Thiago Emiliano da Silva professionally known as Thiago Silva is a Brazilian football player who plays for Premier League club Chelsea and captains the Brazilian national team as a central defender. He began playing football for the youth team of Fluminense in 1998. In 2000, he was taken on by hometown side Barcelona, a small Brazilian club in the lower divisions after having an unsuccessful trial at many teams. After a year again he joined Fluminense in 2001. In 2002, he joined RS Futebol and became a professional footballer. With his strong performances, he moved to Juventude in 2004, where he played for six months. In 2004, he was bought by Porto for €2.5 million but played only for the reserve team. After a year in Portugal, he joined Dynamo Moscow. On 14 January 2006, Fluminense announced the signing of him from Porto, where he has won one Copa do Brasil with the team. In 2009, he move to Milan for a €10 million fee, with net wages of €2.5 million on a four-year contract. On 22 August 2009, he played his first competitive match of the season. With Milan, he has won one Serie A and Supercoppa Italiana. In July 2012, Paris Saint-Germain signed him for a reported €42 million, making him then the second-most expensive defender in history behind Rio Ferdinand. He also helped PSG to win seven Ligue 1, six Coupe de la Ligue, five Coupe de France, and four Trophee des Champions. On 28 August 2020, he joined the Premier League club, Chelsea, on a one-year deal with an option for a second and made his debut with the club on 23 September 2020.
On the international level, he leads Brazil to victory at the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup and the 2019 Copa America. He was also part of their squads for the two Olympic tournaments – winning a bronze in 2008 and silver four years later. Today, he has earned over 90 caps for his country.
What is Thiago Silva Famous For?
- Won the 2007 Copa do Brasil with Fluminense.
- Won the 2010-11 Serie A with Milan.
- Won the 2011 Supercoppa Italiana with Milan.
- Won the 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 League 1 with PSG.
- Won the 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18, 2019-20 Coupe de France with PSG.
- Won the 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18, 2019-20 Coupe de la Ligue with PSG.
- Won 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Trophee des Champions with PSG.
- Won the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup with Brazil.
- Won the 2019 Copa America with Brazil.
- Won the 2008 Bola de Prata.
- Won the 2008 Brasileiro Serie A Best Fan’s Player.
- Won 2011, 2012, 2013 Samba Gold.
Where is Thiago Silva From?
Thiago Silva was born on 22 September 1984. His birth name is Thiago Emiliano da Silva. His birthplace is Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He is one of the three children of Geraldo Emiliano da Silva and Angela Maria da Silva where he grew up with his brother Erivelton Emiliano da Silva and his sister Danila Emiliano da Silva. He holds Brazilian nationality. He belongs to multiracial ethnicity. His religion is Christianity. His horoscope sign is Virgo.
Thiago Silva Football Career Timeline
- He began playing football for the youth team of Fluminense in 1998.
- In 2000, he was taken on by hometown side Barcelona, a small Brazilian club in the lower divisions after having an unsuccessful trial at many teams.
- After a year again he joined Fluminense in 2001.
- He became a professional in 2001 when he started playing in the Brazilian Third Division for RS Futebol Clube.
- With his strong performances, he moved to Juventude in 2004, where he played for six months.
- In 2004, he was bought by Porto for €2.5 million but played only for the reserve team.
- After a year in Portugal, he joined Dynamo Moscow, where he was diagnosed with tuberculosis and was hospitalized for six months. His illness became much worse over time and his doctors told him that if he had been hospitalized two weeks later, he could have died.
- During his recovery, he decided to retire from football but was persuaded to reconsider by his mother.
- He returned to football with the help of his former coach, Ivo Wortmann. In 2006, Wortmann was signed as a coach by Fluminense and requested to bring Silva with him, despite Silva’s health issues. On 14 January 2006, Fluminense announced the signing of him from Porto.
- He was part of the 2008 Brasileiro Team of the Season and was chosen as the Fans’ Player of the Season.
- From 2006-2009, he made a total of 108 appearances and scored 9 goals for Fluminense where he has won one Copa do Brasil (2007) with the club.
- In 2009, he move to Milan for a €10 million fee, with net wages of €2.5 million on a four-year contract.
- On 21 January 2009, he played his first match for the Rossoneri in a friendly match against Hannover 96.
- On 22 August 2009, he played his first competitive match of the season against Siena.
- In the 2010-11 season, La Gazzetta Dello Sport rated him as the Player of the Season. Silva was selected as Goal’s Serie A Player of the Season and was also voted as the best defender in the league by Italian media and his fellow professionals.
- In the 2010-11 season, with his strong performances, he was regarded as one of the best defenders in Italy by multiple independent publications.
- From 2009-2012, he made a total of 93 appearances and scored 5 goals for Milan where he has also won one Serie A (2010-11) and Supercoppa Italiana (2011) with the club.
- In July 2012, Paris Saint-Germain signed him for a reported €42 million, making him then the second-most expensive defender in history behind Rio Ferdinand.
- In the 2012-13 season, at his arrival, he was presented to the media as the “best defender in the world” by PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi.
- On his debut, he scored the second goal in PSG’s 4-1 victory.
- He played his first Ligue 1 match against Bastia, which PSG dominated, winning 4-0.
- With his performances, PSG legend Ricardo Gomes claimed that Silva was one of Brazil’s best-ever defenders, as well as saying that Silva was the best defender in the history of the club.
- On 15 January 2014, Manchester United central defender Rio Ferdinand also claimed that Silva was, by a distance, the best defender in the world.
- On 19 April 2014, he captained PSG to a 2-1 victory in the 2014 Coupe de la Ligue Final, the first time the club had won the competition since 1998.
- In January 2015 and February 2015 with a detailed analysis of his performances, he was winning 89% of his duels, best in Ligue 1 where he had 2.9 interceptions, 3.4 tackles, 7.6 clearances per match, and had committed a remarkable 0 fouls in 630 minutes of play.
- On 13 June 2020, PSG’s sporting director Leonardo revealed that Thiago Silva would be leaving the club at the end of the Champions League campaign in August, alongside his teammate Edinson Cavani.
- On 23 August 2020, he became the first Brazilian to start a Champions League Final as a captain but lost the final with a score of 1-0 to Bayern Munich, where it was while his last competitive match for PSG.
- From 2012-20, he has made 204 appearances and scored 17 goals for PSG, where he also helped PSG to win seven Ligue 1, six Coupe de la Ligue, five Coupe de France, and four Trophee des Champions.
- On 28 August 2020, he joined the Premier League club, Chelsea, on a one-year deal with an option for a second.
- On 23 September 2020, he made his debut with the club in a 6-0 home win over Barnsley in the third round of the EFL Cup.
- On 26 September, he made his Premier League debut in a 3-3 draw against West Bromwich Albion at The Hawthorns as captain.
- On 7 November 2020, he scored his first goal for Chelsea in a 4-1 home league win over Sheffield United.
Thiago Silva International Career
- After a strong season with Fluminense, Silva was called up to the Brazil preliminary squad for the 2007 Copa America, though he was not a part of the main team which ultimately won the tournament.
- On 15 August, he was then called up for a friendly against Algeria, failing to leave the bench, as Brazil won 2-0.
- He was then selected to play in the 2008 Summer Olympics, one of two overage players, alongside Ronaldinho and won his first two caps for Brazil in pre-Olympic friendlies against Singapore and Vietnam, though he suffered a right calf injury against Vietnam that kept him out of Brazil’s first Olympic match.
- Silva was an unused substitute in all matches at the 2010 World Cup, where Brazil was defeated in the quarter-finals by the eventual finalists, the Netherlands.
- He was selected as captain by new Brazil coach Mano Menezes ahead of the 2014 World Cup qualifying cycle, replacing Lucio.
- He scored his first goal for Brazil in a friendly match against the United States.
- He leads Brazil to victory for his first international trophy at the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, held in Brazil.
- In 2014, he played his first World Cup match in a 3-1 win against Croatia at the 2014 World Cup, held on home soil. After the tournament, he was rated by FIFA as the third-best central defender and the eighth-best player overall. He was also selected into the FIFA World Cup Dream Team voted by FIFA.com users, and the Castrol World Cup Top XI based on statistical merit.
- He was then selected to play in the 2015 Copa America, wherein the 70th minute of the quarter-final, his handball gave Paraguay the penalty kick from which they equalized for a 1-1 draw, and Brazil lost in the subsequent penalty shootout.
- On 14 May 2018, Silva was named by Tite in the squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
- In May 2019, he was included in Brazil’s 23-man squad for the 2019 Copa America on home soil.
- On 7 July 2018, he leads Brazil in a 3-1 victory against Peru at the 2019 Copa America Final and won the 2019 Copa America trophy with the team.
Thiago Silva Wife
Looking at his personal life, he is a married guy. He is married to his childhood sweetheart named Isabele da Silva. The couple has two children, Isago born on 12 November 2008 and Iago born on 4 April 2011. They are living their life happily together.
Thiago Silva Height
Thiago Silva stands at a height of 1.83m i.e. 6 feet and 0 inches tall. He has a bodyweight of 79kg. He has an athletic body build. His eye and hair color is black. His sexual orientation is straight.
Thiago Silva Net Worth and Salary
Thiago Silva earns from his professional career as a football player. His income is from contracts, salaries, bonuses, and endorsements. He has a net worth of $45 million and a salary of $ 17 million. He is living a luxurious lifestyle.