Susan Mikula is an American artist and photographer who is well known as the longtime partner of political commentator Rachel Maddow. Maddow is a popular personality who currently hosts a show, “The Rachel Maddow Show”, becoming the first openly lesbian anchor to host a major prime-time news program in the United States.
Mikula herself has a stable career as she even had her first solo photography exhibition in 1998. She even has her own unique style using mostly vintage Polaroid cameras and instant films. Mikula also has written books like “Susan Mikula: u.X”, “Susan Mikula: American Bond”, and “Susan Mikula: Photographs, 2008”.
What is Susan Mikula Famous for?
- Famous as the partner of Rachel Maddow.
Where was Susan Mikula Born?
Susan Mikula was born on March 7, 1958, in New Jersey, United States. Her birth name is Susan Mikula. Her nationality is American. Mikula belongs to White ethnicity while Pisces is her zodiac sign.
Born in New Jersey, Susan Mikula moved to New Hampshire along with her family at a young age. She grew up along with her younger sister who currently is a medical photographer in Hampshire during which she even taught herself photography. At an early age, she had an inclination towards art and photography that she decided to join Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts.
She completed courses in color theory graduating in 1976. Mikula started photography initially as a passion later turning it into a profession.
Susan Mikula’s Career Highlights
- Susan Mikula has a unique style of taking photographs which she does use an Sx-70 Polaroid camera, the last known Polaroid being produced in 2007. Each of her photographs testifies to an intuitive mind behind the camera. She never compromises when it comes to her artwork as after taking a shot without the aid of artificial lights and no filter, she scans and reproduces the Polaroid print.
- Mikula spent several years in the art industry, even working on an art jury. Mikula launched her first solo photography exhibition in 1998. Her artworks are highly praised as she published landscape photography collections that have even been displayed in both solo and group exhibitions in New York City, Miami, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.
- In 2007, she exhibited “large-scale digital Duraflex prints” at the New York State House. A year later, in 2008, she opened her first show in New York. Another exhibition was held in 2009 at the TJ Walton Gallery in Provincetown which was also attended by Rachel Maddow and Suzanne Westenhoefer.
- Mikula had her first photography show, “American Device Recent Photographs”, in San Francisco in 2010. Soon later, she released a three-part industrial landscape series titled “American Bond”. Inspired by the Lascaux cave paintings, Mikula released the 2013 series, “u.X”. She later released a series of psychologically enigmatic pigment prints titled “Photo Book” in 2015.
- Mikula has been a part of the Art in Embassies program for United States Consulate in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico since 2017. Her works were even purchased by the United States Embassy Art in Embassies for their Permanent Collections.
Susan Mikula’s Wife
Susan Mikula is currently dating Rachel Maddow. Maddow is an American television news program host and liberal political commentator who is well known for being the host of “The Rachel Maddow Show”. She garnered much attention becoming the first openly lesbian anchor to host a major prime-time news program in the United States.
Mikula and Maddow met back in 1999 while Maddow was working on her doctoral dissertation and was hired by Mikula to work on her yard. Shortly after they began to go on for a date, their first date being at the “Ladies Day on the Range” event hosted by the National Rifle Association. Since then the couple has been living a blissful life now for over 18 years.
They reside in a pre-Civil War farmhouse in Western Massachusetts and an apartment in the West Village, Manhattan. IN November 2020, Maddow announced being tested positive with COVID-19 amid of 2020 presidential election and is in home-quarantine. Besides, Mikula is interested in the movement of light and time.
Susan Mikula’s Net Worth
Susan Mikula has quite good earnings from her professional career as an artist and photographer. Having her career started in the late 1990s, Mikula has managed to come a long way up becoming one of the prominent artists and photographers over her decades-long career.
Her source of income is surely her artworks and photographs. Including her incomes, Mikula has a healthy net worth estimated to be around $5 million while her partner, Rachel Maddow has a whopping net worth estimated to be around $20 million.
Susan Mikula’s Height
Susan Mikula is a beautiful lady with an average body physique in her 30s. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 6inch(1.68m) while her body weighs around 70kg(154 lbs). She has a fair complexion with blonde hair and blue eyes.