Sam Smith is a British singer and songwriter who has won four Grammy Awards, three Brit Awards, three Billboard Music Awards, and an American Music Award, as well as a Golden Globe and an Academy Award throughout their career. Performing on Disclosure’s breakthrough single “Latch” in October 2012, Sam came into public fame and later was featured on Naughty Boy’s “La La La”, which became a number-one single in May 2013.
Sam released their debut album, “In the Lonely Hour” (2014) followed by “The Thrill of It All” (2017), “Love Goes” (2020), and “Gloria” (2023). Sam’s popular tracks and EPs include Nirvana, Money on My Mind, I’m Not the Only One, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Too Good at Goodbyes, Promises (with Calvin Harris), Dancing with a Stranger (with Normani), How Do You Sleep?, and To Die For. In 2022, Smith’s single “Unholy” with Kim Petras, from Smith’s forthcoming fourth album Gloria (2023), became their first number-one single in the US.
What is Sam Smith Known For?
- Sam Smith is a Grammy-winning British singer-songwriter.
- Sam is best known for the hit singles “Latch”, “Lay Me Down”, “Stay with me”, “Like I Can”, and How Do You Sleep?”.
Who are Sam Smith’s Parents?
Sam Smith took birth on May 19, 1992, with the full name of Samuel Frederick Smith in London, England. Sam is the son of Kate Cassidy and Frederick Smith. Kate (Sam’s mum) was a successful banker who got fired after promoting her 15-year-old son’s singing career so allegedly during her company time. Sam grew up with his two siblings – Mabel Smith and Lily Smith. Sam’s present age is 30 as of 2022. Sam holds English ethnicity and belongs to British-White nationality. Smith started performing music during his childhood. The singer attended St Mary’s Catholic School in Bishop’s Stortford and was a member of the Bishop’s Stortford Junior Operatics and the Cantate Youth Choir. Sam is a member of the Bishops Stortford Musical Theatre Society.
Sam Smith Music Career
- Sam was an alumnus of Youth Music Theatre UK and had appeared in their 2007 production of a musical featuring entitled, “Oh! Carol”, the music of Neil Sedaka. Smith had been in jazz bands before entering the musical theatre.
- Smith released two singles before 2010, “Bad Day All Week” from 2008 and “When It’s Alright” from 2009. Further, Smith was featured on the Disclosure song “Latch” which was released on October 8, 2012.
- Sam recorded their debut studio album entitled “In the Lonely Hour” in May 2014 via Capitol Records. The album included the singles “Lay Me Down”, “Money on My Mind”, “Good Thing”, “Life Support”, “Stay with Me”, and “Not in That Way” among others.
- Smith’s first EP Nirvana was released in 2014. The first song on the EP, titled “Safe with Me”, is produced by Two Inch Punch and was the first broadcast on MistaJam’s BBC Radio 1Xtra show on 24 July 2013. The second song on the EP is titled “Nirvana” and is produced by Craze & Hoax and Jonathan Creek. It also includes Smith’s acoustic solo version of “Latch” and a live version of “I’ve Told You Now”.
- Sam also performed in March 2014 on Saturday Night Live, performing the gospel-tinged “Stay with Me” and an acoustic version of “Lay Me Down”.
- Sam then recorded the latest version of the track “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” at Sarm West Studios in Notting Hill, London, to raise money for the 2014 Ebola crisis in Western Africa.
- Smith and Jimmy Napes confirmed that they had composed “Writing’s on the Wall”, the theme song to Spectre, the 24th James Bond film. The song was released on 25 September 2015.
- Sam then recorded and released a second studio album entitled “The Thrill of It All” in November 2017 which debuted atop the US Billboard 200 and the UK Albums Chart. The album consists the songs including “Too Good at Goodbyes”, “Say It First”, “HIM”, “No Peace”, “Pray”, “Palace”, “One Last Song”, “Burning”, “Scars” and “Midnight Train” among others.
- Smith released the song “Dancing with a Stranger” with Normani in January 2019.
- Smith’s third studio album “Love Goes” was released on 30th October. The album consists of the songs “Young”, “Diamonds”, “Breaking Hearts”, “My Oasis”, “So Serious”, “For the Lover That I Lost” and “Another One” among others.
- Sam Smith announced their fourth studio album “Gloria”, slated for a January 2023 release. The album’s first single, “Love Me More,” was released on April 28, 2022, along with its music video. The other songs of the album are “No god”, “Lose You”, “Unholy”, “How To Cry”, “Six Shots”, “Gloria”, “Who We Love” and more.
- On 18 November, Smith released the single “Night Before Christmas”, which will be added to their EP The Holly & the Ivy.
Sam Smith Awards and Achievements
- Nominated for the 2014 Brit Critics’ Choice Award and the BBC’s Sound of 2014 poll, winning both
- Nominated for six Grammy Awards in December 2014
- Won four Grammy Awards in February 2015 at the 57th Annual Grammy Awards for his album ” In the Lonely Hour”
- Won the Golden Globe Award and the Academy Award for Best Original Song “Writing’s on the Wall”
- Nominated for Song of the Year at the 2020 Brit Awards for “Dancing with a Stranger”
- Won the Brit Awards for British Breakthrough Act, and Global Success for “Lay Me Down”
- Received three Billboard Awards: Top Male Artist, Top New Artist, and Top Radio Songs Artist at the 2015 Billboard Music Awards
- Named twice in the Guinness World Records due to his musical career
Sam Smith’s Net Worth In 2023
Sam Smith is a successful singer-songwriter who is one of the highest-earning music artists of all time. Sam’s net worth is estimated to have $45 million as of January 2023. Sam is making an annual salary of over $5 million annually as a singer. Sam’s income comes from multiple music platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, YouTube, etc.
Sam’s main source of wealth comes from the music industry. Sam has sold over 33 million albums and 227 million singles worldwide. Smith’s achievements include four Grammy Awards, three Brit Awards, and three Billboard Music Awards. Sam Smith has recently bought a Ferrari Portofino for $700,000 USD. Sam also owns an Alfa Romeo Stelvio that cost $90,000 USD. Sam’s other cars include Aston Martin DBX, BMW X8, and Mercedes-Benz G-Class.
Who is Sam Smith’s Partner?
Sam Smith is an unmarried man. Currently, Smith is dating his partner/boyfriend, François Rocci. Recently, they were spotted kissing each other. The duo is enjoying thier life a lot.
Sam is gay when it comes to his sexuality. In May 2014, Smith came out as gay. Since he is gay, he mostly had an affair with male personalities, and his relation could not last with other lady celebrities. In October 2017, he came out as genderqueer, saying, “I feel just as much a woman as I am a man” and speaking of a period in their youth where they “didn’t own a piece of male clothing and would wear full makeup while attending school”. In September 2019, they announced a decision to come out as non-binary and change their gender pronouns to they/them, stating, “After a lifetime of being at war with my gender I’ve decided to embrace myself for who I am, inside and out…”
Sam Smith previously dated Daisy Lowe in 2014. Being gay, Sam was in a relationship with the actor and model, Jonathan Zeizel. But the two split later. Also, they said, “I want to thank the man who this record is about, who I fell in love with last year. Thank you so much for breaking my heart because you got me four Grammys!” after Smith’s song Stay with Me won an award for “Record of the Year” at the 57th Annual Grammy Awards. In September 2017, actor Brandon Flynn and Sam started dating each other. They called time off in June 2018 after spending about 9 months together.
How tall is Sam Smith?
Sam Smith is a handsome singer who has a tall height of 6 ft 2 in or 1.88 m with a body weight of 92 Kg or 203 lbs. Sam has black hair color with a pair of blue eyes. Sam wears a shoe size of 12.5 (US). Sam was bullied for having gynecomastia as a child and underwent liposuction at age 12. Smith has an average body type with an attractive personality.
Sam has a tattoo of a bird on the inside of their left forearm, a pair of heels tattooed on the inside of their left wrist, a tattoo of a tiny anchor on their left forearm, and a cartoon dragon tattooed on their right bicep. In April 2021, Sam got a tattoo on their right bicep which depicts a young boy in underwear and high heels. The tattoo depicts their non-binary gender identity. Sam Smith is a total feminist.
Leave a Reply