Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, is a prominent figure in the British royal family and a well-known public figure in her own right. Since her marriage to Prince Andrew, Duke of York, in 1986, she has been a media darling, and her every move has been watched and scrutinized by the press. Despite the challenges she has faced in her personal life, including a highly publicized divorce, Sarah has maintained a strong presence in the public eye.
In addition to her charity work, Sarah is an accomplished author and television personality. She has written a number of children’s books, including the popular Budgie series, and has also written several books for adults. In recent years, she has also worked as a producer on a number of television programs, including a documentary about the royal family. Despite her many accomplishments, Sarah remains best known for her role as a member of the royal family, and she continues to be a beloved figure in the hearts of many Britons.
Who are the Parents of Sarah Ferguson?
Sarah Ferguson was born with the full name of Sarah Margaret Ferguson in London, England, on October 15, 1959, to her parents; Major Ronald Ferguson and Susan Barrantes. Her parents divorced when she was 15 years old, and her mother remarried and moved to Argentina with her new husband. Sarah remained in England with her father on his estate in Dummer, Hampshire. She had one older sister, Jane, and three half-siblings from her father’s second marriage. Growing up, Sarah struggled with an eating disorder, turning to overeating for comfort. Despite her struggles, she came from an aristocratic family, with ancestry tracing back to King Charles II of England. She is British by nationality and her ethnicity is Mixed. She celebrated her 63rd birthday as of 2022.
Ferguson attended Daneshill School in Stratfield Turgis and Hurst Lodge School in Ascot. Although she did not excel academically, she showed promise in swimming and tennis. She also developed a passion for skiing and briefly worked as a chalet girl. During her teenage years, she worked as a cleaner and waitress. After completing a course at Queen’s Secretarial College at 18, Ferguson started working for an art gallery. She later worked in public relations firms in London and a publishing company, paving the way for her career in media and writing.
Sarah Ferguson Career Timeline
- Sarah Ferguson has been involved in several television and film projects throughout her career. In 2000, she co-produced and presented a documentary for BBC television titled In Search of the Spirit. Three years later, she co-hosted BBC Radio 2’s afternoon show Steve Wright for three days. In 2004, she hosted a production featurette for Universal’s DVD release of Peter Pan titled The Legacy of Pan, and later that year, she lent her voice to the role of the Queen in the DVD release of The Cat That Looked at a King, a story based on the Mary Poppins books by P. L. Travers.
- In 2008, Sarah served as a special correspondent for NBC’s Today Show and presented segments for a series called “From the Heart.” The same year, her two-part film The Duchess in Hull premiered on ITV1, where she helped a family in a council estate in Hull improve their lifestyle. She also produced the film The Young Victoria in 2009, which featured her daughter Princess Beatrice in a background role. In 2011, she starred in her own mini-series, Finding Sarah, on Oprah Winfrey Network, where she discussed her struggles in life and financial issues. In recent years, she has produced a TV documentary about Princess Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg and launched a series on her YouTube channel called Storytime with Fergie and Friends, where she and other authors read stories to children during the COVID-19 pandemic. In May 2022, she co-founded the independent production house Vestapol Films in Paris.
- Sarah Ferguson has made numerous appearances on both TV and radio throughout her career. In the UK, she participated in The Grand Knockout Tournament, also known as It’s a Royal Knockout, in 1987, where four teams sponsored by her, her former husband, and other members of the royal family competed for charity. She has also been a guest on popular British shows such as Parkinson in 2003 and This Morning in 2019, where she discussed the topic of “Natasha’s Law”. In the US, Sarah has made appearances on The Oprah Winfrey Show, first in 1996 and then in 1999, and later in 2010 for a special episode titled “Oprah and Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York,” where she addressed the “cash for access” scandal. She also made a cameo in the finale of the fourth season of Friends in 1998. In 2013, Sarah was interviewed for an episode of the Australian television show 60 Minutes titled “Seeing Red.”
- Sarah Ferguson is a British author who has written several books in various genres. In 1988, she published her first book titled “A Guard Within,” a novel that reflects on her own life experiences. She has also authored several children’s books, including “Budgie the Little Helicopter,” a series that was also adapted into a children’s animated television show in 1994. In addition, she has written books for young girls, such as “The Royal Switch” and “Bright Lights.” Furthermore, she has released several books on lifestyle and dieting in collaboration with Weight Watchers, including “Dining with The Duchess” and “Win the Weight Game.” Her latest release in the Helping Hands series is “Daisy Learns about Strangers” (2020). Sarah Ferguson has also written historical fiction books, including “Her Heart for a Compass” (2021) about Margaret and Mary Montagu Douglas Scott, and “A Most Intriguing Lady” (2023) which is expected to be released soon. She has written books on skiing and memoirs as well.
- Sarah Ferguson’s bibliography spans across several decades and genres, showcasing her versatility as an author. Her books, including “Victoria and Albert: A Family Life at Osborne House” (1991) and “Travels with Queen Victoria” (1993), shed light on British royalty. She has also authored children’s books such as “Little Red” and “Puddle Boots” series. In 2003, she published “What I Know Now: Simple Lessons Learned the Hard Way,” a self-help book that shares lessons she has learned throughout her life. “Tea for Ruby” (2008), “Ballerina Rosie” (2012), and “The Enchanted Oak Tree” (2020) are some of her other books for children. Ferguson’s bibliography is extensive, consisting of over 25 books, covering various genres from memoirs to historical fiction and children’s books. Her latest book, “A Most Intriguing Lady,” is expected to be released in 2023.
Sarah Ferguson Awards, Honors and Achievements
- 1991–1995: University of Salford, Chancellor
- 2016: University of Huddersfield, Visiting Professor of Philanthropreneurship
- On 23 February 1987, alongside her then-husband, she received the Freedom of the City of York.
- The rose cultivar Rosa ‘Duchess of York’ was named in her honor in 1994.
- In 1998, Sarah received the Journal of Women’s Health Award from Bernadine Healy.
- In 2001, she received Redbook magazine’s “Mothers & Shakers” Award.
- In 2004, she received Woman’s Day magazine’s “Women Who Inspire Us” Award.
- In February 2007, she was named Mother of the Year by the American Cancer Society.
- In 2007, she received the ONE X ONE Difference Award for humanitarian work benefiting children worldwide, presented at the Toronto Film Festival.
- In June 2018, she received the Humanitarian Award at the Filming Italy Sardegna Festival for her work with Children in Crisis.
- In June 2019, she received the Inspiration of the Year Award at Hello!’s Star Women Awards for her work with charity organizations, including Street Child.
- In July 2022, she received the Global Humanitarian Award at the 25th Magna Grecia Awards.
Who is Sarah Ferguson’s husband?
Sarah Ferguson was a married woman to Prince Andrew. On 19 March 1986, Prince Andrew announced his engagement to Sarah Ferguson. The couple, who had known each other since childhood, had reconnected at Royal Ascot in 1985, and Prince Andrew designed the engagement ring himself, featuring ten diamonds surrounding a Burmese ruby to complement Sarah’s red hair. After securing the Queen’s consent, the couple married on 23 July 1986 at Westminster Abbey. As Duchess of York, Sarah joined her husband in carrying out royal engagements, including official overseas visits. However, the couple faced criticism from the press, with Sarah being ridiculed for her weight, labeling her the “Duchess of Pork” and “Fat Fergie”.
Everything To Know About Prince Andrew
The couple became parents to two daughters, Beatrice and Eugenie. During her pregnancy, Sarah suffered from high blood pressure and excessive water retention. She also faced criticism from the press and media for leaving her newborn daughter at home in the UK while touring Australia with her husband. Despite her efforts to lose weight, Sarah continued to face negative press attention and discussed the negative effect it had on her self-esteem, making her eating disorder worse.
The Duke and Duchess of York, Andrew, and Sarah, announced their separation in March 1992, following difficulties in their marriage. Sarah had found life as a member of the royal family increasingly difficult, and her friendship with Steve Wyatt had gained much publicity. After the separation, Sarah moved to Romenda Lodge and endured public ridicule when the Daily Mirror published photographs of her with John Bryan. In March 1993, the formal separation agreement was settled, and the couple announced their mutual decision to divorce in April 1996. They shared custody of their children, and Sarah claimed to have received a settlement of £15,000 per year. However, subsequent information revealed that she had received more substantial financial support. Since the divorce, Sarah has attended some royal functions with her daughters, and she has hinted at the idea of remarrying Andrew in several interviews. She attended the state funeral of Queen Elizabeth II in September 2022 and was listed as a member of the royal family by the Lord Chamberlain’s Office, though not on the royal family’s website.
Following her divorce from Prince Andrew, the media continued to cover Sarah Ferguson’s life. In 1995, a baggage handler stole her $382,000 diamond necklace and bracelet at John F. Kennedy International Airport. Sarah endorsed Weight Watchers, Wedgwood, and Avon for over a decade. Until 2004, she shared Sunninghill Park in Berkshire with her ex-husband, but he moved to the Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park. Sarah rented Dolphin House in Englefield Green in 2007 but had to move back to Royal Lodge due to a fire in 2008. In 2009, she joined a family in a council estate in Manchester to advise them on living, which resulted in a much-criticized television program. In 2015, Sarah moved to Verbier, Switzerland, where she and the Duke of York owned a £13 million chalet. She also has a rented apartment in Eaton Square and a room at Royal Lodge in London. Sarah was named in the Panama Papers in April 2016.
Sarah Ferguson has had several romantic relationships over the years. These include Kim Smith-Bingham from 1981 to 1983, Paddy McNally from 1983 to 1985, Steve Wyatt from 1990 to 1992, John Bryan from 1992 to 1995, and Thomas Muster from 1996 to 1998. These relationships were often covered by the media, particularly her relationship with John Bryan, who was famously photographed sucking on her toes while she was sunbathing topless.
At the moment, Sarah is single and seems to be focused on her career. After her divorce from Prince Andrew, Sarah focused on building her business empire. She has had successful endorsements with companies such as Weight Watchers, Wedgwood, and Avon. Additionally, she has authored several books, including children’s books and memoirs. Sarah is also involved in charity work and has founded the Sarah Ferguson Foundation, which focuses on education, health, and poverty. With so much going on in her professional life, it seems that Sarah is content to remain single for the time being.
Sarah Ferguson, also known as the Duchess of York, is a philanthropist who has supported many charitable causes throughout her life. In the 1990s, she became a patron of several charities, including the Teenage Cancer Trust, the Motor Neurone Disease Association, and the Chemical Dependency Centre, where she participated in therapy sessions. She founded Children in Crisis in 1993, a charity focused on providing education and grants to international programs. Sarah was also involved with the American Cancer Society, Springboard for Children, and SOS Children’s Villages-USA, among others. She established The Sarah Ferguson Foundation in 2006, based in Toronto, which supports charities that serve children and families in need. In 2013, she founded Key To Freedom, a business structure for women in vulnerable situations in India, with her former husband, the Duke of York, and their daughters, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie.
Throughout her career as a philanthropist, Sarah Ferguson has received several awards and honors for her charitable work, including being named the official spokesperson for SOS Children’s Villages-USA and becoming a global ambassador for Ronald McDonald House Charities. She was appointed an ambassador for the Institute of Global Health Innovation at Imperial College London in 2014. In addition, she has been involved with several anti-poverty campaigns and initiatives, such as Michael Bloomberg’s anti-poverty campaign in New York. Sarah’s philanthropic work has focused on education, health, and family support, particularly for women and children in vulnerable situations. She has supported many charitable organizations both in the United Kingdom and internationally and continues to work on raising awareness and funds for various causes.
How rich is Sarah Ferguson?
Sarah Ferguson, also known as Sarah, Duchess of York, has a net worth of $1 million. Her career spans various television and film projects, including co-hosting on BBC Radio 2’s Steve Wright, serving as a correspondent on NBC’s Today, and producing films like The Young Victoria and In Search of the Spirit. While her salaries for these projects are unknown, she has been a guest on numerous shows, such as The Oprah Winfrey Show and Late Night with Conan O’Brien. Additionally, Fergie is an accomplished author with dozens of books, including Tea for Ruby and Heart for a Compass, under her belt. She recently signed a book deal with Serendipity Press to pen 22 books. When she married Prince Andrew in 1986, Fergie shared finances with him. After their 1996 divorce, they reached a settlement where she still received $19,800 per year from the royal family. She also reportedly received a donation from Queen Elizabeth to help with her daughters’ trust funds. Fergie worked with Weight Watchers for 11 years and partnered with brands like Avon and Wedgwood China.
Sarah Ferguson has had a tumultuous financial history. In the mid-1990s, she reportedly had a £4.2 million deficit in her bank account, which she paid off by going on a “four-year earning spree” in the United States. Sarah used the money she earned from her career as a film producer and writer to found Hartmoor LLC, a lifestyle company in the US, in 2006. However, the company collapsed in 2009, leaving Sarah with a debt of £630,000. She was later in a financial dispute with three firms and was summoned to court in the UK for unpaid bills. In August 2010, it was reported that Sarah might declare voluntary bankruptcy with debts of £5 million. In March 2011, it was revealed that Jeffrey Epstein had helped Sarah avoid bankruptcy by paying off some of her debts. She later admitted to getting money from Epstein and called it a “gigantic error”. In the summer of 2011, Finding Sarah aired on the OWN network. One episode of the U.S.-filmed reality series depicted Sarah meeting with Suze Orman, the internationally known financial advisor, receiving from Orman a strict lecture and practical advice on how to resolve her financial issues.
In May 2020, Sarah and her ex-husband, Prince Andrew, were in a legal dispute over debt from the 2014 purchase of their Swiss chalet. They had taken out a mortgage of £13.25 million and were expected to pay the remaining £5 million of the purchase price in cash installments by the end of 2019. Interest had increased this to £6.8 million. Despite reports that the Queen would assist them, a spokesperson for the Duke of York confirmed that she “will not be stepping in to settle the debt”. The Times reported in September 2021 that Sarah and Andrew had reached a legal agreement with the property’s previous owner, and would sell the house to pay back their debt. The owner agreed to receive £3.4 million, half of the amount that she was owed, as she had been under the impression that Sarah and Andrew were dealing with financial troubles. In August 2022, it was reported that Sarah had purchased a £5 million townhouse in Mayfair after the success of her novel, Her Heart for a Compass. Despite her previous financial troubles, Sarah appears to be back on her feet and pursuing new opportunities.
In May 2010, Sarah Ferguson was caught on video by an undercover reporter offering access to Prince Andrew for £500,000. She was seen taking away a briefcase containing £40,000 in cash. Although Sterling Publishers increased the print run of Sarah’s latest book for children after the incident, the notoriety did not translate into additional book sales. Sarah explained her behavior by saying that she had been drinking prior to soliciting the cash, and was “in the gutter at that moment”. In March 2022, it was reported that Sarah received at least £225,000 from businessman Selman Turk and an additional £25,000 was sent to the bank account of her younger daughter Eugenie, reportedly “to pay for a surprise birthday party for the Duchess”. Sarah was owed £225,000 by Pegasus Group Holdings for her role as a brand ambassador, but she received the full amount from Turk, who was then set to reclaim the money from Pegasus.
How tall is Sarah Ferguson?
Sarah Ferguson has an average height of 5 ft 7½ in or 171.5 cm and a weight of approximately 68 kg or 150 lbs. Her body type is average, which suits her well. Despite being in her sixties, she has maintained a healthy lifestyle that allows her to stay active and vibrant. She is also known for her graceful appearance, which includes a pair of striking blue eyes and red-colored hair. Her beauty, combined with her personality, has made her a beloved figure in the public eye.
Sarah’s natural beauty is accentuated by her blue eyes and red hair, which create a striking contrast. Her style is simple yet elegant, and she always looks put-together, whether attending a formal event or running errands. As a public figure, she has been open about her struggles with weight and self-confidence, which has made her relatable to many women. Despite these challenges, she has managed to maintain a positive attitude and inspire others to embrace their uniqueness. Sarah’s beauty and grace, coupled with her down-to-earth personality, have made her a role model for many.