Sandra Denton, better known by her stage named Pepa is famous for her performance in the all-female rap trio Salt-N-Pepa, whose hot song “Push It” was ranked 37 on VH1’s 100 Greatest Dance Songs. Let’s know more about her through this article.
What is Sandra Denton famous for?
- A Jamaican-American hip hop rapper and actress.
- Her work as a member of the Grammy Award-winning female rap trio Salt-N-Pepa.
Where is Sandra Denton from?
Recalling her early life, Sandra was born in Kingston, Jamaica to Jamaican parents Charles and Enid Hyacinth in the year 1969. Currently, she aged 50 years old. She is of American nationality and belongs to Afro-American ethnicity. Her birth sign Scorpio and she has seven siblings.
Talking about her childhood, Her parents moved to Queens, New York when she was three. She has been a performer since childhood. She released a book about her life in 2008 entitled “Let’s ‘Talk About Pep'” in which she talked about being molested, her many abusive relationships, and how Salt-N-Pepa formed.
Where is Sandra Denton educated?
Concerning her education, Sandra attended Logan High School where she was an only Black student during that time. Later, She was graduated from Springfield Gardens High School. After high school, She enrolled at Queensborough Community College to study nursing.
How Sandra Denton became a rapper?
- Upon graduation, Sandra begins to working as a customer service representative at Sears where she met Cheryl James. Together, they released a single called “The Showstopper” which became a moderate R&B hit in late 1985.
- They were joined with Latoya Hanson who was the original DJ of the group. Shortly after in 1986, Deidra Roper joined as the group’s DJ as a full-length debut album, Hot, Cool & Vicious, was being released.
- The trio released a total of five studio albums: “Hot, Cool, and Vicious” (1986), A Salt with a Deadly Pepa (1988), Blacks’ Magic (1990), Very Necessary (1993), and Brand New (1997), plus several greatest hits albums.
- Salt-N-Pepa disbanded in 2002, several months after their Brand New album was released on Red Ant Records. Her group member Cheryl James had stated she was ready to leave the music industry. The trio reunited for a performance on VH1’s Hip Hop Honors program on September 22nd, 2005.
- In 2005, She was a cast member of VH1’s The Surreal Life (season 5).
- Salt-N-Pepa reformed in 2008, and are still in the process of releasing an album since reforming as they work out past issues. She teamed up with James for VH1’s The Salt-N-Pepa Show.
Source: [email protected]
When did Sandra Denton begin her acting career?
- Moving towards her career, Sandra took her first step in the entertainment industry through the HBO drama named OZ.
- In January 2011, She appeared in an episode of the TBS sitcom “Are We There Yet?” as Tammy, a woman who falls for the Terry Crews character of Nick.
- Then, She joined the reality television show Growing Up Hip Hop as a supporting cast member in January 2016 along with her daughter Egypt and niece Tahira Francis.
- Also, She starred in her reality show on the network entitled Let’s Talk About Pep, a name play-off the group’s hit song “Let’s Talk About Sex”. She can also be heard speaking Jamaican Patois in the song “Need U Bad” by Jazmine Sullivan.
- Besides these, He released her autobiography, which was also entitled Let’s Talk About Pep in 2008. It was co-written by Karen Hunter, and it offered a look behind the fame, family, failures, and successes of her life in one of hip-hop’s most successful groups. It features an introduction by Queen Latifah and an epilogue by Missy Elliott.
Who is Sandra Denton married to?
Reflecting on her personal life, Sandra was married to Treach after dating for seven years. Their wedding ceremony was held at their home in Morristown, New Jersey on July 24th, 1999. They blessed a daughter named Egypt Jahnari Criss in 1998 before their marriage. After allegations of physical abuse by Treach, the couple divorced in 2001.
Then, she was in a romantic relationship with Aundre Dean in 2018 which make Dean married life turned in divorced. At present, she probably with him or somebody else, we don’t have exact information. Previously, she was also engaged with Prince Markie Dee during the mid-1980s. However, the couple was separated. The couple blessed a son named Tyan Jr. Denton.
How much is Sandra Denton’s worth?
Being a rapper by profession, Sandra earns a decent amount of money and fame through her profession as a rapper in the field of the entertainment industry. Based on some online reports, her estimated net worth said to be $15 million at present. However, the details of her assets and earnings were yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Sandra Denton?
Observing her body physics, Sandra stands a height of 5 feet 6 inches and weighs around 68 Kg. Similarly, she has a pair of black eyes and dark brown hair color. Further, She used a 36D, and her body measures 36-26-37 inches.