Sony Michel is an American footballer who is currently playing in the position of running back for the Los Angeles Rams of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Georgia and later, he was drafted by the New England Patriots in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft. He played his first three seasons for the Patriots, one of them leading into Super Bowl LIII in which he scored the game’s only touchdown, resulting in a 13-3 win. On 25th August 2021, he was traded to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for a fifth and sixth-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.
What is Sony Michel Known For?
- Being an American NFL footballer.
- Playing for Los Angeles Rams as a running back.
What Nationality is Sony Michel?
Sony Michel was brought into this world by his parents on 17th February 1995. His birthplace is Orlando, Florida. By nationality, he is American and his ethnic background is Mixed of African-American. His present age is 26 at present. He follows the Christianity religion and his horoscope sign is Aquarius. He was born to his father, Jean Michel, and his mother, Marie Michel. His family member also consists of half-sister Lamise and brother Marken, who is also a professional football player. His parents emigrated from Haiti a year after his older sister Lamise was born. His parents’ dreams came true when the Patriots drafted Sony. Recently, Michel surprises his parents with a thank-you gift. He gifted his mom and dad with a new car.
About his education, Michel attended American Heritage School in Plantation, Florida. There, he was the starting running back for the American Heritage Patriots, beginning in his eighth grade. He rushed for 1,833 yards and 24 touchdowns as a senior. He rushed for 4,758 yards and 63 touchdowns during his three years. He then committed to the University of Georgia on April 26, 2013, to play college football. His older brother Marken Michel is a receiver for the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League and was the 2017 West Division Most Outstanding Rookie with the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League. As a sophomore in 2011, he earned first-place finishes in both the 100-meter dash (10.99s) and 200-meter dash (21.91s) at the FHSAA 2A District Meet. He also posted a personal-best time of seconds in the 100-meter dash at the 3rd Annual Miramar Invitational, where he placed first.
For which team, Sony Michel is playing for?
- Sony Michel played in eight games and made one start as a true freshman at Georgia in 2014 but he missed five games due to a fractured shoulder blade. He rushed for 410 yards on 64 carries with five rushing touchdowns.
- Then, he entered the 2015 season as a backup to Nick Chubb. After Chubb was injured in a game against the Tennessee Volunteers, Michel took over as the starter and ran for 145 yards.
- He totaled 840 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns to go along with 22 receptions for 149 receiving yards and a receiving touchdown in his 2016 season.
- He had a breakout year in his 2017 season as he finished with 1,227 rushing yards (156 carries), only 118 yards fewer than Chubb’s 1,345 (223 carries).
- Against Vanderbilt on 7th October, he rushed for 150 yards and a score on only 12 carries.
- On 28th October, he rushed for 137 yards on only 6 carries, scoring twice on runs of 74 yards and 45 yards against Florida.
- His biggest game of the year came on New Year’s Day against Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl, where he ran for 181 yards and three touchdowns, including a walk-off 27-yard rushing touchdown from the “Wild Dawg” formation (direct snap to Michel) to end the game in double overtime. In addition, he added four receptions for 41 yards and a fourth touchdown.
- For his performance, Michel was named Rose Bowl Offensive MVP.
- He was then selected by the New England Patriots in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft with the 31st overall pick.
- He suffered a knee injury in training camp causing him to miss the entire preseason and the season-opener against the Houston Texans.
- He made his NFL debut in Week 2 against the Jacksonville Jaguars where he rushed 10 times for 34 yards and had a six-yard reception in the 31-20 road loss.
- Against the Miami Dolphins, he had a breakout game with 26 carries for 112 yards and a touchdown in the 38-7 victory.
- In addition, he became the first rookie to top 100 rushing yards in a game for the Patriots since Brandon Bolden in 2012.
- Against the Indianapolis Colts, Michel rushed for 98 yards and a touchdown as the Patriots won 38-24.
- Against the Kansas City Chiefs, he rushed for 106 yards and two touchdowns in a narrow 43–40 victory on Sunday Night Football.
- Moreover, he became the first New England rookie to score on the ground twice in a game since Laurence Maroney in 2006.
- He ran for a career-high 133 yards and a touchdown, the most rushing yards by a Patriot rookie since Brandon Bolden ran for 137 yards in 2012 during a Week 12 27-13 road victory over the New York Jets.
- Against the Buffalo Bills, Michel had 18 carries for 116 yards and a touchdown.
- He finished his rookie year with 931 rushing yards and six touchdowns along with seven receptions for 50 yards.
- In the Divisional Round against the Los Angeles Chargers, Michel had 24 carries for 129 yards and three touchdowns in a 41–28 victory.
- He ran for 113 yards and two touchdowns on 29 carry in the 37–31 overtime road victory during the AFC Championship against the Chiefs.
- Likewise, he broke the NFL record for most playoff rushing touchdowns for a rookie, scoring five between the divisional and conference championship games.
- He scored the only touchdown in Super Bowl LIII against the Los Angeles Rams on 3rd February 2019, carrying 18 times for a game-leading 94 yards.
- He rushed 21 times for 83 yards against Miami Dolphins during his 2019 season. Against the Washington Redskins, he rushed 16 times for 91 yards and a touchdown and caught three passes for 32 yards in the 33-7 road victory.
- Against the New York Jets, Michel rushed 19 times for 42 yards and three touchdowns in the 33-0 shutout road victory.
- He finished the 2019 season with 912 rushing yards and seven touchdowns along with 12 receptions for 94 yards.
- He was traded to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for a fifth and sixth-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft on 25th August 2021.
Awards and Achievements
- Super Bowl champion (LIII)
- USA Today High School All-American (2013)
Sony Michel Girlfriend and Baby
Sony Michel is not married yet. He has been very confidential regarding his personal life. Though no much news regarding her relationships has been published or revealed in media. Currently focusing on his career, he has no plan to get into any kind of committed relationship or marriage. He seems private on his personal relationship’s matter. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
Back in 2016, it was revealed that Sony Michel had a girlfriend named Anise Davis. They were supposed to be dating during their early college days. Recently, in May of 2019, Anise had given birth to a beautiful daughter. The fact is, it’s still not clear whether if the baby is Sony’s or not. Additionally, he once explained to local reporters his girlfriend took him to the hospital when he got to broke his arm in an ATV accident.
How much money does Sony Michel make?
Sony Michel is a very talented and successful footballer whose net worth is estimated to have $5 Million as of 2021. His net worth is increasing gradually as his net worth was $3 Million as of 2020. He also has a collector of cars such as an Audi SUV, Chevrolet, and more. He signed a four-year, $9,626,695 contract with the New England Patriots on 22nd July 2018, which features a $5,081,233 signing bonus, $8,389,710 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,406,674. He earned a base salary of $1,355,154 while carrying a cap hit of $2,625,462 and a dead cap value of $4,931,517 in the 2020 season. On August 25, 2021, he was traded to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for a fifth and sixth-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft in an undisclosed fee. His major source of wealth comes from his football career and he is living a luxurious lifestyle from his earnings.
How tall is Sony Michel?
Sony Michel has a perfect height of 5 ft 11 in or 1.80 m. His well-maintained balanced bodyweight consists of 98 KG or 215 lbs. His hair color is black and his eye color is also black. His body type is athletic. He frequently does exercise to keep himself fit and fine. Overall, he has got a healthy body with attractive body measurements. Recent news had revealed that he had gained massive weight after foot surgery.