Rachel Anne Maddow, popularly known as Rachel Maddow is an American television news program host and liberal political commentator. She hosts her own show, The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC. She previously hosted a syndicated talk radio show, The Rachel Maddow Show on Air American from 2005 to 2010. She is the first openly lesbian anchor to host a major prime-time news program in the United States. She is the author of two books, Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power (2012) and Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth (2019). For her contribution, she has been honored with several awards and recognitions including several Emmy Awards.
What is Rachel Maddow Famous For?
- A host of The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC.
Where is Rachel Maddow From?
Rachel Maddow was born on 1 April 1973. Her birth name is Rachel Anne Maddow. Her birth place is in Castro Valley, California in the United States. She holds an American nationality. She belongs to white ethnicity. She was born to a father, Robert B. Maddow, and a mother, Elaine Gosse. She has an older brother named David. Her paternal grandfather was from a family of Eastern European Ashkenazi Jews (the original family surname being “Medvedof”), who arrived in the United States from the Russian Empire. She also has Dutch (protestant) ancestry on her paternal grandmother’s side. She has English and Irish ancestry on her mother’s side. Her zodiac sign is Aries.
Regarding her educational background, she attended Castro Valley High School. After high school graduation, she attended Stanford University. She graduated from Stanford with a Bachelor of Arts degree in public policy in 1994. She was awarded the John Gardner Fellowship at graduation. She received the Rhodes Scholarship and attended Lincoln College, Oxford. She earned a Doctor of Philosophy in politics at the University of Oxford in 2001.
Rachel Maddow Career
- Her first job was as a radio host at WRNX (100.9 FM) in 1999.
- She entered and won a contest the station held to find a new second lead for the show’s principal host, Dave Brinnel.
- She then hosted Big Breakfast on WRSI in Northampton, Massachusetts from 2002 to 2004.
- She then joined the new Air America in 2004.
- She hosted Unfiltered along with Chuck D and Lizz Winstead at Air America.
- Unfiltered was canceled in March 2005.
- She started hosting a weekday two-hour radio program, The Rachel Maddow Show in April 2005.
- The show ran from 2005 to 2010.
- She became a regular panelist on the MSNBC show, Tucker in 2005.
- She was a guest on CNN’s Paula Zahn Now during and after the November 2006 election.
- She was a correspondent for an LGBT-oriented short-form newsmagazine, The Advocate Newsmagazine.
- She became an MSNBC political analyst in January 2008.
- She was a regular panelist on MSNBC’s Race for the White House with David Gregory and MSNBC’s election coverage.
- She frequently contributed to Countdown with Keith Olbermann.
- She later became the substitute host for Countdown with Keith Olberman. It was her first time hosting a program on MSNBC.
- She filled in for several broadcasts including Race for the White House.
- She landed her own MSNBC show, The Rachel Maddow Show in 2008.
- The show topped Countdown as the highest-rated show on MSNBC on several occasions.
- She became the first openly gay or lesbian host of a primetime news program in the United States.
- The Rachel Maddow show was the No. 1 non-sports program on cable for the first time for the week of May 15 in 2017.
- She wrote several monthly opinion column for The Washington Post in 2014.
- She launched the podcast Bag Man in October 2018.
- The New York Times published Maddow’s first crossword puzzle in collaboration with Joe DiPietro on 2 March 2018.
- The One America News Network (OAN) filed suit against Maddow for $10 million in the US District Court for the Southern District of California in September 2019, after Maddow described the network as “paid Russian propaganda” on her program on July 22. The case was dismissed in May 2020.
Rachel Maddow Books
- Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power (2012)
- Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth (2019)
Honors and awards
- 2017 Emmy Award in the Outstanding Live Interview category for The Rachel Maddow Show segment “One-on-One with Kellyanne Conway”.
- 2017 Emmy Award in the Outstanding News Discussion & Analysis category for The Rachel Maddow Show story “An American Disaster: The Crisis in Flint”.
- 2011 Emmy Award in the Outstanding News Discussion & Analysis category for The Rachel Maddow Show segments “Good Morning Landlocked Central Asia!”.
- Maddow was named in Out magazine’s “Out 100” list of the “gay men and women who moved culture” in 2008.
- Maddow was voted “Lesbian/Bi Woman of the Year (American)” in AfterEllen’s 2008 Visibility Awards.
- Maddow won a Gracie Award in 2009, presented by the American Women in Radio and Television.
- In 2009, Maddow was nominated for GLAAD’s 20th Annual Media Awards for a segment of her MSNBC show, “Rick Warren, Change To Believe In?”, in the Outstanding TV Journalism Segment category.
- On March 28, 2009, Maddow received a Proclamation of Honor from the California State Senate, presented in San Francisco by California State Senator Mark Leno.
- In April 2009, she was listed at No. 4 in Out magazine’s Annual Power 50 List.
- Maddow placed sixth in the “2009 AfterEllen.com Hot 100” list (May 11, 2009) and third in its “2009 Hot 100: Out Women” version.
- Maddow was included on a list of openly gay media professionals in The Advocate’s “Forty under 40” issue of June/July 2009.
- In 1994, Maddow received an Honorable Mention in the Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity Prize in Ethics.
- In June 2009, Maddow’s MSNBC show was the only cable news show nominated for a Television Critics Association award in the Outstanding Achievement in News and Information category.
- In March 2010, Maddow won at the 21st Annual GLAAD Media Awards in the category of Outstanding TV Journalism—Newsmagazine for her segment, “Uganda Be Kidding Me”.
- In May 2010, Maddow was the 2010 commencement speaker and was given an honorary Doctor of Laws (LLD) degree at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts.
- In July 2010, Maddow was presented with a Maggie Award for her ongoing reporting of healthcare reform, the murder of Dr. George Tiller, and the anti-abortion movement.
- In August 2010, Maddow won the Walter Cronkite Faith & Freedom Award, which was presented by the Interfaith Alliance. Past honorees included Larry King, Tom Brokaw, and the late Peter Jennings.
- In February 2012, Maddow was presented the John Steinbeck Award by the Martha Heasley Cox Center for Steinbeck Studies at San Jose State University.
- Maddow was named Outstanding Host at the 2012 Gracie Allen Awards
- In December 2012, the audiobook version of Maddow’s Drift was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album.
- On October 5, 2017, her MSNBC show won two Emmy Awards, for coverage of the tainted water crisis in Flint, Michigan, and for Maddow’s interview with White House counselor Kellyanne Conway.
- In December 2017 The Advocate named her as a finalist for its “Person of the Year”.
Everything To Know About Susan Mikula
Rachel Maddow Wife
Rachel Maddow is not married. However, she is in a long time relationship with her partner Susan Mikula. The couple first met in 1999. She was working on her doctoral dissertation when they first met. They went on their first date at the “Ladies Day on the Range” event hosted by the National Rifle Association.
She currently splits her time between Manhattan, New York, West Cummington, and Massachusetts.
Rachel Maddow Height
Rachel Maddow stands at a height of 180.5 cm i.e. 5 feet and 11 inches tall. She has a body weight of 145.5 lbs i.e. 66 kg. She has a slim body build. Her eye color is dark brown and her hair color is dark brown. Her sexual orientation is lesbian.
Rachel Maddow Net Worth
Rachel Maddow earns from her career in the journalism industry. She is one of the popular hosts on MSNBC. She has been hosting the MSNBC show, The Rachel Maddow Show since 2008. She has also hosted several radio shows. She is also an author and has published two books so far. The majority of her income comes from her hosting career. Her annual salary is reported at $7 million. Her net worth is estimated at $25 million.