Usher is an American singer, songwriter, actor, and dancer who is also considered to be one of the best-selling musical artists of the 2000s decade. Usher has also been inducted to Georgia Music Hall of Fame and Hollywood Walk of Fame. He has also been ranked by ‘FUSE’ magazine as the 10th most award-winning musician as he has won 18 Billboard Music Awards and 8 Grammy awards.
What is Usher Famous for?
- Famous as Grammy award-winning singer and actor.
Where was Usher Born?
Usher was born on October 14, 1978, in Dallas, Texas, United States. His birth name is Usher Raymond IV. His nationality is American. Usher belongs to Black ethnicity while Libra is his zodiac sign.
Usher was born to Usher Raymond III(father) and Jonetta Patton(mother). His father, however. left the family when Usher was just 1 year old while her mother worked as a medical technician to help her family.
Usher grew up with his mother, then-stepfather, and half-brother, James Lackey(b. 1984). Usher joined the local church youth choir in Chattanooga when he was nine years old. He frequently developed love and interest in music and his grandmother discovered his ability to sing.
His family later moved to Atlanta, Georgia, so that Usher could get more opportunities for his future career where he attended North Springs High School. Discovering his talent, Usher joined an R&B local quintet called the NuBeginnings when he was 10.
Usher recorded ten songs with the group which was re-released nationally in April 2002 by Hip-O Records.
When he was 13, he met A.J. Alexander at a local talent show in Atlanta who helped him to showcase his talent to high authorities. He was then signed by L.A. Reid, the co-founder of LaFace Records to the company and was introduced first to the public on “Call Me a Mack”, a song he recorded for the soundtrack album to the drama-romance film, “Poetic Justice”(1993).
Usher’s Career Highlights
- Usher made his debut in music with the release of his self-titled debut album, “Usher” on August 30, 1994, by LaFace when he was just 15. The album included three singles including “Can U Get wit It”, “Think of You”, and “The Many Ways”.
- On September 16, 1997, his second album, “My Way” was released with the lead single, “You Make Me Wanna…”, that reached no. 1 in the United Kingdom. It also became Usher’s first gold- and platinum-certified single in the United States.
- Usher made his acting debut on the UPN television series, “Moesha” and his first film role in “The Faculty”(1998).
- His third studio album, “8701” originally titled “All About U”, was released on August 7, 2001. It’s first two singles “U Remind Me” and “U Got It Bad” topped the Billboard Hot 100 for four and six weeks. He even won a Grammy for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance for “U Remind Me”.
- Usher appeared in the 2001 film Texas Rangers.
- Usher’s fourth studio album, “Confessions”, was released on March 23, 2004. The album earned him 4 American Music Awards, 2 MTV Europe Music Awards, 2 MTV Video Music Awards, and 3 World Music Awards.
- On May 27, 2008, his fifth album, “Here I Stand” was released that debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200.
- His sixth album, “Raymond v. Raymond” was released on March 30, 2010. It included singles like “Papers”, “Hey Daddy (Daddy’s Home)”, “OMG”. It reached international charts and was a huge success.
- On July 20, 2010, he released his first extended play, “Versus” as the last chapter of his sixth album.
- He released his seventh album “Looking 4 Myself” on June 8, 2012, which included singles like “Climax”, “Scream” and “Numb”.
- In 2013, Usher substituted for CeeLo Green as a coach for the fourth season of NBC’s “The Voice” and even returned back in its sixth season.
- His eighth album, “Hard II Love” was released on September 16, 2016. It debuted at number 5 on the US Billboard 200.
- The same year, he starred as American former professional boxer Sugar Ray Leonard in the biographical sports film, “Hands of Stone”.
- On October 12, 2018, Usher released his ninth studio album, titled “A”.
- On December 13, 2019, Usher released the lead single, “Don’t Waste My Time”.
- In 2020, he performed at the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards and even hosted the 2020 iHeartRadio Music Awards.
- Usher also served as executive producer and judge on a dance competition series, “The Sauce” which aired on April 6, 2020.
Is Usher Married?
Usher married two times to date. Previously, Usher dated TLC member Chilli Thomas in 2001, however, their relationship lasted only for two years. Just after the breakup, he wrote the hit album, “Confessions”. He was also reported to have dated British supermodel Naomi Campbell and model Eishia Brightwell.
Later, on August 3, 2007, he got married to his first wife, Tameka Foster. Foster is an American fashion stylist who had worked as his personal stylist for several years. The couple began dating in November 2005, and eventually got engaged in February 2007.
They even organized a larger wedding ceremony on September 1, 2007, held at the Chateau Elan Winery & Resort outside Atlanta.
With the marriage, Usher became a stepfather to Foster’s three sons from previous relationships. They welcomed their first son, Usher “Cinco” Raymond V, in November 2007 and their second son, Naviyd Ely Raymond in December 2008.
In June 2009, Usher filed for divorce from Foster which was legally finalized in Fulton County Court on November 4, 2009. Usher was granted the primary custody of his two sons.
In September 2015, Usher quietly married his long-time girlfriend and manager Grace Miguel while vacationing in Cuba. He confirmed the marriage during an interview on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. However, on December 28, 2018, Usher filed for divorce from Miguel in Georgia. Currently, Usher is single.
What is the Net Worth of Usher?
The 41 years old, Usher has quite a great earnings from his professional career as a singer. Working in this field since he was a teenager, he has easily managed to amass a great fortune worth million dollars from his several albums, concerts, tours, and endorsement deals and many more. His current estimated net worth is around $180 million.
In his entire profession, he has approximately auctioned 75 million records and 43million mix tapes globally. He also has sold 43 million albums worldwide and thus has marked himself to be one of the greatest musicians of all time. His tours also add few more dollars to his fortune as his OMG Tour stood at $46 million.
Usher also has several endorsement deals which include, Coca-Cola(1995), Tommy Hilfiger jeans(1998), Twix candy(2002), Macy’s(2007), Dance Central 3, (2012), 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA(2013), and Samsung(2013). With all of his hard work, endorsement deals, concert tours, he has turned out to be a multi-millionaire and is living a lavish and luxurious lifestyle in his Roswell House worth $3.3 million.
How Tall is Usher?
Usher is a black handsome man in his early 40s. He has a well maintained athletic body physique of measurement 45-33-16 inches. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 8inch.(1.73m) while his body weighs around 75kg(165 lbs). He has a dark complexion with black hair and dark brown eyes.