Reilly Opelka, a versatile American professional tennis player is well recognized for being one of the tallest players ever to play on the ATP Tour. He is also famous for his powerful serve, which often exceeds 130 miles per hour. He didn’t start playing tennis regularly until he started training through USTA in Boca Raton at 12 years old. He is responsible for coining the term “dinger,” meaning an ace, in professional tennis. On 28th October 2019, he reached his career-high ATP singles ranking of world No. 31 and doubles ranking of world No. 89 on 2nd August 2021. Opelka has gained two ATP singles titles and one doubles title whereas he is also a junior Wimbledon champion and Red Bull ambassador.
Top-seeded Daniil Medvedev, 6-foot-11 Reilly Opelka reach Toronto final
Medvedev knocked off the 6-foot-10 Isner to set up a final against 6-11 American Reilly Opelka, a 6-7 (2), 7-6 (4), 6-4 winner over third-seeded Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece in the afternoon. “I actually watched almost all of his matches,” Medvedev said about Opelka. “I think he’s playing great tennis here all week long. Today, the match he turned around with Stefanos was quite unbelievable, a very hard effort.”
Opelka saved the lone break point he faced, had 17 aces, and won 77% of his first-serve points to finish off Tsitsipas in 2 hours, 32 minutes. Opelka ended the match with one last blast of a serve that Tsitsipas simply couldn’t corral. “I really was clutch with not only my serve but my volleys in the big moments,” said Opelka, ranked 32nd in the world.
- Being an American professional tennis player.
- For being one of the tallest players ever to play on the ATP Tour.
Where is Reilly Opelka from?
Reilly Opelka opened his eyes for the very first time on 28th August 1997 in St. Joseph, Michigan, U.S. He is of American nationality and he belongs to American-white ethnicity. His religious belief is in Christian. Reilly’s present age is 23 whereas he will be celebrating his 24th birthday in the August of 2021. Similarly, his zodiac sign is Virgo and his race is white. He is the son of his father, George Opelka, and his mother Lynne Opelka. He also has one sibling named Brenna Opelka.
What does Reilly Opelka do for a living?
- Reilly Opelka kicks off his tennis career winning the 2015 Junior Wimbledon tournament by defeating Junior world No. 1 Taylor Fritz en route to beating Mikael Ymer in the final after which he reached the finals of the Boys’ Doubles event at the 2015 Wimbledon Championships.
- Reilly lost his ATP debut match at the 2016 U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships in the first round to fifth seed Sam Querrey whereas he won his first three career ATP matches at the Atlanta Open to reach the semifinals at just his third career ATP event in August 2016.
- Then he continued his momentum with first-round wins at the Los Cabos Open and the Cincinnati Masters where he defeated Sergiy Stakhovsky and Jeremy Chardy.
- Later he returned to the USTA Pro Circuit for the indoor season and won his first ATP Challenger title in Charlottesville to finish the year just outside the top 200.
- He got off to a good start to the season by qualifying for the Australian Open in 2017 as well as he played No. 11 seed David Goffin in the first round and pushed him to five sets before taking the loss.
- He recorded his only ATP Tour-level win of the year over fellow NextGen American Jared Donaldson at the Memphis Open.
- 2018 proved to be a breakthrough year for Opelka as he won three ATP Challenger titles in the season, the first American to achieve do so since Bradley Klahn in 2014.
- He won his first title of the season at the Bordeaux Challenger in May 2018 and won back-to-back titles at the Knoxville Challenger and the JSM Challenger in November 2018. He finished as a runner-up at Cary Challenger and Oracle Challenger.
- Reilly reached the quarterfinals at the Delray Beach Open on the ATP World Tour, picking up his first top 10 wins of his burgeoning career, defeating world No. 8, Jack Sock, in the second round.
- His solid performance on the ATP Challenger Tour earned him his first top-100 year-end finish in singles, ending the season at world No. 99.
- He upset compatriot John Isner in the first round at the Australian Open which was the second top 10 win of his career whereas he again defeated Isner en route to his first ATP title in February.
- He participated in the Davis Cup Finals for the United States in November 2019, ultimately losing both his rubbers however he finished the season ranked 36th in the world.
- As well, Reilly lifted his second career trophy, at the Delray Beach Open in February 2020 and reached his first ATP Tour Masters level quarterfinal at the Cincinnati Masters after an extended break due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. He also earned his fifth career top 10 win, defeating Matteo Berrettini.
- Reilly chose not to defend his Delray Beach title in 2021 whereas he instead began the season at the Great Ocean Road Open as the sixth seed, but lost to Botic van de Zandschulp in the second round.
- He beat Lu Yen-hsun before losing to 27th seed Taylor Fritz at the Australian Open as well as he beat Richard Gasquet, Lorenzo Musetti, Aslan Karatsev, and Federico Delbonis to reach his first Master’s semifinal, where he lost to Rafael Nadal.
- Reilly beat clay-court specialists Andrej Martin and Jaume Munar to reach the third round, his best showing at this Grand Slam event, where he lost to Daniil Medvedev.
- He later won his first doubles title at the Atlanta Open defeating Steve Johnson and Jordan Thompson however he fell in the quarterfinals to Taylor Fritz at the same tournament in singles.
- Opelka reached his second Masters 1000 semifinal by defeating Nick Kyrgios, 14th seed Grigor Dimitrov, Lloyd Harris, and 10th seed Roberto Bautista Agut at the Canada Masters in Toronto.
- Reilly upset world No. 3, Stefanos Tsitsipas, to reach his first ATP Masters 1000 final which was also his first win over a top 5 player. He entered the top 25 in the ATP singles rankings with this successful run.
Is Reilly Opelka dating Anyone?
Reilly Opelka is an unmarried guy. He is also not dating anyone up to the date as his social media accounts do not suggest that he has a girlfriend. Since he is still unmarried and single there isn’t any chance of him being through a divorce. Concerning his sexual orientation, he is straight. Additionally, Reilly currently resides in Palm Coast, Florida, U.S.
How much is the Net Worth of Reilly Opelka?
Reilly Opelka has a net worth of between $1 million to $5 million as of 2021. He also earns a fine amount of salary which is also in thousands of dollars per year. Reilly has also won prize money of US$ 2,687,354. He has not endorsed any brands yet. In addition, his major source of income is from his tennis career.
What is the Height of Reilly Opelka?
Reilly Opelka has a tall height of 6 ft 11 in (2.11 m) with an athletic body build. His body weighs around 225 lbs (102 kg). He definitely has emerged as another teen sensation in the scene. Reilly has good-looking dark brown hair and eyes color.