An American middle-distance runner, as well as the American record holder at both 1500 meters and 5000 meters, is named for Shelby Houlihan. She is a 12-time All-American at Arizona State University and also she was the NCAA 1500m champion in 2014 and made the final in the 5000m at the 2016 Summer Olympics. She was the 2011 Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year awards Girls Track and Field Runner of the Year and the 2010 Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year awards Girls Cross Country Runner of the Year during her school time. What’s more, she claimed eight Drake Relays crowns, while also earning the title of Drake Relays Outstanding Female High School Performer for being the first female athlete from a high school to win three events in one year. On 14th June, she received a four-year ban from the sport due to a positive nandrolone test.
Shelby Houlihan was banned after testing positive for a steroid
Olympic runner Shelby Houlihan said she has been banned from the sport for four years following a positive test for anabolic steroids that she attributes to eating a pork burrito. She said she was devastated to learn of the suspension from the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU), an independent body that combats doping after she tested positive for nandrolone. She said in a post on Instagram Monday that a burrito she ate before the test contained pig organ meat, or offal, which she said can lead to a positive test for nandrolone. A study funded by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) found trace amounts of nandrolone can be found in that kind of meat and warned about the possibility of a false positive. She stated she received an email from AIU on January 14, 2021, informing her that a drug test she took on December 15, 2020, returned positive for nandrolone.
- Being an American middle-distance runner.
- Being an American record holder at both 1500 meters and 5000 meters.
Who are the Parents of Shelby Houlihan?
On 8th February 1993, Shelby Houlihan was born. Her place of birth and hometown is in Sioux City, Iowa, the USA where she raised up and experienced her childhood. She holds American nationality and she belongs to American-White ethnicity. Her birth full name is Shelby Christine Prince Houlihan. She celebrated her 28th birthday as of 2021 with her dear ones. She is the daughter of her mother, Connie, and her father, Bob Houlihan. She also has a sibling, an older sister named Shayla. Her mother and uncle were both competitive runners, as well as her half-sister. Aquarius is her Zodiac sign and she follows the Christianity religion.
For her education, Shelby Houlihan attended East High School from where she graduated in 2011 and later attended Arizona State University for college.
How was the Career of Shelby Houlihan?
- During Shelby’s high school time, she held high school personal records of 4:43.64 in the one-mile run, 2:07.35 in the 800-meter run, and 4:26.39 in the 1500 meter run.
- Additionally, she was the 2011 Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year awards Girls Track and Field Runner of the Year, and the 2010 Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year awards Girls Cross Country Runner of the Year.
- Shelby was the 2014 NCAA champion in the 1500 meters at Arizona State University as a junior and was the first student at Arizona State University to win a national individual title in the outdoor 1,500.
- Not only this but also, she was a 12-time NCAA Division I All-American, the second most in Arizona State history, and an NCAA Track champion.
- Surprisingly, she holds Arizona State Sun Devils school records in the 800 meters, 1500 meters, one mile, and 3000 meters.
- After then, she competed for Nike and the Bowerman Track Club under coach Jerry Schumacher in the year 2015.
- She qualified for the 2014 North American, Central American, and Caribbean Athletic Association Championship in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. Also, she won gold in the 800 meters in 2:03.00 ahead of Rachel Francois and Jenna Westaway.
- For the 2016 Summer Olympics, she qualified in the women’s 5000 meters where she finishing second in the US trials to Molly Huddle. Similarly, she placed fourth in her heat in the 5000 m preliminary at the Olympics, qualifying her for the final where she placed 11th with a time of 15:08.89, finishing as the highest-placing American.
- Her hometown’s minor league hockey team, the Sioux City Musketeers, honored her after the Olympics with an ovation and ceremonial first puck.
- At the 2016 Fifth Avenue Mile, she positioned 6th in 4:23.0. Then, she qualified for the London 2017 World Championships in the women’s 5000 meters after winning the 5000 meters at the 2017 USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships where she ran 15:00.37 to place 3rd in the prelims and ran 15:06.40 to place 13th in the final.
- She passed Fantu Worku to place 5th (8:50.38) in the 3000 meters final and 4th in 4:11.93 at the 1500 meters final for the 2018 IAAF World Indoor Championships.
- She has also won the 3000 meters (9:00.08) and the 1500 meters (4:13.07) titles at the 2018 USA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- She placed second in the 1500 m at the 2018 IAAF Continental Cup.
- She set a personal best and new American record of 3:54.99 in the final of the 1500m, finishing in 4th place at the 2019 World Outdoor Championships.
- She broke her own American record in the 5000m in a time of 14:23.92, just ahead of teammate Karissa Schweizer in 14:26.34 at a Bowerman Track Club time trial on 10th July 2020.
- On 14th June 2021, she received a four-year ban from the sport due to a positive nandrolone test. Later, she stated “I’ve never taken any performance-enhancing substances and that includes the one of which I have been accused. … I believe doping and cheating is weak. … I would never disrespect the sport, my competitors, my teammates, my coaches, my family, and my fans this way”.
Awards, Achievements, and Titles
- 800 m: 1:59.92 (Azusa 2019)
- Indoor Mile: 4:24.16i (Boston 2017)
- 1500 m: 3:54.99 AR (Doha 2019)
- 5000 m: 14:23.92 AR (Portland 2020)
Who is Shelby Houlihan Husband?
Shelby Houlihan is an unmarried lady. But she is not single as of today. She is in a love affair with her sweetheart. She is currently dating her handsome boyfriend whose name goes by Matthew Centrowitz. She has fallen into late-night computer game marathons with her boyfriend who won the 1500-meter trophy at the 2016 Olympics. As of now, the duo is enjoying their present life happily without any disturbances. With the passage of time, their love bond is going strong. Her sexual orientation is straight. Houlihan resides in Portland, Oregon.
What is the Net Worth of Shelby Houlihan?
As of 2021, the net worth of this famous runner is estimated to have $1 Million – $5 Million. Her major source of wealth comes from running in several tournaments. Whereas her exact salary is still to get disclosed yet but there is no doubt in the mind of her followers that she is making a considerable amount of money from her work. She is living a standard lifestyle from her earnings.
How tall is Shelby Houlihan?
Athletic bodybuilder, Shelby Houlihan stands at the perfect height of 1.60 m. She maintained her body a lot being a runner. Her weight consists of 53 KG. She is a very charming lady and has got a very glowing face attracting a lot of people towards her. Overall, she has got a healthy body with a cool personality. Her other body size is unavailable at the moment. Her hair color is blonde and her eye color is pale green. She has also inked a lot of tattoos on her body.