Rishi Kapoor was a Legendary Indian actor, director, and producer who was known for his significant contributions to the Bollywood industry. He was the 3rd generation actor from Kapoor Bollywood Dynasty. Having started his career at an early age, he went on to appear in over 100 films during his entire career. He was one such actor who had seen the evolution of the Hindi cinema from Black & White to the Modern Color cinema. Sadly, the legendary actor passed away in April 2020, a day after another well-known actor, Irrfan Khan died. He received the National Film Award for his debut role as a child artist in his father’s 1970 film, Mera Naam Joker. He later went on to win numerous honors for his contributions. Today, let’s explore the interesting facts about him through this article.
What is Rishi Kapoor famous for?
- An Indian actor, director, and producer.
- The grandson of actor Prithviraj Kapoor and son of actor-director Raj Kapoor.
- Awarded the Filmfare “Best Actor” award in 1974 for his movie, Bobby.
Who are the parents of Rishi Kapoor?
Recalling his early life, Rishi was born in Bombay, Maharashtra, India to his parents, Raj Kapoor and Krishna Malhotra as Rishi Raj Kapoor. He raised along with his four siblings named Randhir Kapoor, Rajiv Kapoor, Ritu Nanda, and Rima Jain. Being part of the Kapoor Bollywood dynasty, his childhood days passed lavishly. Similarly, he holds Indian citizenship and belongs to the Hindu-Punjabi community. He followed Hinduism and his birth sign was Virgo.
Regarding his educational background, he studied in Campion School, Mumbai, and he later attended Mayo College, Ajmer.
When did Rishi Kapoor begin his acting career?
- Moving towards his film career, Rishi appeared in his father’s 1955 film Shree 420’s song “Pyaar Hua Ikraar Hua” for the first time as a toddler along with his siblings.
- Later in 1970, He made a debut from his father’s film named Mera Naam Joker where he plays the childhood role of his father, for which he won the National Film Award for Best Child Artist.
- In 1973, he had his first lead role in the film named Bobby which won him the Filmfare Award for Best Actor. It was also directed by his father Raj Kapoor.
- From 1974-1997, He did several films with solo leads but only 10 films were the box office hit while the other 40 films were a flop. The 10 hit films were Laila Majnu, Rafoo Chakkar, Sargam, Karz, Prem Rog, Nagina, Honeymoon, Banjaran, Heena, and Bol Radha Bol.
- From 1974-1981, He paired together with his future wife, Neetu Kapoor but the pair didn’t create magic in industry. Only multi-starter movies with her were hit; they are Khel Khel Mein, Kabhie Kabhie, Amar Akbar Anthony, Pati Patni Aur Woh, Duniya Meri Jeb Mein.
- From 1976-2000, He acted in 41 multi-starer films and was cast because of the second or the third lead hero. Out of those, 25 films were hit and 16 were a flop at the box office.
- In the 90s, His film Deewana, Damini, and Eena Meena Dika were successful. He got plum lead hero roles a couple of times in two-lead hero films like Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin, Badalte Roshtey, Aap Ke Deewane, and Saagar.
- In 1999, He also directed the film named Aa Ab Laut Chalen.
- In 2000, he did his last romantic lead within the film named Karobaar: The Business of Love which becomes a flop. After his several box office flops because of the lead role, he did supporting roles within the 2000s.
- He also acted in the British films named Don’t Stop Dreaming and Sambar Salsa during that time.
- His other character roles from the 2000s include Hum Tum (2004), Fanaa (2006), Namastey London (2007), Love Aaj Kal (2009), and Delhi 6 (2009).
- In 2010, He paired with his wife, Neetu Kapoor once again in the film named Do Dooni Chaar. He also acted during the film Chintu Ji where he plays himself.
- In 2012, He appeared in Agneepath as a villain and in multi-starer Housefull together with his brother Randhir Kapoor for the primary time.
- He won the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor for his role in Do Dooni Chaar (2011) and he also bagged a Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for his work in Kapoor & Sons (2016).
- In 2017, He acted the movie 102 Not Out along with Amitabh Bachchan. After two decades, the two celebrities play the same movie.
- In 2018, he appeared in the Netflix drama Rajma Chawal. His work in Mulk (2018) was also well-received.
- After a year in 2019, He was seen in two films named Jhoota Kahin ka and Body which becomes his last movie.
- Besides the film industry, his autobiography Khullam Khulla: Rishi Kapoor Uncensored, was released on 15th January 2017. He wrote the book along with Meena Iyer, and the title was published under Harper Collins.
Who was Rishi Kapoor married to?
Reflecting on his personal life, Rishi was married to actress, Neetu Singh on 22nd January 1980. Together, The couple shared two children named Ranbir and Riddhima Kapoor Sahani. Further, the couple lived a blissful life with his family until his death in 2020.
Previously, he dated several Bollywood celebrities like Yasmin and Dimple Kapadia during his film career. However, they parted ways.
How did Rishi Kapoor die?
The Bollywood star, Rishi Kapoor left the world forever on 30th April 2020. He was diagnosed with Leukemia in 2018 in New York City. After successful treatment for over a year, he returned to India on 26th September 2019. A year later was, he was admitted to Sir H. N. Reliance Foundation Hospital in Mumbai on 29th April 2020 after he had breathing difficulty. He died the following day.
The Bollywood film industry lost two of the great entertainers in just two days. A day before Rishi Kapoor’s death, veteran actor Irrfan Khan had passed away due to complications from colon infection. Bollywood mourned the death of Irrfan Khan and Rishi Kapoor.
How much is Rishi Kapoor’s worth?
Rishi Kapoor was one of the legendary actors in the Bollywood industry. He starred in more than 100 films in Bollywood. Rishi Kapoor earned an impressive amount of money and fame through his profession as an actor. His major income came from working in the entertainment industry. Based on some online reports, his estimated net worth was estimated at $40 million which is around INR 275 Crore. It was reported that he charged between INR 70-100 Lakh per movie.
Talking about his assets details, he owned several cars like Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W222), Audi R8, and Nissan X-Trail. Also, he also owned Harley Davidson motorbike.
How tall was Rishi Kapoor?
Rishi Kapoor stood at a height of 5 feet 8 inches and weighed around 90 Kg. He had a large body build. Similarly, he had a pair of dark brown eyes and black hair. Further, his body measured approximately 45-38-14 inches including his chest, waist, and biceps sizes.