Sir Thomas Sean Connery, better known as Sean Connery, was an Academy award-winning Scottish actor and producer who was mostly known for his starring role as James Bond in seven Bond films: “Dr. No”, “From Russia with Love”, “Goldfinger”, “Thunderball”, “You Only Live Twice”, “Diamonds Are Forever”, and “Never Say Never Again”.Conner was the first actor to portray the legendary character, James Bond in film.
He won an Academy Award for his role as an Irish-American cop in Brian De Palma’s The Untouchables in 1987. He had won one Academy Award, two BAFTA Awards, and three Golden Awards throughout his career. He also was listed in the People’s magazine 1989 list of “Sexiest Man Alive” and its 1999 list of “Sexiest Man of the Century”.
Connery also had acted in various successful movies like “Marnie”, “Highlander”, “The Rock”, “The Wind and the Lion”, and “A Bridge Too Far”. He also was knighted in the 2000 New Year Honours for services to film drama. Before his acting career, he also was in United Kingdom’s Royal Navy from 1946-1949.
After leaving his mark on the Hollywood industry, Connery took retirement from his acting career which he announced after receiving the American Film Institute’s Lifetime Achievement Award on June 8, 2006.
His portrayal of James Bond in seven successful films gave the character life in Hollywood and the character of Bond was selected as the third-greatest hero in cinema history by the American Film Institute. On October 31, 2020, Connery passed away at age of 90 in his sleep at his home in the Lyford Cay community of Nassau in the Bahamas.
What was Sean Connery famous for?
- Famous as a late Academy award-winning Scottish actor and producer
- Known for his starring role as James Bond in seven Bond’s film
Where was Sean Connery from?
Sean Connery was born on August 25, 1930, in Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, Scotland. His birth name is Sir Thomas Sean Connery. Scottish is his nationality. His ethnicity is White. He is of Irish descent while Virgo is his zodiac sign.
Connery was born as the eldest son to his poor parents; Joseph Connery(father) and Euphemia McBain(mother). His Roman Catholic father, Joseph was a factory worker and lorry driver while his Protestant mother, Euphemia was a cleaning woman. Sean was raised along with his younger brother, Neil Niren Connery, and a sister, Carly Simon in a neighborhood that had rubber mills and breweries.
He even used to sleep in a bureau drawer while he was an infant as his parents could not afford a crib for him.
Connery did his early schooling at Tollcross Elementary School during which he was good at mathematics and also had a keen interest in reading. He even used to go fishing with his brother and skipped school for extracurricular activities. He was also a keen footballer as he grew up playing football for Bonnyrigg Rose in his younger days.
He dropped out the school at age of 13, to support his family financially and worked as a milkman in Edinburgh. Three years later at age of 16, he joined the Royal Navy and trained in Portsmouth but was discharged at age of 19 due to his stomach ulcer. Upon returning, he worked as a truck driver, laborer, lifeguard, and coffin polisher to support his family.
Connery began bodybuilding at the age of 18 and trained heavily in 1951. He even competed in several bodybuilding competitions. At the same time, he helped out backstage at the King’s Theatre to earn few pennies but it turned out to be good for him as he became interested in proceedings soon.
When he was 23, he went to London to participate in “Mr. Universe” later gave an audition for the stage production of the South Pacific. He was then selected for the role of one of the Seabees chorus boys.
Sean Connery’s Death
Sean Connery died in his sleep on October 31, 2020, at his home in the Lyford Cay community of Nassau in the Bahamas. He was 90 years old man at the time of his death. His death was announced by his family and Eon Productions that same day, his son even said that Sean had been unwell for a few days.
Following the announcement of his death, several of his co-stars and friends from Hollywood paid tribute to the legend including Sam Neill, Nicolas Cage, Robert De Niro, Tippi Hedren, George Lucas, and Shirley Bassey. Some saying Connery as “one of the true greats of cinema.”
Sean Connery’s Career Legacy
- Sean Connery’s early career started when he became friends with the American director and actor Robert Henderson, who introduced him to Maida Vale Theatre in London.
- He then performed for few TV series and movies alongside theatre with his minor roles in “No Road Back”(first role), “Action of the Tiger” and “Time Lock”.
- Connery got his first major role as MArk Trevor alongside Lana Turner in the melodrama, “Another Time, Another Place” in 1958.
- He got his first lead role in Robert Stevenson’s film, “Darby O’Gill and the Little People” in 1959.
- He also had prominent television roles in Rudolph Cartier’s 1961 productions of “Adventure Story” and “Anna Karenina” for BBC Television.
- Connery got his lifetime breakthrough when he was approached for the role of British secret agent James Bond in the movies based on Ian Fleming’s best-selling novels in 1961.
- He is the first actor to play the James Bond character and has starred in seven Bond films: “Dr. No”(1962), “From Russia with Love”(1963), “Goldfinger”(1964), “Thunderball”(1965), “You Only Live Twice”(1967), “Diamonds Are Forever”(1971), and “Never Say Never Again”(1983).
- Apart from Bond movies, Connery also starred in other films such as Alfred Hitchcock’s “Marnie”(1964), Sidney Lumet’s “The Hill”(1965), “Murder on the Orient Express”(1974), “The Untouchables”(1987), and Steven Spielberg’s “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade”(1989).
- His subsequent box-office hits include “The Hunt for Red October”(1990), “The Russia House”(1990), “The Rock”(1996), and “Entrapment”(1999).
- He also voiced the role of Draco the dragon in the film, “Dragonheart”.
- He also appeared in critically acclaimed movies, “First Knight”(1995), “Just Cause”(1995), “The Avengers”(1998), and “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen”(2003).
- In 2005, he recorded voiceovers for a new video game version of his Bond film, “From Russia with Love”.
- He announced his retirement from acting on 8 June 2006, while receiving the “Lifetime Achievement Award” from American Film Institute.
Awards and Honors
- 1 Academy Award
- 2 BAFTA Awards
- 3 Golden Awards
- Honored with Lifetime Achievement Award from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films in 1995.
- Received Kennedy Center Honor for ‘Lifetime Achievement’ in 1999.
- Knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in July 2000.
- Honored by the American Film Institute with a “Lifetime Achievement Award” in 2006.
- In his honor, a bronze bust sculpture was placed in Tallinn, Estonia in 2010.
Sean Connery’s Wife and Children
Sean Connery had been married two times throughout his lifetime. His first marriage was with actress Diane Cilento. Cilento was an Australian actress known for her role in the hit movie, “Tom Jones” with whom Connery got married secretly in December 1962. They remained married for almost 11 years until they got divorced in 1973. They together had a son named Jason Connery. Jason is only his son who is also a British actor, voice actor, and director.
Cilento later in her 2006 autobiography alleged that Sean had abused her mentally and physically during their relationship as Sean reportedly claimed to hit a woman was no big deal. Later, he denied the sayings and said that hitting a woman wasn’t acceptable.
After his first separation, he dated several other beautiful women including Jill St. John, Lana Wood, Carole Mallory, and Magda Konopka. Just two years later of his divorce, Connery got married to his second and last wife, Micheline Roquebrune. Born in 1929, Roquebrune is a Moroccan-French painter with whom Connery got married in 1975. He remained with his second wife until he died in 2020.
Sean was also rumored to have an affair with the British singer and songwriter Lynsey de Paul back then.
Sean Connery’s Net Worth
Sean Connery was a multi-millionaire legendary actor who had quite healthy earnings from his stable and successful career as an actor especially the greatest role of James Bond. Having his career started in 1979 that lasted for over 50 years and still ongoing, Connery had easily managed to amass a million worth fortune from his over 50 films.
With his several movies and shows, Connery had managed to amass a wealthy fortune estimated to be around $350 million. Also back then, he was offered the role of Gandalf in “The Lord of the Rings” series for which he was reportedly offered $30 million along with 15 percent of the worldwide box office receipts that would have earned him altogether $450 million but he declined it.
Even after the loss of million dollars, Connery holds a million worth net worth more than enough for living a lavish and luxurious lifestyle.
Connery also had owned the Domaine de Terre Blanche in the South of France for 20 years(from 1979) where he even planned to build his dream golf course on the 266 acres of land but later sold it to German billionaire Dietmar Hopp in 1999.
He also owned a mansion in Lyford Cay on New Providence and had a grand villa in Kranidi, Greece. In Greece, his neighbor was King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, with whom he shared a helicopter platform as well. He also faced accusations of being a tax exile, for which he produced documents of him paying tax to the UK in 2003.
Sean Connery’s Height
Sean Connery was a handsome man who had the same Baritone voice and looks even in his old days until he died in 2020. He was a masculine man since his younger age as he grew rapidly around the age of 12, reaching his full adult height of 6ft. 2inch.(188 cm). He even was a bodybuilder at the time with a well maintained athletic body physique with 43 inches as his chest size, 33 inches as his waist size, and 13 inches as his bicep size with 12(US) as his biceps size.
Connery had a height of 6ft. 2inch.(1.89 m) while his body weighs around 87kg(190 lbs). He had a very manly sexy look with bald hair and brown eyes. He was even named the “Sexiest Man Alive” in 1989 and “The Sexiest Man of the Century” in 1999. He also had two tattoos; one reading “Mum and Dad” and the other love for his country, “Scotland Forever”.