Ruth Pointer is an American singer–songwriter who is well-recognized for being the eldest member of the American family vocal group “The Pointer Sisters“. She started singing with the junior choir at her family’s church as a child. The Pointer Sisters originally consisted of Ruth and her sisters Bonnie Pointer, Anita, and June Pointer, both of who are deceased. She won three Grammy Awards with The Pointer Sisters between 1975 and 1985. She competed in The Masked Singer in 2021.
What is Ruth Pointer Known For?
- Ruth Pointer is a Soul and R&B singer.
- She is known for being a part of the talented and popular music group, “The Pointer Sisters”.
What is Ruth Pointer’s born name?
Ruth Pointer took birth on March 19, 1946, in Oakland, California, U.S. Her born name is Ruth Esther Pointer. She celebrated her 76th birthday in 2022. She is the daughter of Sarah Pointer (mother) and Elton Pointer (father). She was born as the eldest of five siblings – three sisters (Bonnie, June, and Anita), and two brothers (Aaron and Fritz). In 2006, her sister, June Pointer died and on June 8, 2020, her sister Bonnie died at age 69. She holds American nationality and her ethnicity is African-American. As per her birthdate, her horoscope sign is Pisces. About her education, she graduated from Oakland Technical High School in 1963. She did not pursue higher education. She got married after graduation and worked as a keypunch operator before joining her sisters as a part of The Pointer Sisters.
Ruth Pointer Music Career
- Ruth Pointer started singing with the junior choir at her family’s church as a child. In 1972, her sisters, Bonnie, June, and Anita, convinced Ruth to join them in their music career, and “the Pointer Sisters” released their first album in 1973.
- Later, the group gained fame with songs like “Yes We Can Can” (1973), their country crossover hit, “Fairytale” (1974), and “How Long (Betcha Got a Chick on the Side)” before Bonnie’s exit in 1977. The trio then found their biggest success with singles such as “Fire” (1978), “He’s So Shy” (1980), and “Slow Hand” (1981).
- Next, the group found its biggest success with the release of the album “Break Out” in 1983. The album featured hits such as “Automatic”, “Jump (For My Love)”, a re-released version of “I’m So Excited”, “Neutron Dance”, and “Baby Come And Get It”. The singles “Automatic” and “Neutron Dance” led the group to win two Grammy Awards.
- In the year 1988, Ruth provided the singing voice of the character Rita in the Disney film “Oliver & Company”. She sang the song “Streets of Gold” as well as a reprise of the song “Why Should I Worry” with fellow cast member Billy Joel. The group was given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1994.
- In 2018, Ruth performed the National Anthem at the Boston Red Sox home opener game at Fenway Park!
- In October 2021, she competed in season six of “The Masked Singer” as “Cupcake”. She revealed upon her unmasking that she was supposed to perform on the show as part of a duo with her sister Anita in a duplicated and recolored Cupcake costume. Anita was dealing with an illness, forcing Ruth to perform alone.
Who is Ruth Pointer Husband?
Ruth Pointer has been married five times and has five children from her marriage. In 1965, her daughter Faun was born. In 1966 her son Malik was born. In 1978, her daughter Issa Rae was born. In 1993, her twins Conor and Ali were born.
The singer, Ruth, is the wife of Michael Sayles. Michael Sayles is the fifth husband of Ruth Pointer. In the year 1990, the duo got married. At age 47, she gave birth to twins, a boy named Conor and a daughter named Ali, in 1993. The family is enjoying their present life a lot. Her sexual orientation is straight.
Ruth’s first husband was Larry Woods with whom she was married on the 9th of August 1964. They have 2 children together, a daughter Faun and a son Malik. They got divorced in 1970.
Her second marriage was with Carl Abram in 1973 which lasted for a couple of years. They didn’t have any children together from their marriage.
Dennis Edwards was the third husband of Ruth Pointer. Dennis is a former member of the Temptations. They were married in 1974 and have a daughter named Issa Pointer. Both Issa Pointer and Ruth’s granddaughter Sadako Pointer (born in 1984) have performed as members of the Pointer Sisters.
In 1984, she married bassist, Don Boyette. After four years, in 1984, they divorced.
How much is Ruth Pointer Net Worth?
Ruth Pointer is an R&B artist performer whose net worth is estimated to have $8 million as of 2022. She has made a huge fortune from her music career which is her main source of wealth. Being the eldest member of the family vocal group “the Pointer Sisters”, she has released several songs and albums. She is also making a cool sum of money from the entertainment industry as well. She competed in season six of The Masked Singer as “Cupcake” in 2021. She is making a considerable sum of salary from her professional career. Ruth lives a lavish lifestyle right now.
Leave a Reply