An American professional MMA fighter who is currently signed to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is named for Rose Namajunas. As of today, she competes in the women’s strawweight division. Rose is the two-time and current UFC Women’s Strawweight World Champion. She began practicing Taekwondo at the age of five earning poom belt (junior black belt) at age nine. Previously, she was nicknamed ‘The Riverter’ whereas her present nickname is “Thug Rose” which was given by her friends.
- Being an American professional Mixed Martial Artist.
- For her advanced technical striking and footwork, using a variety of angles and several creative adjustments.
What is the Real Name of Rose Namajunas?
On 29th June 1992, Rose Namajunas was born with the birth name of Rose Gertrude Namajunas in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S. She was named Rose (Lithuanian: Roze) in honor of her great-grandmother Roze Gotsalkaitė Namajuniene, whose husband was an independent Lithuania military officer. She holds American nationality and her ethnic background is American-White. Her race is White. She is Christian by religious beliefs as she stated “I’ve got the Christ consciousness, I’ve got Lithuanian blood and I’ve got the American dream.” Her zodiac sign is Cancer. Details about her parent’s names are missing at present. Only the fact is known that her father suffered from schizophrenia, which led to complications and hardships during Rose’s youth.
During her high school, Rose started training in kickboxing and mixed martial arts with Duke Roufus at Roufusport, and she was also a senior-year wrestler at Milwaukee High School of the Arts.
How was the career of Rose Namajunas?
- Rose Namajunas started her MMA career as an amateur in the year 2010 being trained under Greg Nelson at Minnesota Martial Arts Academy.
- Against Emily Kagan, she made her professional debut match on 5th January 2013 where she won the match and earned her the Submission of the Night bonus.
- She next faced Kathina Catrol on 5th April 2013 where she won the fight by submission which earned her second Invicta Submission of the Night award.
- After that, she fought Tecia Torres on 13 July 2013.
- It was announced that Namajunas was signed by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on 11th December 2013. Signing the UFC, she won her first march against Joane Calderwood and she next won against Randa Markos.
- In the fight on 12th December 2014, she lost against Carla Esparza at The Ultimate Fighter: A Champion Will Be Crowned Finale for the inaugural UFC Women’s Strawweight Championship.
- Whereas she was awarded two seasons $25,000 bonus awards for Performance of the Season and Fight of the Season for her bout with Joanne Calderwood.
- On 3rd October 2015, she fought against Angela Hill at UFC 192, and next faced Paige VanZant on 10th December 2015.
- On 16th April 2016, she faced Tecia Torres at UFC on Fox 19. where she won the fight.
- Against Karolina Kowalkiewicz at UFC 201 where she lost the match.
- On 15th April 2017, she faced Michelle Waterson at UFC on Fox 24 winning the fight.
- On 4th November 2017, she faced Strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 217 at Madison Square Garden where she won the fight. Rematching the fight, she again won.
- On 11th May 2019, fighting against Jessica Andrade in the main event at UFC 237, she lost the fight. On 12th July 2020, she again faced Jessica winning the fight via split decision-earning her the Fight of the Night award.
- Regarding her MMA career, she has fought altogether 14 matches out of which she won 210 matches and lost 4 matches.
Awards and Achievements
- 2018 ESPY Award for Best Fighter (nominee)
- Kids’ Choice Sports 2018 Award for Biggest Powerhouse (nominee)
- Eighth Annual Real Women Awards – 2017 Woman of the Year
Mixed martial arts
Ultimate Fighting Championship
UFC Women’s Strawweight Championship (Two times, Current)
- One successful title defense vs. Joanna Jędrzejczyk
- Fight of the Night (Three times) vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz and Jéssica Andrade (x2)
- Most stoppage wins in UFC Women’s Strawweight division (5)
- First woman in UFC history to regain a championship title after losing it
- The Ultimate Fighter: A Champion Will Be Crowned (Runner-Up)
- Submission of the Night (Two times) vs. Emily Kagan, Kathina Catron
Fighter of the Year
- 2017 MMA Fighter of the Year
- 2017 UFC Fighter of the Year
2017 MMA Female Fighter of the Year
Submission of the Year
- 2013 MMA Submission of the Year vs. Kathina Catron
- 2013 Women’s MMA Submission of the Year vs. Kathina Catron
- 2015 Women’s MMA Submission of the Year vs. Paige VanZant
- 2017 Women’s MMA Submission of the Year vs. Michelle Waterson
Knockout of the Year
- 2017 Women’s MMA Knockout of the Year vs. Joanna Jędrzejczyk
Fight of the Year
- 2013 Women’s MMA Fight of the Year vs. Tecia Torres
Fight of the Month
- 2019 May Fight of the Month vs. Jéssica Andrade
- 2020 July Fight of the Month vs. Jéssica Andrade
Year’s Most Violent
- 2017 Fight Booth Lady Violence Award
- Sherdog.com’s 2017 All-Violence Second Team: Strawweight
Who is Rose Namajunas Boyfriend?
Engaged by marital status, Rose Namajunas is the fiancee training partner of former Glory and UFC heavyweight, Pat Barry. As of today, the duo is enjoying their present life a lot without any disturbances. She does not have any child as of today. Her sexual orientation is straight.
How tall is Rose Namajunas?
Beautiful lady, Rose stands tall at the height of 165 cm or 5 ft 5 in. Being a professional MMA fighter, she has maintained her body a lot by doing frequent exercises. Thus, her body build is athletic. Her balanced weight consists of 115 lb or 52 KG or 8 st 3 lb. Overall, she has got a healthy body with a charming smile attracting a lot of people towards her. She has been sporting her patented semi-bald look for the majority of her career in the UFC. She chop her hair off to ensure that it did not interfere with her profession, i.e., fighting. took up the bald look back in 2015. She took to Instagram to make it clear why she had taken the step of chopping her hair off. Showing off her then-new look, the fighter added a caption to the photo that read: “It’s a fight not a beauty pageant. S**t’s in my way at practice… Cut it off!”