Sam Bowie is a retired American basketball player, his professional career was blurred by recurrent injuries to his legs and feet. During his career, he averaged 5,564 (10.9 points), 3,845 rebounds (7.5rpg) and 909 blocks (1.8 bpg) per game. He hit 45.2% of his attempted field goals and 30.2% of his 3 point shots. To know more about him, you can read the below article.
What is Sam Bowie famous for?
- An American former professional basketball player.
Who are the parents of Sam Bowie?
Going back to his early life, Sam Bowie was born in Lebanon, Pennsylvania to his parents in the year 1961 as Samuel Paul Bowie. He is the son of Ben Bowie and Cathy Bowie. However, his parents were divorced when he was 12. Then, he lived with his maternal grandmother until going to college. He is an American nationality and belongs to White ethnicity. His birth sign is Pisces.
For education, he attended Lebanon High School in Lebanon, Pennsylvania. Later, he was selected by the University of Kentucky in a sports scholarship.
When did Sam Bowie pursue his sports career?
- Talking about his sports journey, Sam begins his career as a basketball player from his school days. He signed to play for the University of Kentucky and Coach Joe B. Hall in 1979.
- As a freshman during the 1979-80 season, He averaged 12.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game. He had 13 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks in Kentucky’s 97-78 victory over Florida State. He played nine minutes, fouling out with 2 points and 3 rebounds in a 55-54 loss to Duke.
- In the summer of 1980, He was picked for the United States Olympic men’s basketball team. The 1980 United States Olympic team was coached by Dave Gavitt and assisted by Larry Brown.
- His sophomore season saw him average 17.5 points, 9.1 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game. He was named a third-team NCAA Basketball All-American by the Associated Press.
- After the 1980-1981 season, a stress fracture in his left tibia was discovered, the injury caused him to miss the entire 1981-82 season. The stress fracture did not heal completely and he sat out the entire 1982-83 season as well.
- He returned for the 1983-84 season. Having not played in two years, he played in all 34 Kentucky games and averaged 10.5 points, 9.2 rebounds, and 1.9 blocks. He was named to the second-team All-American squad.
- In the 1984 NCAA Tournament, the Wildcats defeated Brigham Young 93-68, in-state rival Louisville 72-67 and Illinois 54-51 to advance to the Final Four in Seattle. He had 16 points and 6 rebounds against BYU, 8 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks against Louisville and 11 points and 14 rebounds against Illinois.
- Still, in 2005, highlighting his injury-laden college career, ESPN named the Blazers’ choice the worst draft pick in the history of North American professional sports. Also, that year, arguing that teams should draft for talent and not need, Sports Illustrated named him the biggest draft bust in NBA history.
- During his rookie season, Bowie played in 76 games and averaged 10 points and 8.6 rebounds, earning a spot on the NBA All-Rookie Team. However, in his second season, Bowie’s leg injuries recurred.
- His four seasons in New Jersey were his most productive, as he had no major injuries. He averaged 12.8 points and 8.2 rebounds per game and never missed more than 20 games in a season. His best season was his first with the Nets where he averaged a double-double with 14.7 points and 10.1 rebounds per game.
- After the 1992-93 season, He was traded, for Benoit Benjamin being sent from New Jersey to the Los Angeles Lakers. However, his leg injury problems recurred. He played in 92 games in the two seasons combined, starting in 17 of them. He decided to retire from professional basketball after the 1994-95 season. He desired to follow his passion and become involved in harness racing.
- Over his NBA career, He averaged 10.9 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.78 blocks per game. He hit 45.2% of his attempted field goals (2,127 made of 4,702 attempted), and 30.2% of his three-point shots (32 made of 106 attempted).
What is Sam Bowie doing now?
After he retired from basketball, Bowie returned to Lexington, Kentucky. Bowie is involved in harness racing, both owning and training horses that run at The Red Mile in Lexington.
Also, he was featured in an ESPN SEC Storied documentary, “Going Big.”
Who is Sam Bowie married to?
Sam Bowie was married to Heidi Bowie in 1986. Together, the couple blessed three kids named Marcus Bowie, Samantha Bowie, and Gabby Bowie. Presently, the couple seems to be happy and live blissful life to dates.
How much is Sam Bowie worth?
Sam Bowie earned the sum of a good amount of money and fame through his profession as a basketball player in the field of the sports industry. As per the online sites, he has reported $3 million net worth as of 2020. However, his salary and assets details are yet to be disclosed.
What is Sam Bowie’s height?
Sam Bowie has a height of 7 feet 1 inch. and he weighs around 107 Kg. His eyes are brown and his hair color is black. His other body information is still under review. Whenever we will be updated, we will let you know.