Richard Gere is an American actor and producer, who is widely recognized for his role in “American Gigolo”(1980) that established him as a leading man and a sex symbol. Gere entered Hollywood with his debut as a supporting role in “Looking for Mr. Goodbar”(1977). He certainly established himself in the industry earning several awards including the “Golden Globe Award” and “Screen Actors Guild Award”. Currently, in his 70s, Gere has been quite active in social media sites with his Instagram account: @richardgereofficial.
What is Richard Gere Famous for?
- Famous for his role in “American Gigolo” and “Chicago”.
Richard Gere’s Early Life
Richard Gere was born on August 31, 1949, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. His birth name is Richard Tiffany Gere. His nationality is American. Gere belongs to White ethnicity while Virgo is his zodiac sign.
Richard was born as the second child in a normal family to Doris Ann(mother) and Homer George Gere(father). His mother was a housewife while his father was an insurance agent for the Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. He grew up in Syracuse, New York with his 5 siblings: 2 brothers, David Gere, Henry Januszewski, and 3 sisters, Joanne Gere, Laura Gere, Susan Gere.
Richard studied at North Syracuse Central High School, graduating in 1967, where he excelled at gymnastics and developed an interest in music. Later, he joined the University of Massachusetts Amherst to study philosophy but he drooped out after 2 years without earning a degree to pursue a career in acting.
Gere first worked professionally at the Seattle Repertory Theatre and the Provincetown Playhouse on Cape Cod in 1969 at the age of 20, where he even starred in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.
Richard Gere’s Career Highlights
- Richard Gere got his first major acting role in the original London stage version of “Grease” in 1973.
- Gere made his motion picture debut with his appearance as Billy in the film, “Report to the Commissioner” in 1975. Later, in 1976, he starred in “Baby Blue Marine”.
- He got his breakthrough career in Hollywood with his appearance as Tony in the crime drama film, “Looking for Mr. Goodbar” in 1977. Following the success, he starred in a well-reviewed drama, “Days of Heaven” in 1978.
- He became one of the first notable Hollywood actors to play a homosexual character, starring as a gay in Broadway production of “Bent” in 1979 for which he earned a Theatre World Award.
- Gere got his biggest breakthrough role after he starred as Julian Kaye in a crime drama, “American Gigolo” in 1980. His role earned him the status of America’s favorite sex-symbol.
- In 1982, he was cast as Zack Mayo in a romantic drama, “An Officer and a Gentleman” which won 2 Academy Awards out of six nominations.
- During 1980, he starred in several other movies including “The Honorary Consul”, “Breathless”, “The Cotton Club”, “King David”, “No Mercy”, “Power” and “Miles From Home”.
- Gere established himself as a leading actor with the release of his hit movies including “Internal Affairs”(1990) and “Pretty Woman”(1990).
- He further appeared in several hit movies including “Sommersby:, “Primal Fear”, “Runaway Bride”, “The Jackal”, “The Mothman Prophecies”, “Unfaithful”.
- Gere got his first Golden Globe Award for his role as Billy Flynn in Academy Award-winning film, “Chicago”(2002).
- In 2007, he was cast in “The Hunting Party”, he also played a part in the semi-biopic “I’m Not There”.
- He was notably seen for portraying businessman Robert Miller in crime drama, “Arbitrage” in 2012.
- In 2015, he appeared in the drama film “The Benefactor”. The following year, he was seen in the American-Israeli political drama movie “Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer”.
- In 2019, he was cast as Max Finch, in the BBC 2 TV miniseries, “MotherFatherSon”.
- Golden Starfish Award for Lifetime Achievement from the Hamptons International Film Festival
- Career Achievement Award from the Hollywood Film Awards
- David di Donatello Award
- National Board of Review Freedom of Expression Award
- Broadcast Film Critics Association Award
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actor
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance
Who is Richard Gere Married to?
Richard Gere has married three-time to date. Gere was first married to his first wife, supermodel, Cindy Crawford. Cindy is an American model and actress with whom Gere got married in 1991, but their relation didn’t last long as they divorced in 1995.
Later, he married his second wife, Carey Lowell, an American actress and model in 2002. The couple together shared 11 years and even had a son named Homer James Jigme Gere(b. 2000), however, their marriage came to an end after they separated in 2013. They got an official divorce in October 2016.
Gere is currently married to his third wife, Alejandra Silva. Silva is a Spanish activist with whom Gere got married in April 2018, at Gere’s estate in Pound Ridge, New York. The couple welcomed their first son, Alexander in February 2019, followed by their second child in April 2020. Silva is 33 years younger than Gere.
Besides, Gere has quite an interest in Buddhism, and eventually, after studying Zen Buddhism for 5-6 years, he became a practicing Tibetan Buddhist of the Gelugpa school of Tibetan Buddhism. He is also an advocate for human rights in Tibet.
Along with that, Gere was once charged by a court for violation of rules related to public obscenity after he kissed Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty on the cheek in full public and media view in around 2007.
How Tall is Richard Gere?
Richard Gere who is considered to be one of the sexiest men in the world is a handsome man in his 70s. Gere has a well maintained athletic body physique of measurement with 40 inches as his chest size, 33 inches as his waist size, and 15 inches as his biceps size. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 10inch.(1.78m) while his body weighs around 79kh(174 lbs). Gere has a fair complexion with white hair and dark brown eyes.
What is the Net Worth of Richard Gere?
Richard Gere has quite a great earnings from his professional career as an actor. Working in this field for more than 6 decades, he has easily managed to amass a million worth fortune from his several hit movies.
He also makes money from several endorsement deals including Marigold Hotel, Hallmark movie, Norman, Fiat, Meals on Wheels, DirectTV. His current estimated net worth is around $120 million.
Besides, he earns approximately $85.3 million profit from his investments and savings. Currently, Gere is living in a $2 million worth house in Hampton and he sold his other Hamptons mansion for $36.5 million. Along with that, he has a large collection of luxury cars worth $3.2 million.