Thomas Robert Daley, popularly known as Tom Daley is a British diver, television personality, and YouTuber. Daley competes in the 10m platforms in synchronized and team events. He is a double world champion and an Olympic gold medalist. He started his diving career at a very young age. As a junior, he has won medals in several championships. He has also set several records of becoming the youngest medalist in senior events. Among several gold medals, he won his first Olympic gold medal in the men’s synchronized 10 m platform at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. For his achievements, he has been honored with several awards and accolades including three BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year. Besides his professional career, he is also a YouTuber and LGBT rights activist.
What is Tom Daley Famous For?
- Double world champion.
- Won his first Olympic gold medal at the 2020 Summer Olympics.
Where is Tom Daley From?
Tom Daley was born on 21 May 1994. His birth name is Thomas Robert Daley. His birth place is in Plymouth, England in the United Kingdom. He holds British nationality. He was born to his father Robert Daley and his mother Debbie Selvester. He has two brothers, William and Ben. He belongs to mixed ethnicity and his religion is Christianity. His zodiac sign is Taurus.
Regarding his educational background, he attended Eggbuckland Community College and later Plymouth College. He obtained eight A* grades and one A in his GCSEs. He finished his A-level studies in mathematics, Spanish, and photography in 2012.
Tom Daley Career
- Tom Daley started diving at an early age.
- He was spotted by a diving coach. He then started taking regular diving lessons.
- He participated in his first competition in the 2003 National Novice Championships. He won a medal in the 8/9-year-old boys’ category.
- He continued to take part and win several junior championships.
- He became the youngest winner of the National Junior U18 championship in June 2004.
- He met the qualification standard for the 2006 Commonwealth Games but did not make the England team because of his age.
- Despite the requirement of a minimum age of 15, he was given a special dispensation to compete at the 2007 Australian Youth Olympic Festival 2007. He won the silver medal in a 10 m synchronized-diving final with synchro-partner Callum Johnstone.
- He then won the senior platform title at the Amateur Swimming Association (ASA) National Championships in 2007.
- He became the youngest winner of the senior British 10 m title at the British Championships in 2008. He also won a 10 m platform synchro title with Blake Aldridge in the same competition.
- He won a bronze medal in the individual platform competition and a silver in synchro on the FINA circuit.
- Daley and Aldridge won bronze in synchro at the 2008 FINA Diving World Cup, making a new British record.
- He became the youngest person to win a gold medal at the European Championships in March 2008.
- He finished eighth in the synchronized 10 m platform and seventh in the individual 10 m platform at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
- He then competed at the 2008 FINA Junior World Championships.
- After Aldridge’s absence in the British Championships because of the injury sustained in the nightclub incident, Daley changed his diving partner. He started diving with Max Brick.
Source: [email protected]
- He won the individual platform title at the 2009 FINA World Championships.
- Daley and Brick won the gold medal for the Synchronised 10 m platform competition at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in India.
- He also won gold in the 10 m individual platform competition.
- he was nominated for the 2010 Laureus World Sports Award for Breakthrough of the Year.
- He was paired with Peter Waterfield for the 2011 season.
- They won the 10m platform synchronized competition at the 2011 National Cup.
- Daley and Waterfield won the silver medal in the 10 m synchro event at the 2012 FINA Diving World Series in Dubai. He also won an individual silver medal.
- Daley and Waterfield set a new British record and won the 10m synchro platform title in June 2012.
- Daley and Waterfield were highly anticipated to win gold medals at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- He went on to win the individual bronze medal in the 10 m men’s platform event. However, Daley and Waterfield finished in fourth place.
- Daley was part of the British team that won the Boys “A” 3m synchronized springboard competition at the 19th FINA World Junior Diving Championships. He also won the 10 m individual platform event.
- In 2013, he won the individual 10m platform event at the British Gas Diving Championships. He did not participate in the 10m synchro platform event as his partner Waterfield had lost his funding after his poor performance at the 2012 Olympics.
- His 2013 season was affected by a series of injuries.
- He moved his training base from the Life Center to the London Aquatics Center in early 2014. He also started training with a new coach, Jane Figueiredo.
- He hosted a six-part ITV travel series, Tom Daley Goes Global in 2014.
- He won a silver medal in the men’s synchro 10 m platform with James Denny at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. He also won individual gold in the men’s 10m platform.
- Daley and his partner Rebecca Gallantree won the gold medal in the inaugural team event competition at the 2015 World Championships in Russia. He won an individual bronze medal as well.
- He won both individual and synchro 10m platform event with partner Daniel Goodfellow at the 2016 British National Diving Cup.
- They won bronze at the 2016 FINA Diving World Cup.
- Daley won six medals (two individual and four with partner Goodfellow) at the 2016 FINA Diving World Series.
- Daley and Goodfellow won a bronze medal in the synchro 10 m platform at the 2016 Summer Olympics. He failed to qualify for the individual finals due to his poor performance in the semi-finals.
- He won his only gold medal in the 2017 season in the 10m platform at the 2017 FINA World Championships in Budapest. He won 4 bronze medals and one silver medal in various events in 2017.
- He won a 3m mixed silver medal and 10 m synchro bronze medal in Beijing in 2018. He also won three silver medals in 3m mixed in 2018.
- Daley and Goodfellow won gold in the men’s synchro 10m platform at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast.
- He partnered with Matty Lee at the 2019 World Aquatics Championships and won bronze in the 10m synchro.
- He won his first world cup gold medal at the 2021 FINA Diving World Cup in Japan. Daley won both individual and synchro platform competitions.
- Daley and Matty won gold in the synchro 10 m platform at the 2021 European Championships. He also won individual 10 m platform.
- Daley won his first Olympic Gold Medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Partnered with Lee, the two won gold in the men’s synchro 10m platform event in June 2021.
- Besides his diving career, he is also a YouTuber.
- He created his YouTube channel in 2010.
- He shares vlogs about his exercises, daily life, and food on his channel.
Who is Dustin Lance Black?
Who is Tom Daley Married To?
Tom Daley is a married man. He is married to Dustin Lance Black. The Oscar-winning Black is an American film screenwriter, director, and producer best known for his work in the biographical film, Milk. The couple got engaged in October 2015 and tied a knot to each other on 14 February 2018. The couple welcomed their first child, a son, Robert “Robbie” Ray Black-Daley, born via surrogacy in June 2018. The family lives in London.
His sexual orientation is gay. Daley first came out via a YouTube video in 2013 when he announced being in a relationship with a man. When asked, he stated that he is neither 100 percent straight nor 100 percent gay. He later described himself as gay after he won his first Olympic gold medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
How Tall is Tom Daley?
Tom Daley stands at a height of 1.77 m i.e. 5 feet and 10 inches tall. The British diver has a body weight of around 163 lbs i.e. 74 kg. He has an athletic body build. Being a professional athlete, he maintains his body perfectly well. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is also dark brown.
What is Tom Daley Net Worth?
Tom Daley earns from his professional career as an athlete. He is one of the successful British divers. Started his diving career at a very young age, he went on to win several championships in the future including an Olympic gold medal. He competes in the 10m platform. His income comes from prize money, bonuses, sponsorships, and endorsements. He is an ambassador athlete for Adidas. At present, his net worth is estimated at around $4 million.