Tom Oar is an American reality television personality and former rodeo cowboy, who is best known for being one of the stars of the History Channel series, “Mountain Men”. Oar got his fame and attention for his appearance on the show, which actually focused on him and several others who have learned to live off the land.
Having spent his early life initially as a rodeo cowboy, Oar developed an interest in living an off-the-grid life during which he met the love of his wife, Nancy, who also has the same sentiments about living life away from the bustle of the modern life. Though being popular, Oar doesn’t have any presence on social media platforms as he has stuck to his statement that he is an old soul and would love to live his life without those virtual artificial things.
Besides, he is also rated to be one of the highly esteemed animal skin tanners in the US despite he never received any professional training.
What is Tom Oar Famous for?
- Famous as a TV star with his appearance on the show, “Mountain Men”.
Where was Tom Oar Born?
Tom Oar was born in 1945 in Northern Illinois, United States. His birth name is Tom Oar. His nationality is American. Oar belongs to the White ethnicity and his religion is Christianity.
Born and raised in Illinois along with his brother, Jack whom he shares childhood memories, Oar always had an interest in living a fruitful happy life rather than modern busy life from a young age. His father, Chike Oar was his inspiration as he had starred in the US Wild West shows where he was active for 50 years from 1870 and 1920.
Seeing his father living life in nature, Oar also felt to be in the same place and then became a rodeo cowboy.
Tom Oar’s Career Highlights
- Tom Oar started his career initially as a rodeo cowboy when he was in his 20s. He did the combo riding for many years before he quit the profession for some health problems. Within a few years of his career, he made the International Finals Rodeo eight times. After leaving the rodeo circuit, he started doing work as a tanner even without taking any training.
- Started his career as a cowboy, he left for a remote part of Montana along with his wife, Nancy, basically in the woods in a peaceful environment. They shared the same sentiments of living an off-the-grid life rather than a busy modern life.
- Along with his wife, he started making various kinds of shoes and clothing such as moccasins, jackets, shirts, and trousers from tanned deer skins. They have their earnings from the products which they sell whenever they attended any occasion in town for which they even received numerous orders of the products.
- After quietly living in the mountain terrains of Montana along with his wife for more than 30 years, the opportunity came knocking at Tom’s door, which was the show. Apart from his business, he also began to appear on the popular History Channel series, “Mountain Men” after he was noticed by the creators of the show. He was then cast alongside Eustace Conway and Marty Meieroto with Rich Lewis, Morgan Beasly, Jason Hawk. The show is an adventure show that documents the daily life of brave people who live their lives in remote areas in peril against dangerous beasts and harsh weather and situation.
- The show was first aired on May 31, 2012. He joined during the series premiere in 2012 and since the show has gone on to complete eight seasons. Oar spent half of his life rodeoing: 25 years with buckin’ horses and 18 years with fierce bulls. His last official ride came on saddle bronc at the age of 41.
Who is Tom Oar’s Wife?
Tom Oar is hарріlу mаrrіеd tо hіѕ current wіfе nаmеd Nаnсу Lewis. Тhе couple mеt еасh оthеr for the first time whеn Тоm wаѕ а Вrоnсо Drіvеr аnd since then are living tоgеthеr аѕ а tеаm fоr mоrе thаn fоrtу уеаrѕ. Both of them аrе оrіgіnаllу frоm Nоrthеrn Іllіnоіѕ but thеу ѕhіftеd tо Тrоу аftеr Тоm lеft wоrk аt thе rоdео сіrсuіt.
Tom was 35 and Nancy was just 30, when they decided to move toa remote area of Northwest Montana away from modern life. Тhеу initially lіvеd іn thе hаnd-mаdе wооd hоmе fоr fіvе уеаrѕ аnd thеn thеу ѕhіftеd tо Моntаnа. They even lived without electricity or running water for their first 17 years in the west, fortunately now they hаvе ѕеttlеd іn Моntаnа’ѕ Yааk Vаllеу аnd lіvіng оn thе fооd рrоvіdеd bу Nаturе.
Tom typically spends his days tanning deer hides, while Nancy spends hers killing chickens for dinner. The couple together shares two children: Chad, and Keelie Oar. His daughter Keelie Oar passed away at the age of 49 on April 26, 2015.
Tom has already turned as a grandfather with Chad’s son named Tanner Oar. Both of Tom’s children are from Jan Frazer whom he married during the early years. His wife, Nancy also appeared on the show as a guest member so do his children.
What is the Net Worth of Tom Oar?
Tom Oar has quite good earnings from his career as a television personality and also as a tanner. Tom along with his wife, Nacy has been fur trapping for years which has laid the foundation for their net worth. In addition, to which, Oar also makes money from his appearance on the popular show, “Mountain Men”. His net worth is estimated to be around $200k.
How Tall is Tom Oar?
Tom Oar is a strong man currently in his 70s. Despite the fact that he is in his 70s, he hasn’t let his age be a burden as he is as strong as he was in his 20s. He stands tall with a height of 6ft.(1.83m) while his body weighs around 88kg(194lbs). He has a fair complexion with a wrinkled face, brown hair, and blue eyes.