Penelope Mary Mordaunt is a British Conservative Party politician who is well recognized as Penny Mordaunt is serving as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Portsmouth North since 2010 and as Minister of State at the Department for International Trade since September 2021. She has also been serving as a Paymaster General since February 2020. She previously served in Theresa May’s Cabinet as International Development Secretary from 2017 to 2019 and Defence Secretary in 2019 whereas she also worked as a communications specialist for the Freight Transport Association before, in 2000, working briefly as Head of Foreign Press for George W. Bush’s presidential campaign. She was director of communications for the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea from 2001 to 2003. She was appointed Secretary of State for Defence, replacing Gavin Williamson in May 2019 whereas she is currently the only female MP who is a Royal Naval Reservist. Penny re-entered government, joining the Cabinet Office as the Paymaster General, succeeding Oliver Dowden in February 2020. Additionally, she became Minister of State at the Department for International Trade on 16th December 2021.
- Being a British Conservative Party politician.
- For serving as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Portsmouth North since 2010.
What is Penny Mordaunt Real Name?
Penny Mordaunt opened her eyes for the very first time on 4th March 1973 in Torquay, Devon, England. She took birth with the real name of Penelope Mary Mordaunt in the Christian religious family. She is of British nationality and she belongs to mixed ethnicity. Penny’s present age is 48 which she celebrated in 2021 and as per her birth date, her star sign is Pisces. Thus, her race is white. Her father, John Mordaunt, born at Hilsea Barracks, served in the Parachute Regiment before retraining as a teacher whereas her mother, Jennifer (nee Snowden) is a relative of Philip Snowden, the first Labour Chancellor of the Exchequer. Mordaunt has two brothers: James and a younger brother, Edward. Sadly her mother passed away due to breast cancer when Penny was 15. The following year her father was also diagnosed with cancer, from which he recovered.
Regarding Penny’s education, she was educated at Oaklands Roman Catholic School Academy, Waterlooville, Hampshire, and studied drama at the Victoryland Theatre School. She read philosophy at the University of Reading, graduating in 1995 with upper second class honors as she was the first member of her family to attend university. She was active in student politics and served as president of the Reading University Students’ Union.
What does Penny Mordaunt do for a living?
- Penny Mordaunt began her career being selected as a Conservative candidate to contest Portsmouth North in the 2005 general election in November 2003 as she attained a 5.5% swing towards the Conservatives, but lost to Labour candidate Sarah McCarthy-Fry by 1,139 votes. She worked after the 2005 election as chief of staff for David Willetts’ aborted leadership campaign.
- She was re-elected in January 2006 to contest Portsmouth North at the 2010 general election and at the election she won the seat with an 8.6% swing from Labour giving her a 7,289 majority. She was re-elected at the 2015 and 2017 general elections.
- She was a member of the Public Bill Committee for the Defence Reform Act 2014 as well as she became only the second woman in Elizabeth II’s reign to propose the loyal address in reply to the Queen’s speech from the throne and made reference to Tweedsmuir’s comments about wanting more female involvement in Parliament. in 2014.
- As well, she can be seen on the reality television program “Splash!” in 2014.
International Development Secretary
- Penny was appointed Secretary of State for International Development on 9th November 2017 and she also became Minister for Women and Equalities in April 2018.
- In Parliament, she previously sat on the Privacy and Injunctions (Joint Committee), the Defence Committee, the European Scrutiny Committee, and the Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee).
- Also, she was appointed as the first-ever female Defence Secretary on 1st May 2019 but she left the Government on 24th July 2019 after Boris Johnson became Prime Minister.
- Subsequently, Penny re-entered Government in February 2020, joining the Cabinet Office as the Paymaster General, succeeding Oliver Dowden. She was the UK alternate co-chair of the EU Withdrawal Agreement Joint Committee.
- As well, she was made Minister of State for Trade at the 2021 British cabinet reshuffle.
Who is Penny Mordaunt Husband?
Penny Mordaunt is a married woman. She tied a knot with Paul Murray in 1999. They were both mature students at Reading University but this ended in divorce the following year. Then Penny was in a long-term relationship with Ian Lyon, a classical singer but due to some reason, they are not together anymore. So as of now, we can assume that Mordaunt is currently living a single life. Concerning her sexual orientation, she is straight.
How much is Penny Mordaunt Net Worth?
Penny Mordaunt has a net worth of $5 million USD as of 2021. Now as she is serving as Paymaster general, her net worth is expected to increase. She also earns a handsome amount of salary which is around £81932 per year. Penny has experience as a politician for more than 15 years which helps her to make better and wise decisions. In addition, her major source of income is from her political career.
What is the Height of Penny Mordaunt?
Penny Mordaunt has an ideal height of 5 feet and 6 inches and her body weighs around 62 kg. She has good-looking brown hair and green eyes color. Penny is slim by body build.