Ronald Eugene Rivera famed as Ron Rivera is an American football coach and former player who is the former head coach of the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL). He has also been the defensive coordinator for the Chicago Bears and San Diego Chargers. He was selected in the second round of the 1984 NFL draft by the Chicago Bears and was a backup on the 1985 team which won Super Bowl XX.
- Being the former head coach of the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL).
- Being the 2013 AP NFL Coach of the Year.
Where was Ron Rivera born?
On 7th January 1962, Ron Rivera was born in Fort Ord, California as Ronald Eugene Rivera. As of 2019, he celebrated his 57th birthday with his friends. He was born to a Puerto Rican father, Eugenio Rivera, who served a career in the U.S. military, and a Mexican mother. He also has a brother named Mickey who died after a two-year battle with cancer. He holds American nationality and his ethnicity is White. His religion is Christian. He went to Seaside High School and later he attended California College.
How Ron Rivera Pursue his career?
- Ron Rivera was granted a football scholarship to California.
- He was a consensus All-American linebacker, leading the Golden Bears in tackles for his last three years as a player.
- He has held Cal’s all-time sack and career tackles records, and still holds the record for most tackles for loss in a season, set in 1983.
- He was the MVP of the 1984 East-West Shrine Game.
- He was selected in the second round by the Chicago Bears in the 1985 NFL Draft.
- He played in Super Bowl XX, where the Bears beat the New England Patriots 46-10 in 1985.
- He was the first Puerto Rican to play on a Super Bowl championship team. He became a starter in 1988.
- He has played for the Bears for a total of nine seasons (1984-1992).
How was the Coaching Career of Ron Rivera?
- He went to work for WGN-TV and SportsChannel Chicago as a TV analyst covering the Bears and college football in 1993.
- He became a defense quality control coach for the Bears in 1996.
- He was named linebackers coach for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1999.
- He was named defensive coordinator of the Bears on 23rd January 2004.
- The Bears defense was rated second-best in the NFL in 2005.
- The Bears qualified for the NFC playoffs, losing in the second round to the Carolina Panthers, 29-21.
- The defense’s success earned Rivera recognition among franchises looking for new head coaches.
- The Arizona Cardinals and Pittsburgh Steelers interviewed him in January 2007.
- He was a candidate for the vacant Dallas Cowboys head coaching position.
- He was named as a potential candidate to replace the fired Marty Schottenheimer in San Diego.
- It was announced that his contract with the Bears would not be renewed on 19th February 2007.
- The San Diego Chargers hired Rivera as the team’s inside linebackers coach after he left the Bears.
- He was promoted to defensive coordinator with the Chargers after the team released former defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell on 28th October 2008.
- He was named the fourth head coach of the Carolina Panthers on 11th January 2011.
- Following the 2012 season, Rivera was expected to be fired.
- He has expressed discontent with the nickname, however, explaining he is “a calculated risk-taker” not a gambler.
- Later, he was honored as the 2013 AP NFL Coach of the Year.
- In his fourth season as the Panthers’ coach, Carolina recovered from a 3-8-1 start to win its final four regular-season games and clinch the NFC South championship for the second consecutive year.
- He is the fifth man of color to lead a team to the Super Bowl.
- He was also recognized as the 2015 AP NFL Coach of the Year; the second such honor of his career.
- He coached the Panthers in Super Bowl 50 on 7th February 2016.
- He signed a two-year contract extension on 6th January 2018.
- On 3rd December 2019, after a 5-7 start to the season, the Panthers fired him after nearly nine seasons as head coach.
Who is Ron Rivera’s wife?
Ron Rivera is a married person. He has two children, a son, Christopher, and a daughter, Courtney, with his wife, Stephanie, who is a former assistant coach for the WNBA’s Washington Mystics. As of now, the duo is living a happy life with their children. There is no sign of divorce between them. They are enjoying their life a lot and their relationship is going stronger with the passage of time. His sexual orientation is straight.
How much is Ron Rivera’s Net Worth?
The net worth of this famous coach will be surely in millions as he is a very hardworking and talented coach. As of 2019, his net worth is believed to have $5 Million with a salary of $3 Million. He is living a lavish lifestyle from his earnings. His major source of earning is from his coaching career and he is satisfied with his earnings. He never takes work for granted. With his passion and hard work, he has reached the great heights in his career.
How tall is Ron Rivera?
Ron River, at the age of fifty-seven, still looks very handsome with charming personality attracting a lot of people towards him. He has got a very glowing face. He stands at the tall height of six feet three inches or 1.91 m with a balanced body weight of 107 Kg or 235 lbs. His other body measurements have not been revealed yet but it will be added once we get details about it. Overall, he has got an average body build.