Thomas Miller aka Tom Verlaine was was a singer, guitarist, and songwriter from the USA. Tom Verlaine is his stage name which is meant to reference French symbolist poet Paul Verlaine. He launched his songwriting career in the late 1970s. Tom was best known as the frontman of the New York City rock band “Television“. The band never received nationwide notoriety, but his deep lyrics made them a favorite among rock aficionados. The band recorded two albums before disbanding. He released eight solo albums from 1979 to 1992. He has won three Grammy Awards and four Golden Globe Awards. In 2006, he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Sadly, rock musician, Tom Verlaine dies at 73 due to a brief illness.
What was Tom Verlaine’s ethnicity?
Tom Verlaine was welcomed by his parents on December 13, 1949. His birthplace was in Denville, New Jersey. Born in the USA, Tom was American when it comes to his nationality. His ethical race was American-French as he was born to a French father and an American mother. Lastly, the singer celebrated his 73rd birthday on December 13, 2022. Tom Verlaine was not his real name but Thomas Miller was his birth name. He was born into a Jewish family and he is Judaism by his religion. Tom along with his family including an older sister, moved to Wilmington at the age of six. He studied piano at an early age but later, he switched to saxophone in middle school after hearing a record by Stan Getz. For his education, Tom Verlaine attended Thomas McKean High School and then Sanford School, a boarding school that he attended with punk icon, Richard Hell (Richard Meyers). Later, he went to Erskine College for his further studies.
Tom Verlaine’s music career
- Tom Verlaine, during his adolescence, was inspired to take up the guitar after hearing the Rolling Stones’ “19th Nervous Breakdown”. From an early age, he had an interest in writing and poetry. Verlaine with his school friend, Richard Hell formed “the Neon Boys”, recruiting drummer Billy Ficca. Later, the band disbanded.
- Verlaine then reformed the rock band “Television”. The group’s most prominent lineup consisted of Tom Verlaine (vocals, guitar), Richard Lloyd (guitar), Billy Ficca (drums), and Fred Smith (bass). The band released two albums, “Marquee Moon” and “Adventure”, to great critical acclaim and modest sales before breaking up in July 1978.
- He released his debut self-titled solo album “Tom Verlaine” in 1979. The album was followed by Dreamtime (1981), Words from the Front (1982), Cover (1984), Flash Light (1987), The Wonder (1990), Warm and Cool (1992, reissued in 2005), and The Miller’s Tale: A Tom Verlaine Anthology (1996).
- In the 1990s, he collaborated with different artists, including Patti Smith, and composed a film score for Love and a .45. During the early 1990s, the band, Television, reformed to record one studio album “Television” and a live recording “Live at the Academy, 1992”.
Everything To Know About Patti Smith
- His last solo album was “Songs and Other Things” which was released in 2006. In the year 2012, he collaborated with former Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha on his second solo album “Look to the Sky.”
Who was Tom Verlaine married to?
Tom Verlaine had been married to Lizzy Mercier Descloux since 1997 as per sources. They have two children together; their daughter Molly was born in 1998 and their son Jack was born in 2001. The family was living a happy life before the death of Tom.
Previously, Patti Smith, a musician, and poet, reportedly had a romantic relationship with Verlaine in the past. Their romance began after the two met in the New York punk rock scene. Throughout their career, Patti and Tom collaborated on multiple projects. On his 69th birthday, Smith wrote Verlaine a tribute on Instagram: “There is none like Tom, synthesizing Coltranesque improvisation, surf music and Sufi like mysticism, to form his unique style, highlighted by masterful use of the tremolo bar on his Fender Jazz. Master.”
Guitarist Tom Verlaine’s cause of death
Tom Verlaine – the lead vocalist, lyricist, and guitarist of the punk rock band Television – died in New York City on January 28, 2023, after a brief illness which was his death cause. He dies at the age of 73. Jesse Paris Smith, the daughter of Verlaine’s ex, Patti Smith, announced the musician’s death. She said the guitar played died “after a brief illness.” “I met Tom when I was a child, not long after my dad passed away,” Jesse Paris Smith wrote in a statement. “In him, I felt the energy of a father, a man to hug, to laugh with, to share in mischievous jokes and wild imagination.” Tributes have poured in on social networks from fellow artists remembering Verlaine.
Mike Scott of The Waterboys tweeted – “Tom Verlaine has passed over to the beyond that his guitar playing always hinted at. He was the best rock and roll guitarist of all time, and like Hendrix could dance from the spheres of the cosmos to garage rock. That takes a special greatness.”
“Went by the book stalls outside Strand yesterday thinking I’d see you as usual, have a smoke, talk about rare poetry finds for a couple of hours,” tweeted Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth. “Gonna miss you, Tom. TV Rest In Peace.” Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Flea said he listened to “Marquee Moon” 1,000 times and “will listen 1,000 more”. “Tom Verlaine is one of the greatest rock musicians ever. He (affected) the way John and I play immeasurably,” he tweeted, referring to guitarist John Frusciante. “Fly on Tom.” “His role in our culture and straight-up awesomeness on the electric guitar was completely legendary,” Stuart Braithwaite of Mogwai tweeted.
What was Tom Verlaine’s net worth in 2023?
Tom Verlaine was a well-recognized singer, guitarist, and songwriter whose net worth was calculated to have $3 million at the time of his death. He made this impressive fortune from his professional career. He made most of his wealth from the music industry which was his major source of income. He began his career as a songwriter in the late 1970s with the band “Television”. During his career, Tom has released ten solo albums and several singles.
How tall was Tom Verlaine?
Tom Verlaine was a cool and handsome guitarist during his era. He had a standing tall height that consist of 6 feet 4 inches. His body type was slim. His hair color turned gray due to his age and his eye color was light brown.
Leave a Reply