Simon Thorup Kjær famed Simon Kjær is a Danish professional footballer. He plays as a center-back for Italian club Milan and captains the Denmark national team. Previously, he has played for FC Midtjylland, Palermo, VfL Wolfsburg, Roma, Lille LOSC, Fenerbahçe, Sevilla, Atalanta, and more. He started playing football when he was four years old. He was one of the first players to graduate from FCM’s football academy, the first of its kind in Denmark, coming through the system alongside Midtjylland teammates Jesper Weinkouff, Christian Sivebæk, and former teammate, Winston Reid. What’s more, he was also named 2007 Danish under-19 talent of the year and 2009 Danish Talent of the Year. Till now, he has played more than 100 games for Denmark, including participation at the FIFA World Cup in 2010 and 2018, and the UEFA European Championship in 2012 and 2020.
Euro 2020 Player Of The Tournament Front-Runner: Denmark’s Simon Kjær
After Christian Eriksen’s collapse due to cardiac arrest in Denmark’s Euro 2020 opener against Finland, Danish captain Simon Kjær earned admiration around the globe for his actions. It was Kjær who was among the first to identify the severity of the situation, and the center back-from inside his own half-rushed toward Finland’s corner flag before stabilizing Eriksen on his side, clearing his airways and starting CPR before medical staff arrived. Kjær then organized a protective circle with Thomas Delaney to create what team doctor Morten Boesen called “optimal” working conditions. From there Kjær could be seen consoling Sabrina Kvist, Eriksen’s partner and the mother of their two children. It remains an incredibly difficult but moving image to look at.
Everything You Need To Know About Christian Eriksen
- Being a Danish professional footballer.
- For playing as a center back for Italian club Milan.
What is the Nationalityof Simon Kjær?
Birth name by Simon Thorup Kjær, his born date is 26th March 1989. As per his birth date, his present age is 32 as of 2021. He holds Danish nationality and his ethnicity is Danish-White. His race is White. He is from Horsens, Denmark. He was born to his mother, Lotte Kjær, and his father, Jorn Kjær. He also has a sibling, a sister named Alberte Kjær. Aries is his Zodiac sign and he follows the Christianity religion. Growing up, he idolized John Terry and Fabio Cannavaro and supported Liverpool. While his father was supportive of him becoming a footballer, his mother, a teacher, was not.
Simon began his playing career by joining the local Danish club, Lund IF before moving to the youth team of FC Midtjylland. Despite not liking studying while attending school, Kjær was able to receive his diploma.
How was the Football Career of Simon Kjær?
- Simon Kjær started playing football when he was four years old. He then joined club Lund IF before moving to the youth team of Danish Superliga club FC Midtjylland in 2004. He was named the best player of a French youth tournament in April 2006.
- He made his senior debut for Midtjylland in the Viasat Cup training matches in June 2006. He then signed his first professional contract in August 2006 keeping him until 2009. Later, he signed a five-year contract with Midtjylland instead in September 2007.
- He made his Superliga debut on 30th September 2007, in the 2-0 victory against AGF. He went on to play three more matches in the first half of the Danish Superliga 2007-08 season.
- He signed a five-year contract with Italian club Palermo in February 2008, effective from summer 2008, earning Midtjylland a €4 million transfer fee. On 26th October 2008, he made his Palermo debut against Fiorentina in Serie A. He scored his first goal for Palermo in his third appearance on 2nd November 2008.
- He ended the 2008-09 season as the club’s top-scoring defender in Serie A with three goals in 27 appearances in all competitions.
- At the end of the 2009-10 season, he scored twice in a total of 35 Serie A games (which was 38 appearances and scoring two times in all competitions).
- He signed a contract with VfL Wolfsburg for an undisclosed fee believed to be in excess of £10 million. Following his move to Wolfsburg, Kjær said: “The transfer means I have the chance to play for a top club, I think this is the right step for me. We have a strong team that can challenge at the top of the Bundesliga. First, I need to secure a regular place.” The deal made Kjær the most expensive Danish footballer of all time.
- He then made his unofficial debut for VfL Wolfsburg in a pre-season fixture against FC Augsburg. His VfL Wolfsburg debut came on 15th August 2010, starting the whole game, in a 2-1 win against Preußen Münster in the first round of the DFB-Pokal.
- On 22nd January 2011, he scored his first Bundesliga goal against Mainz 05. During the 2010-11 season, he made 34 appearances and scoring once in all competitions.
- Italian side Roma revealed the club is on the verge of signing Kjær on a €10 million move from Wolfsburg. He went out on a season-long loan deal to Roma, with the option to purchase at the end of the season on 30th August 2011.
- He made his debut for Roma against Inter Milan on 17th September 2011. In the 2011-12 season, Kjær made 24 appearances in all competitions.
- After playing for Roma, he returned to Wolfsburg and made his first appearance for Wolfsburg in the opening game of the 2012-13 season against VfB Stuttgart.
- On 2nd December 2012, he scored his first goal of the season, in a 1-1 draw against Hamburger SV. At the end of the 2012-13 season, he went on to make 25 appearances and scoring two times in all competitions.
- On 5th July 2013, it was announced that he had signed a four-year deal with Ligue 1 side, Lille. He made his Lille debut in the opening game of the season against FC Lorient. On 21st January 2014, he scored his first goal for the club against Iris Club de Croix.
- He suffered a thigh injury during a match against Lorient on 17 January 2015. During the 2014-15 season, he went on to make 42 appearances and scoring three times in all competitions.
- It was announced on 16th June 2015 that he joined the Turkish side of Fenerbahçe, signing a four-year deal for €7.65 million.
- He made his Fenerbahçe debut, starting the whole game, in a 0-0 draw against Shakhtar Donetsk. He made his league debut for Fenerbahçe, starting the whole game, as they drew 1-1 against Çaykur Rizespor. He scored his first goal for Fenerbahçe, in a 2-1 win against Sivasspor on 28th December 2015.
- He made 45 appearances and scoring two times in all competitions in the 2015-2016 season.
- He captained in both legs of the UEFA Champions League Third Round Qualifying Round against AS Monaco at the start of the 2016-2017 season. Later, he was plagued with injuries on five occasions. He went on to make 43 appearances and scoring three times in all competitions with the club.
- On 2nd August 2017, he joined the Spanish side of Sevilla, signing a four-year deal for a transfer fee of €12,500,000 & made his Sevilla debut against RCD Espanyol.
- He scored his first goal for the club, in a 5-1 loss against Spartak Moscow on 17 October 2017. He then suffered a back injury that kept him out for a month. He started in the next five matches for Sevilla since returning from injury.
- At the end of the 2017-18 season, he made 27 appearances and scoring three times in all competitions.
- At the start of the 2018-19 season, he started the whole game in the Supercopa de España against Barcelona, as Sevilla lost 2-1.
- During his 2018-2019 season, he made 37 appearances in all competitions. I was expected that he’ll be leaving Sevilla ahead of the 2019-20 season.
- He was loaned to Atalanta on 1st September 2019 and made his Atalanta debut, starting the whole game, in a 2-0 win against Roma on 24th September 2019.
- He signed with Milan on loan for the rest of the 2019-20 season on 13th January 2020 with the option to make the transfer permanent for an undisclosed sum. On 15th January 2020, he made his debut for the club against S.P.A.L.
- He would make 11 more appearances for Milan (9 in Serie A and 4 in Coppa Italia) before the club bought him out from Sevilla for €3.5 million on 15 July 2020, the expiry date of the buy-out clause in his loan deal.
- He signed a permanent deal with Milan until 30 June 2022 on 15th July 2020.
- For the team, he scored his first goal for the Rossoneri in a 1-1 away draw against Manchester United in the first leg of the Europa League round of 16 ties on 11th March 2021.
- On 19th September 2006, Simon made his only appearance for Denmark U18 against Slovakia U18.
- Then, he made his debut for the Denmark national under-19 football team on 6 September 2006 against Portugal U19.
- He was called up for the Denmark national under-21 football team in May 2008 making his debut match against Germany under-21s. He went on to make two appearances for the U21 side.
- He made his only Denmark U20, coming against France U20 on 19 November 2008.
- He was called up to the senior Danish national team in February 2009. He was once again a part of the senior squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification game against Sweden on 6th June 2009.
- On 28 May 2010, Denmark coach Morten Olsen announced that the player would be part of the final squad of 23 participating in the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
- He was in the starting eleven in Denmark’s first two games, against the Netherlands and Cameroon.
- In May 2012, he was inducted into the final squad for Euro 2012.
- On 22nd March 2013, he scored his first goal for Denmark, in a 3-0 win against the Czech Republic for the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification.
- He scored his second Denmark’s goal, in a 3-1 win against Serbia in the UEFA Euro 2016 qualification on 14 November 2014.
- In the UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying play-offs against Sweden, he played in both legs, as he failed to help Denmark qualify for the UEFA Euro 2016 following a 4-3 defeat on aggregate.
- He captained Denmark for the first time in his career against Bosnia and Herzegovina on 3 June 2016 during UEFA Euro 2016.
- He helped Denmark finish second place in the Group E of the FIFA World Cup qualification.
- In May 2018, he was named in Denmark’s 23-man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
- He also captained the side for the UEFA Euro 2020.
- On 12th June 2021, playing their opening match against Finland, when Christian Eriksen collapsed on the pitch, he was the first to help him and summon the medical team to quickly get onto the pitch.
- He also made sure that Eriksen’s airways stayed unobstructed when he was unconscious and gave him CPR.
- Afterward, he guided his teammates to cover Eriksen while he received medical treatment and consoled Eriksen’s wife Sabrina afterward.
- Eriksen was taken off the pitch on a stretcher and the match was suspended. Around an hour after the incident, UEFA and Danish Football Association officials confirmed from the Rigshospitalet that Eriksen had been stabilized and was awake. The match re-commenced later that evening, resulting in a 1-0 victory for Finland.
Awards, Honours, and Achievements
- Danish U19 Player of the Year: 2007
- Danish Talent of the Year: 2009
- Danish Player Of The Year: 2009
- Milan on 01/09/2020 for 3.5M €
- Sevilla on 31/08/2020
- Milan on 13/01/2020
- Sevilla on 12/01/2020 at the end of the loan
- Atalanta on 02/09/2019
- Sevilla on 31/07/2017 for 12.5M €
- Fenerbahçe on 01/07/2015 for 7.7M €
- Lille OSC on 05/07/2013 for 2.5M €
- VfL Wolfsburg on 30/06/2012 at the end of the loan
- Roma on 31/08/2011 for 3M € on Loan
- VfL Wolfsburg on 08/07/2010 for 12.5M €
- Palermo on 01/07/2008 from FC Midtjylland for 4M €
Who is Simon Kjær Wife?
Simon Kjær is a married man. He married his long-term girlfriend turned wife, Elina Gollert. Their wedding was held in Rona, Italy in June 2017. The married couple is also blessed with two children; named Milas Kjær and Viggo Kjær. He is living a happy life with his wife and their kids. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
Back then, he was married to Camilla (first wife). They have known each other since they were fifteen. Later, they broke up.
How much is Simon Kjær Net Worth?
Simon Kjær is a talented and successful footballer who has pocketed a huge amount of money from his career. His net worth is estimated to have $15 Million at present. His current market value is €10 Million as of May 2021. Whereas his highest market value is €13 Million as of January 2018. His annual salary from his present club, AC Milan is £1,560,000 whereas his weekly wage is £30K as of 2021. Back in 2020, his annual salary was £1,196,000 from Sevilla, £7,488,000 in 2019 from Sevilla, £4,888,000 in 2018 from Sevilla. On 15th July 2020, Kjær signed a permanent deal with Milan until 30 June 2022. His major source of wealth comes from his football career and he is living a standard lifestyle from his career earnings. He has also done endorsements for brands such as Nike.
How tall is Simon Kjær?
Handsome footballer, Simon Kjær stands tall at the perfect height of 6 ft 3 in or 1.91 m and his body weight consist of 86 KG. His body type is athletic. His eye color is blonde and his hair color is blue. His other body measurement has not been revealed yet. Overall, he has got a healthy body as of now. Additionally, he has inked a lot of tattoos on his body.