Stephen Greif was a British actor who was renowned for known for his roles as Travis in “Blake’s 7”, Harry Fenning in three series of “Citizen Smith”, Signor Donato in “Casanova” and Commander John Shepherd in “Shoot on Sight”. He was best known for his portrayal of Speaker of the House Sir Bernard Weatherill in series four of The Crown in 2020. He also appeared in various series including Doctors, Coronation Street, Tales of the Unexpected, and EastEnders. During his career, he appeared in over 130 movies and TV shows. He was also one of the 100 alumni for a book of portraits by Cambridge Jones celebrating RADA’s centenary and entitled “Off Stage”. He passed away on 23rd December 2022 at the age of 78.
“The Crown” actor Stephen Greif Dies At 78
The EastEnders actor, Stephen Greif dies on December 23, 2022, on Monday at 78. The news was made public eight hours after his death by his agents at Michelle Braidman Associates on Twitter. The Associates wrote on Twitter, “We will miss him dearly and our thoughts are with his family and friends.” He is survived by his twin sons Joseph and Daniel. His cause of death is still to get disclosed yet.
Barnaby Edwards, the English actor, and director took to Twitter to express his by writing, “when it came to playing villains, he was unsurpassed. His acerbic wit and obvious intelligence made him a joy to direct. Thanks for the fun, Stephen.” Rodney Marshall, who describes himself as an author, editor, and podcaster on Twitter, wrote, “Sorry to read that Stephen Greif has passed away. Lovely stage actor with a voice like velvet and a truly memorable Travis (Mark 1) in Blake’s 7”.
What was Stephen Greif Known For?
- Stephen Greif was an actor from Hertfordshire, England.
- Stephen was well-recognized for his role in “Blake’s 7”, “Citizen Smith” and “Shoot on Sight”.
- He was known for portraying Speaker of the House Sir Bernard Weatherill in series four of “The Crown” in 2020 and for his appearance as Brian Lassiter in the 1996 series “EastEnders”.
Where was Stephen Greif from?
Stephen Greif was born on 26 August 1944. He hailed from Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, England (in a building originally belonging to Anne Boleyn as a gift from King Henry VIII). His full name was Stephen John Greif. The actor held American nationality and his ethnicity was American-White. Stephen was the son of Francis Greif (father) and Pauline Greif (mother). He had two siblings – Peter Greif and Anthony Greif. For the last time, he celebrated his 78th birthday on August 26, 2022. Virgo was his zodiac sign and he followed Christianity religion.
For his education, Stephen was educated at Sloane Grammar School, where he was the school champion in athletics and swimming and represented the school and the county at athletics at the White City Stadium amongst other locales. He also attended the Regent Street Polytechnic before entering a variety of jobs including troubleshooting at a TV and radiogram manufacturer and as a negotiator in a boutique West End estate agency before applying for drama school. He was an honors graduate of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. There, he won numerous awards including Best Actor and Most Promising Actor, and was an Associate Member and served on the audition panel.
Stephen Greif Acting Career
- Stephen was a member of the National Theatre Company both at the Old Vic in Olivier’s company and on the South Bank for Peter Hall’s company. Out of many productions, he appeared in “Danton’s Death”, “A Woman Killed with Kindness”, “The Merchant of Venice” (with Olivier), “Long Days Journey into Night” (again with Olivier), “The School for Scandal”, “Richard II”, “The Front Page” and “Macbeth”.
- He won a Best Actor nomination in the Critics’ Circle Theatre Award for his appearance at Queen’s Theatre in the West End in the Italian Comedy “Saturday, Sunday, Monday”. He won another Best Actor nomination in the Olivier Awards for his appearance on the South Bank under Peter Hall in the revival of “Death of a Salesman”.
- After that, he was invited to join his inaugural season appearing in “His Girl Friday, Edmund” and the Christmas production “His Dark Materials”.
- Next on, he starred in “The Gingerbread Lady”, “The Paranormalist”, “Abracadaver”, “Reflected Glory”, “Fallen Angels”, “George Dillon”, and “Six Degrees of Separation”. From the year 2016 to 2018, he appeared at Crazy Coqs at Zedel’s Brasserie on multiple occasions. He also appeared at various other venues in David Stuttard’s adaptation of drama and comedy from famous ancient Greek literature called “Tears, Treachery..and Just a little Murder”.
- Moreover, the actor appeared in many films including Gerry, Risen, Woman in Gold, Bill, D is for Detroit, Lasse Hallström’s Casanova, Shoot on Sight, Eichmann, Spartan, The Upside of Anger, Boogie Woogie and Fakers. His many television appearances include Only When I Laugh, Thriller (1 episode, 1976), Howard’s Way, Spooks, Mistresses, He Kills Coppers, Silent Witness, the last story of Waking the Dead, The Crown, The Alienist: Angel of Darkness, Doctors and New Tricks.
- He also voiced Raymond Maarloeve in the video game “The Witcher”. As a voice artist, he was nominated for the best narrator for Sony’s PlayStation Video game Puppeteer in addition to many more games and cartoon series including Elliott from Earth for the Cartoon Network. Likewise, he won the BBC audiobooks of America award for narrating The Boy with the Magic Numbers by Sally Gardner. Further, he narrated for Channel 5 a total of 15 documentaries on the Royal Family Andrew Lord Louis Mountbatten and Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery.
Stephen Greif Awards and Achievements
- Won BBC Audio Books for his work in “Boy with the magic No’s” in 2008
- Nominated Navtgr Awards in 2013 for his work in Puppeteer
- Nominated for Oliver Awards in 1979 for his work in Death of Salesman
- Nominated for Critics Circle in 1975 for his work in “Sat, Sun, Mon”
How much was Stephen Greif’s Net Worth?
Stephen Greif is a successful actor who had acted in numerous movies and series. He had made a huge fortune throughout his career. As of 2022, the net worth of Stephen Greif is estimated to have $4 million at the time of his death. His main source of wealth was the entertainment industry and he lived a lavish lifestyle before his demise. He was making an annual salary of thousands of dollars from his acting career.
Was Stephen Greif Married?
Stephen Greif’s marital status is unknown at a moment. He might be married or in a relationship. Only the fact is known that he is blessed with twin sons – Joseph and Daniel. His two son’s mother’s name is still to get disclosed yet. At the time of his death, he had a partner named Caroline Slocock who is believed to be his wife by many. Greif’s alleged wife, Caroline Slocock is a writer, lyricist, and producer who started her career in the 80s. He resided near Richmond in London while he lived. His sexual orietnation was straight and he was not gay. He enjoyed his life to the fullest.
How tall was Stephen Greif?
Stephen Greif was a handsome actor with an attractive and nice personality who had attracted a lot of audiences throughout his career work in the movies work. He stood at the height of 6 feet or 1.83 m or 183 cm. His body weight along with his body measurements is still to get unfold yet. His body type was slim.
Leave a Reply