Slash, the stage name of Saul Hudson, is a British American musician and songwriter who is mostly known as the guitarist of the American hard rock band “Guns N’Roses”. Rolling Stone ranked him at 65 on the top 100 Greatest Guitarists of all time in 2011.
He is also considered one of the greatest guitarists in rock history. His first solo album “Slash” was released in 2010. He was the first runner-up on the Time magazine’s list of “The 10 Best Electric Guitar Players” in 2009.
He is also active in the social media platform with around 3.2 million followers on Instagram: @slash and around 3.6 million followers on Twitter: @Slash.
Besides on August 19, 2020, Slash has tweeted a hint of his new project with Joe Elliot and Corey Taylor. He released his first video since the COVID-19 lockdown on 2nd August 2020 discussing AC/DC’s 40th anniversary of their historic album “Black in Black”.
What is Slash famous for?
- Famous as American-British musician and songwriter
- Mostly known as the lead guitarist of the American music band “Guns N’ Roses”
Where was Slash born?
Slash was born on July 23, 1965, in Hampstead, London, England. British/American is his nationality. His birth name is Saul Hudson. His ethnicity is mixed while Leo is his zodiac sign. He belongs to British-black descent.
He was born as the eldest son of Anthony Hudson(father) and Ola J. Hudson(mother). He has a younger brother, Ash Hudson. His father was an English musician who had created album covers for musicians like Neil Young and Joni Mitchell.
His mother was a Black American-born English fashion designer and costumier. The American actor, Seymour Cassel set his nickname as Slash as he always was in a hurry. At the age of 9, his parents got divorced and he started living with his mother. Sometimes, he used to accompany his mother to her work where he met several film and music stars.
He was raised in Los Angels. He did his schooling from Beverly Hills High School. He was not much interested in his studies and always was interested in music. His mother always supported him to pursue his career as a musician.
Then, he started taking guitar classes from Robert Wolin, a teacher at Fairfax High School. He used to practice playing the guitar for more than 12 hours a day. He also wanted to be a biker however his passion for the music made him focused more on his music career.
Slash’s Career: Highlights
- Slash began his professional career joining his first band, “Tidus Sloan” in 1981, and two years later, he formed his own band “Road Rew” with his friend, Steven Adler.
- In 1985, he, along with Adler joined the newly founded band “Guns N’ Roses” as the guitarist after their band was unsuccessful.
- Guns N’ Roses released their debut album, “Appetite for Destruction” in 1987 which reached No. 1 on the Billboard 200, along with its hit single, ‘Sweet Child o’ Mine” that reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- Slash soon found recognition, fame, and success with the band which released several successful albums including “Use Your Illusion I”(1991), “Use Your Illusion II”(1991), and “The Spaghetti Incident?”(1993).
- After playing along with the band for over 10 years, Slash quit the band in 1996, after realizing that he no longer needed to be a part of the band.
- Along with his former bandmates Duff McKagan, and Matt Sorum, alongside Dave Kushner and Scott Weiland, he formed a hard rock supergroup, “Velvet Revolver” in 2002.
- With the release of their debut album, “Contraband” that debuted at No. 1 on the U.S. chart and sold two million copies, the group achieved much success and recognition. After a successful stint with the group, Slash left Velvet Revolver in 2008.
- Soon after he began to focus on his solo career and released his debut solo self-titled album, “Slash”, in 2010. The album featured hit songs including “Beautiful Dangerous”, “Back from Cali”, “Nothing to Say”, and “Starlight”.
- With his solo debut album being a huge commercial hit, it helped Slash to reestablish his solo career.
- Shortly after, he began working on his second album titled “Apocalyptic Love” released in 2012 that debuted at #2 on the Canadian Albums Chart.
- In 2013, Slash received an award for “Best Guitarist Of The Year 2012”.
- His third album titled “World on Fire” was released on 10th September 2014 which featured Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators. His album debuted at no.10 on The Billboard 200 Chart.
- On 1st April 2016, he performed with Guns N’ Roses for the first time in 23 years during the band’s secret warmup gig at the Troubadour.
- Slash was also the lead guitarist on the single “Give In to Me” off Michael Jackson’s album “Dangerous” in 1991.
- He also joined Jackson on stage several times, most notably, he played with Jackson on “Black or White” at the 1995 MTV Video Music Awards.
- He collaborated with Lenny Kravitz on “Always on the Run”, the lead single from Kravitz’ album Mama Said.
- In 2011, he sang the song “Kick It Up a Notch” for the Disney channel animation “Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension.
- Further from music, he has also made his appearance in several films and television series that include “The Dead Pool”, “The Underground”, “Kid Notorious”, “Talking Dead”, etc.
- His autobiography was published on October 30, 2007. He also assisted in the autobiography “The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star” of Motley Crue and singer Nikki Sixx.
- Slash is a board trustee of the Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association and also an honorary board member of Little Kids Rock.
Awards and Achievement
- Slash won the title of “Riff Lord” during Metal Hammer’s fourth annual Golden Gods Awards in 2007.
- In 2012, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the classic lineup of Guns N’ Roses.
- He also received a Radio Contraband Rock Radio Award 2012.
- He won the Les Paul Award in January 2015.
Who is Slash married to?
The American-British musician and songwriter, Slash has married and divorced twice in his whole life. His first wife is Renee Suran whom he got married on October 10, 1992, in California. Suran is a model and actress.
They don’t have any children together and the couple got divorced in 1997 after their five years of marriage.
Then, he tied the knot with Perla Ferrar on October 15, 2001, in Hawaii. The couple got divorced in 2014. The couple has two sons, London Emilo and Cash Anthony. He is a dual citizen of the United Kingdom and the United States. He is living in Los Angels since 1971.
When he was 35, he was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, a form of congestive heart failure caused by his many years of alcohol and drug abuse. He was given a limited time for him to survive, however, he survived through physical therapy.
Since 2005, he has been clean and sober and mentions his then-wife Ferrar for it. In 2009, his mother died due to lung cancer which led him to quit smoking. He is also an animal lover and has featured snakes and reptiles in many of his music videos.
What is the net worth of Slash?
The American-British musician and songwriter, Slash has earned a handsome amount of money from his profession. He has an estimated net worth of $100 million as of 2020.
His net worth includes all his property and his present earnings. He earned around $1 million from his debut album “Slash”. His band earned $30 million from their debut album “Appetite for Destruction”.
According to Forbes, Slash and Axl Rose earned $20 million apiece thanks to their “Not in this Lifetime” comeback tour. At present, he is living a luxurious lifestyle with his earnings in Los angels. He owns more than 100 guitars which are worth a total of $1.92 million and also serves on the board of trustees of the Greater Los Angels Zoo Association.
How tall is Slash?
The 55 years aged, Slash has a well-maintained body. He has a fair complexion with black hair and a pair of brown eyes. He stands at a height of 5ft 8inches(1.78m) and has a bodyweight of 75kg. He has several tattoos in his body.