Nicholas David Nurse famed as Nick Nurse is an American professional basketball coach who is the present head coach of the Toronto Raptors of the National Basketball Association (NBA) and the Canadian men’s national team. His first full-time head coaching job was at Grand View University when he was only 23 years old. He spent 11 seasons coaching in Europe, mostly in the British Basketball League (BBL) where he won two BBL championships as a head coach, one with the Birmingham Bullets in 1996 and one with the Manchester Giants in 2000, while also helping London Towers in the Euroleague. On 14th June 2018, the Raptors promoted him to the position of head coach after being with the team for five years. The Raptors announced that Nurse had signed a multi-year contract extension on 15th September 2020.
Raptors head coach Nick Nurse calls Pelicans “good team”
Regarding the Pelicans defense and whether it’s high ranking (4th) to start this season is a direct effect of Stan Van Gundy at the helm, Nick Nurse danced around the question a bit, instead choosing to remark that SVG is a good coach and the Pelicans are a good team. Nick also went on to mention that New Orleans’ size advantage stands out on their roster and he took time to single out several from the Pelicans bench, specifically naming JJ Redick, Josh Hart, and Nickeil Alexander-Walker. After appearing in just four minutes of garbage time in the season opener, NAW failed to leave the bench the following two games; however, he’s back on the radar following a solid 22-minute showing in Phoenix (11 points, four assists) and then a productive 19-minute effort (14 points, three rebounds, two steals) against the Thunder.
- Being a basketball coach.
- Being the head coach of the Toronto Raptors.
What is the Birthplace of Nick Nurse?
On 24th July 1967, Nick Nurse was born in his birthplace; Carroll, Iowa, the USA. His full name/real name is Nicholas David Nurse. He holds an American nationality and his ethnic background is American-White. His race is White. As of 2020, he celebrated his 53rd birthday. He was born to his parents; Marcella (mother) and father. His mother died in December 2018. He also has a nephew named David, who previously worked with the Brooklyn Nets before becoming a personal trainer for professional players. Leo is his Zodiac sign and his religion is Christian.
As per his education, he went to attend Kuemper Catholic High School. After that, he went to attend the University of Northern Iowa where he from 1985 to 1989, appearing in 111 games. What’s more, he is the school’s all-time 3-point percentage leader at .468 (170 of 363). In May 1990, he graduated from Northern Iowa with a B.A. in accounting. For the 1990-1991 season, he became a player-coach for the Derby Rams in the British Basketball League. After that, he never played professionally as he devoted his full time to his coaching career.
How was the Coaching career of Nick Nurse?
- Nick Nurse’s full-time head coaching career began at Grand View University at the age of 23 where he coached for two seasons and after that, he coached at the University of South Dakota for two seasons.
- In the British Basketball League (BBL), he spent 11 seasons coaching in Europe where he won BBL championships as a head coach, one with the Birmingham Bullets in 1996 and one with the Manchester Giants in 2000. He also helped London Towers in the Euroleague.
- What’s more, he won the BBL Coach of the Year Award in the 1999-2000 and 2003-2004 seasons. He has also coached for the Telindus Oostende of the Ethias League in the year 1998. Also, he became an assistant coach for the Oklahoma Storm of the United States Basketball League in both 2001 and 2005.
- Later, he became the head coach in Iowa Energy in the year 2007 who were preparing for their first season in the NBA D-League which is now called the NBA G League. Being head coach, the team won division titles in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 seasons.
- He then joined the coaching staff of the Iowa State Cyclones as an associate head coach in April 2010.
- Moreover, he received the Dennis Johnson Coach of the Year Award after helping Iowa achieve the best record in the league (37-13).
- In addition to this, he and the Energy then went on to win the 2011 D-League championship. He then left the Energy for the D-League’s Rio Grande Valley Vipers. The team, Vipers finished with a record of 35-15 and also won the D-League finals in a two-game sweep of the Santa Cruz Warriors.
- He had 23 players on his rosters called up to the NBA during his six seasons where he coached in the D-League.
- He then left the Vipers for an assistant job on the coaching staff of the Toronto Raptors under Dwane Casey. He also increased the performance of the team.
- Due to his activeness with the team, he was promoted to the position of head coach on 14th June 2018. Additionally, he coached to the 2019 NBA Finals on 25th May 2019.
- He also became the first head coach to win both the NBA and NBA G League (formerly D-League) titles, when the Raptors defeated the Golden State Warriors in Game 6 of the NBA Finals, winning the Raptors their first championship in franchise history on 13th June.
- During his second season with the team, the Raptors ended with a 53-19 record.
- He was also qualified to be a head coach in the 2020 NBA All-Star Game as the Eastern Conference representative. He was named NBA Coach of the Year on 22nd August 2020.
- The Raptors announced that he had signed a multi-year contract extension with the team on 15th September 2020.
- Regarding his national team career, he was an assistant coach under Chris Finch for the Great Britain national team from the year 2009 to 2012 which also includes the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- He was even named the head coach of the Canadian men’s national team for the 2019 FIBA World Cup.
- Nick Nurse is a lifelong Chicago Cubs fan and was a guest conductor of the seventh-inning stretch at Wrigley Field in 2019, singing “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.”
- He joined Hamilton-based rock band Arkells at their sold-out Toronto concert to perform a cover of Stevie Wonder’s hit song “Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours)” on guitar.
- On 13th October 2020, his “Rapture: Fifteen Teams, Four Countries, One NBA Championship, and How to Find a Way to Win — Damn Near Anywhere” was published.
Nick Nurse Awards and Achievements
As a head coach:
- NBA champion (2019)
- NBA Coach of the Year (2020)
- NBA All-Star Game head coach (2020)
- 2× NBA D-League champion (2011, 2013)
- NBA D-League Coach of the Year (2011)
- 2× BBL champion (1996, 2000)
- 2× BBL Coach of the Year (2000, 2004)
- 4× BBL All-Star Game head coach (1995,1997, 1999, 2001)
- English Cup winner (2003)
- Uni-Ball Trophy winner (1999)
- Belgian Cup champion (1998)
- Belgian Supercup champion (1998)
Who is Nick Nurse married to?
Nick Nurse is a married man. He married his beautiful wife, Roberta. By profession, his spouse is an American volleyball player. The couple is also blessed with two kids (sons) named Leo and Rocky Levi. He has remained loyal to his wife and we are unaware of his previous divorce as well as his ex relationships. They both seem extremely happy in their domestic life. She’s supportive of him and the profession that he is in. There’s much love between the two. Basically, her understanding and their strong love bond have helped them stay glue for this long. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
How much is Nick Nurse’s Net Worth?
Nick Nurse is a basketball coach by profession. As of 2020, the net worth Nick is estimated to have $5 Million. Whereas his salary is estimated to have $3.3 Million yearly. His major source of wealth comes from his coaching career and he is satisfied with his earnings. He is living a luxurious lifestyle from his career. He is currently under a three years $10 million contract with Toronto Raptors.
How tall is Nick Nurse?
Nick Nurse is a very handsome man with a charming personality attracting a lot of people towards him. He stands tall at the height of 5 ft 9 in or 1.75 m or 175 cm. His balanced weight consists of 70 Kg or 154 lbs. His biceps size is 14 in and his body measurements are 41-33-34 (chest-waist-hips). His shoe size is 9 US. He has a pair of grey eyes color and his hair color is brown. He maintains his body a lot by doing frequent exercises. Overall, he has got a healthy body.