Clifford Joseph Harris Jr. or T.I. is an American rapper, record producer and actor famous for his contribution to rap music after he introduced Trap as a new rap music form and gained mammoth popularity. Out of all, his collaborative efforts with Lil Wayne have proved to be the biggest hits of his career. He received the gold certificate for his sixth studio album in 2008 titled ‘Paper Trail’ and is the recipient of three Grammy awards in different categories. However, despite all the fame and success, life hasn’t been quite a cakewalk for the rapper as he could be termed as ‘controversy’s favorite child’. But despite all the hardships, Harris continues to grow as an artist and has also appeared as an actor in a few movies and published two novels. Let’s know more about the rapper through this article.
Who are the parents of T.I.?
Recalling his early life, T.I. was born in Atlanta, Georgia to Violeta Morgan and Clifford Harris as a Clifford Joseph Harris Jr. He was raised mostly by his grandmother in the Centre Hill neighborhood of Atlanta while his parents stayed back in New York for professional reasons. Some years later, his father died of Alzheimer’s diseases and Harris received a shock that would haunt him for years to come.
At the age of 8, T.I. explored the world of rapping and started writing his lyrics. He dropped out of Douglass High School and indulged in drugs in early teenage, an addiction which would not leave him for decades after that. He was such a troublesome little boy that by the time he turned 14, he had been jailed several times. But his love for rap music kept him strong through the rough times and by the time he turned 16, he started creating mixtapes with the help of his buddies and would sell them through his car trunks. Eventually, his talent was recognized and Ghet-O-Vision records signed him up and the professional career of T.I. got a head start.
When did T.I. begin to rapping?
- Talking about his career, T.I. began rapping at age eight. He was once known as Rubber Band Man, a reference to the custom of wearing rubber bands around the wrist to denote wealth in terms of drugs or money.
- In 1996, T.I. befriended local rapper Big Kuntry King, together they sold mixtapes out of the trunk of their car. Kawan “KP” Prather, a record executive, discovered T.I. and then signed him to his record label Ghet-O-Vision Entertainment.
- Upon signing with Arista Records subsidiary LaFace Records in 1999, he shortened his name from Tip to T.I., out of respect for Arista label-mate Q-Tip.
- T.I. released his debut album, I’m Serious, in October 2001 through Arista Records. The album spawned the single of the same name featuring Jamaican reggae artist Beenie Man on June 26, 2001. The single received little airplay and failed to chart.
- T.I. released his second album Trap Muzik on August 19, 2003, through Grand Hustle Records; it debuted at number four and sold 109,000 copies in its first week. Upon its release, Trap Muzik received generally favorable reviews from most music critics, who generally regarded it as a major improvement over his debut album, I’m Serious. This included Complex naming the album one of the classic albums of the last decade in 2012. On February 20, 2013, allhiphop.com placed it as #5 as the best southern hip-hop album of all time.
- T.I. released his third studio album, Urban Legend, in November 2004. It debuted at number seven on the US Billboard 200, selling 193,000 copies in its first week. His third single “ASAP” reached number 75 on the US charts, number 18 on the US R&B/Hip-Hop charts and number 14 on the Rap chart. In the same year. T.I. was featured on Destiny’s Child’s hit single “Soldier”, alongside New Orleans-bred rapper Lil Wayne, which peaked at number three on the Hot 100 chart.
- T.I.’s fourth album, King, debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart in the first half of 2006, selling 522,000 copies in its first week. T.I. released “Front Back” and “Ride with Me” as promotional singles before the release of the album. The singles garnered little attention.
- T.I. released his fifth album, T.I. vs. T.I.P., on July 3, 2007. The lead single from the album was “Big Shit Poppin’ (Do It),” which was produced by Mannie Fresh and was released to radio stations on April 17, 2007.
- In early 2008, T.I. collaborated with Mariah Carey on the “I’ll Be Lovin’ U Long Time” remix, peaking at number 58 on the U.S. Hot 100 and number 36 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs.
- On March 26, 2010, T.I. was released from a halfway house where he had been serving the remainder of his prison sentence for weapons possession. Soon after his release, he was in the studio working on his seventh studio album titled King Uncaged.
- On September 30, 2011, T.I. released “I’m Flexin'”, the first promotional single from his upcoming eighth studio album. The song features vocals and production from Big K.R.I.T. T.I. reunited with Young Jeezy on “F.A.M.E.” for Jeezy’s album TM103.
- T.I.’s ninth album Paperwork was released on October 21, 2014. Upon its release, the album debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200, with first-week sales of 80,000 copies in the United States.
- T.I., in collaboration with several southern rappers, who are collectively known as Bankroll Mafia, released an eponymous album on April 22, 2016. On May 16, 2016, T.I. released a single titled “Dope” which was produced by West Coast hip hop record producer Dr. Dre.
- T.I., along with Chance the Rapper and Cardi B, will be a judge for Netflix’s Rhythm + Flow, a 10-part hip-hop talent search that is set to debut in 2019.
- Apart from rapping, T.I. has also been quite active as an actor and a novelist. He has starred in ‘Ant-Man’, ‘American Gangster’, ‘Takers’, ‘Get Hard’ and ‘Identity Thief’. His novels have also been moderately successful. Titled ‘Power and Beauty’ and ‘Trouble and Triumph’, his novels are motivational in their themes and strong in language.
Who is T.I. dating?
Reflecting on his personal life, T.I. was rich in the relationship. He was dated many girls in his life. Currently, he was is in a relationship with a Puerto Rican model Bernice Burgos. They have been dating since October 2016. As of now, the couple enjoying their love life without negative rumors such as separation or affairs.
Before her, T.I. has numerous relationships. They are Tameka Cottle (2010 – 2016), Jasmin Jaye (2013 – 2015), Nicole Alexander (2006 – 2010), Ranniqua (1999 – 2001), and Lashon Dixon (1195 – 2001).
What is the net worth of T.I.?
As a rapper and an actor, T.I. earns a decent amount of money and fame in the field of the entertainment industry. As per online sites, his estimated net worth said to be $50 million at present. However, his salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall is T.I.?
Observing his body statistics, T.I. stands a height of 5 feet 8 inches and weighs around 69 Kg. He has a pair of dark brown eyes and black hair color. Further, his chest, biceps, and waist measure 39-13.5-33 inches.