in 1986, with a hit solo. However, he resurfaced significantly from 1993 to 1998 with a couple of albums, courtesy of Columbia Records.
- Later in the year 2005, Neil Diamond released 12 songs and some other albums. The 12 are some of his greatest stuff. He kept on recording and touring and he released more Albums, appearing in more charts and breaking more of his own and world records.
- Home Before Dark, one of his albums released in 2008, was featured at the top of the charts in New Zealand, United Kingdom, and the United States and became one of his greatest selling albums to date. The next year, he released another hit album, A Chery Cherry Christmas.
- His most recent albums from 2009 to 2011 include Dreams and other compilation albums including The Essential Neil Diamond, Icon, The Bang Years and The Very Best of Neil Diamond: The Original Studio Recordings.
- In 2013, he made an impromptu entrance at Fenway Park to sing Sweet Caroline during the 8th inning.
- In September 2014, He performed a surprise concert at his alma mater, Erasmus High School in Brooklyn. The show was announced via Twitter that afternoon. On the same day, he announced a 2015 “Melody Road” World Tour.
- In October 2016, He released Acoustic Christmas, a folk-inspired Christmas album of original songs as well as acoustic versions of holiday classics. Produced by Was and Lee, who had produced Melody Road, the idea for the album began to take shape as the Melody Road sessions ended.
- On June 25th, 2019, The New York Times Magazine listed him among hundreds of artists whose material was reportedly destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire.
- In March 2020, He posted a video to YouTube playing Sweet Caroline with slightly modified lyrics (“…washing hands, don’t touch me, I won’t touch you…”) in response to the widespread social distancing measures implemented due to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic.
Source: @Wife Katie
Who is Neil Diamond married to?
Reflecting on his personal life, Neil was married three times in his life. He met his first wife Jaye Posner in his high school days, who was a teacher. The couple got two daughters, Marjorie and Ellyn. However, they got separated in 1967 and divorced in 1969.
His second marriage was to Marcia Murphey, a production assistant. They had two sons, Jesse and Micah, and their marriage ended in around 1995.
Thereafter in 1996, he met with Rae Farley in Brisbane Australia and they had a long relationship. However, the two never got married. On April 21st, 2012, he got married to Katie McNeil, his manager after a relatively long love spell.
How much money is Neil Diamond worth?
Being a singer and actor, Neil earns an impressive amount of money and salary from his profession in the field of the entertainment industry. Based on some online sites, his estimated net worth said to $200 million at present. However, his salary and assets details are yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Neil Diamond?
Observing his body statistics, Neil stands a height of 6 feet 0 inches and weighs around 79 Kg. Similarly, he has a pair of dark brown eyes and light brown hair color. Further, his other body information is yet to be disclosed. In the case of disclosed, we will let you know.