Shane Patrick Michael Duffy, professional known as Shane Duffy is an Irish professional football player who plays for Scottish Premiership club Celtic, on loan from Brighton & Hove Albion of the Premier League, and the Republic of Ireland national team as a defender. He started his football career as a youth and played Gaelic football for Doire Colmcille CLG and association football for Foyle Harps.
However, he chooses association football and came to the youth academy of Everton in 2008. He completed his development in the youth and got promoted into the senior team of Everton in 2009. There he spent most of the time at the club out of loan: Burnley (2011), Scunthorpe United (2011), and Yeovil Town (2013-2014). In 2014, he joined Blackburn Rovers for an undisclosed fee, spending two years with the Lancashire club. In 2016, he moved to Brighton where he earned a promotion to the Premier League. Currently, on 2 September 2020, he joined Celtic on a season-long loan.
On international levels, Shane Duffy has represented the Republic of Ireland at various age levels. He used to play for Northern Ireland at the youth international level before switching allegiance to the Republic of Ireland. He made his debut for the senior team in 2014 and represented the country at UEFA Euro 2016.
What is Shane Duffy Famous For?
- Won 2017, 2018 FAI Senior International Player of the Year.
- Won the 2018-19 Brighton & Hove Albion Player of the Year.
- Won the 2019-20 Scottish Cup.
Where is Shane Duffy From?
Shane Duffy was born on 1 January 1992. His birth name is Shane Patrick Michael Duffy. His birthplace is Derry, Northern Ireland. He was born to Siobhan Duffy and Brian Duffy. In May 2020, Duffy’s father, Brian, passed away at age of 53. Due to which he suffered a family bereavement that saw him miss a match during his playing career. He attended a school called St Anne’s in the Republic of Ireland and supported Celtic growing up. His horoscope is Capricorn.
Shane Duffy Football Career Timeline
- He started his football career as a youth for Foyle Harps.
- In 2008, he joined the youth academy of Everton.
- Manager David Moyes named him and several young players in the first team for the preseason friendlies and he scored his first Everton goal against Rochdale in a 4–0 victory.
- In the 2009-110 season, he was promoted to the senior team and appeared on the substitute bench in league matches.
- In 2009 December, he made his professional debut versus AEK Athens in the UEFA Europa League, coming on for the injured Sylvain Distin.
- He made his home debut against BATE Borisov at Goodison Park.
- On 24 March 2011, he joined Burnley on loan for an initial 28-day loan with the possibility of an extension until the end of the 2010–11 season and made his debut against Ipswich Town, playing the full 90 minutes.
- After his return from loan, on 31 August 2011, he joined Scunthorpe United on loan and made his debut on 10 September 2011 against Sheffield United, where he won the Man of the Match award for his performances.
- On 29 October 2011, he scored his first goal for the club in a win against Tranmere Rovers.
- Again after his return, on 26 September 2013, he joined Championship club Yeovil Town on an initial month loan and made his debut in a draw against Bolton Wanderers.
- There he helped the side kept two consecutive clean sheets in two matches against Watford and Blackpool.
- On 1 January 2014, when the transfer window re-opened, he again rejoined Yeovil Town on loan until the end of the season.
- On 1 March 2014, he scored his first goal for the club in a draw against Reading.
- Having brilliant performances, he became a first-team regular for Yeovil Town throughout the 2013–14 season.
- On 1 September 2014, he joined Blackburn Rovers on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee and the initial payment was understood to be in the region of £400,000.
- On 17 September 2014, he made his debut for the club, coming on as a late substitute in a loss against Derby County.
- On 4 November 2014, he scored his first goal in a draw against Millwall.
- Following the impressive performances, on 26 August 2016, he signed a four-year deal with the then Championship side Brighton & Hove Albion for an undisclosed fee. It had been reported by The Mirror that the transfer cost the Seagulls a club record fee of £4 million, after turning down an extension to his contract at Blackburn Rovers.
- On 27 August 2016, he made his debut for the club in a loss against Newcastle United.
- There he helped the side kept four consecutive clean sheets against Huddersfield Town, Burton Albion, Barnsley, and Ipswich Town.
- On 13 December 2016, he scored his first goal for the club in a win against Blackburn Rovers.
- With his contribution, he has helped Brighton gain promotion to the Premier League in 2016–17 by making over 30 league appearances for the club.
- In the summer following Brighton’s promotion, he signed a new contract with the club, extending his stay on the south coast to June 2021.
- On 2 September 2020, he joined Celtic on a season-long loan and scored on his Celtic debut in a win over Ross County.
Shane Duffy International Career
- He has represented the Northern Ireland national team at various age levels.
- He played for Northern Ireland at the youth international level before switching allegiance to the Republic of Ireland.
- In May 2010, he was called up to the Republic of Ireland U19 training camp.
- In May 2011, he was called up for the Republic of Ireland U21 friendly versus Portugal.
- On 11 October 2011, he scored his first Republic of Ireland U21 goal, in a win against Liechtenstein U21.
- Following his impressive performances for the Republic of Ireland U19, U20 team, he was called up to the senior national team.
- He made his debut for the senior team in 2014 and represented the country at UEFA Euro 2016.
- On 2 September 2017, Duffy scored his first Republic of Ireland goal in a draw against Georgia.
Shane Duffy Wife and Children
Shane Duffy has been dating Catherine Carlin. Although they aren’t married, they have been in a living together relationship. The couple has two children together. They are a boy and a girl. Though he is in a relationship with Catherine Carlin and his two children, Duffy seems to be having a relationship and a one-night stand without knowing from his girlfriend. In 2017, Daniella Francesca a girl from his one-night stand, took his photo privately while he was sleeping and made it public on social media, where the photo went viral within a few minutes. Later on, in 2018, he was rumored to be dating Katie Price. As of 2021, he is now reported to be single.
Shane Duffy Height
Shane Duffy stands at a height of 1.93m i.e. 6 feet 4 inches tall. He has an athletic body build. He has a bodyweight of 76kg. His eye color is dark grey and his hair color is dark brown. His sexual orientation is straight.
Shane Duffy Salary and Net Worth
Shane Duffy earns from his professional career as a football player. His income is from contracts, salaries, bonuses, and endorsements. He has several club records. As of 2021, his estimated net worth is approximately $5 million and his base salary is about $2 million. He is living a luxurious life.