Charles Teo is an Australian neurosurgeon. Teo is one of the reputed neurosurgeons from Australia, being voted the Most trusted Australian in 2012, 2013, and 2014. He worked in the United States for ten years as an Associate Professor of Neurosurgery and Chief of Pediatric Neurosurgery before returning to Australia. His work is considered a miracle and has written over thirty book chapters. However, the complaints about his behaviors during surgical procedures led the NSW Medical Council to suspend him and prevent him from performing any surgeries in 2021.
What is Charles Teo Famous For?
- A well-renowned Australian surgeon.
Where is Charles Teo From?
Charles Teo was born on 24 December 1957. His birth place is in Sydney, New South Wales in Australia. He holds an Australian nationality. He was born to Chinese-Singaporean parents. He was born to his father, Phillips, and his mother, Elizabeth. He has a sister named Annie. He belongs to the Asian ethnicity. His father was a doctor.
Regarding his educational background, he attended Scots College. He later attended the University of New South Wales. He graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery in 1981.
Charlie Teo Career
- Charlie Teo started his medical career in general neurosurgery at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.
- He then moved to the United States.
- He completed a fellowship in Dallas, Texas.
- He then spent 10 years in the United States and held the position of Associate Professor of Neurosurgery and later Chief of Pediatric Neurosurgery at the Arkansas Children’s Hospital.
- He then returned to Australia.
- He was appointed the director of the Centre for Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery at Prince of Wales Hospital.
- He is the founder of the Cure Brain Cancer Foundation (formerly Cure For Life Foundation).
- He is also the founder of the Charlie Teo Foundation.
- He developed an international reputation in the field of minimally-invasive neurosurgery.
- He has written more than thirty book chapters and numerous scholarly papers.
- He has been an invited speaker and visiting professor in more than thirty-five countries, associated with institutions such as Johns Hopkins University, Stanford University, Albert Einstein University, Marburg University and the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, Arizona.
- He treats children from developing countries with neurological conditions.
- he was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia for service to medicine as a neurosurgeon through the introduction of minimally invasive techniques, as a researcher, educator, and mentor, and through the establishment of the Cure for Life Foundation in 2011.
- Teo was given temporary restrictions from performing surgeries after complaints about his work in 2021.
- The NSW Medical Council conducted a special hearing into Teo’s behaviors during surgical procedures in 2021.
- He needs to obtain written support from the NSW Medical Council-approved neurosurgeon before performing certain types of brain tumor surgery.
- The Health Care Complaints Commission is also investigating Teo.
- The controversy arose in May 2019 when a prominent urologist, Professor Henry Woo, commented on the large number of GoFundMe campaigns requesting considerable sums of money for patients to have surgery done by Teo when Australia’s public health system should be performing any required surgery in the public system.
Who is Charlie Teo Wife?
Charlie Teo is currently dating his girlfriend, Traci Griffiths. Traci is a former international model who was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2011 and Teo was her treating surgeon. They started dating after Teo separated from his wife.
Charlie Teo was previously married to Genevieve Agnew. The couple shares four children together, Nikki, Katie, Alex, and Sophie. After years of marriage, the couple separated in 2018.
How Tall is Charlie Teo?
Charlie Teo stands at an average height. He has a balanced body weight. He maintains his body perfectly well. The detailed information about his height and weight is not available. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is greyish-white. He usually keeps his head clean-shaved or short-trimmed.
What is Charlie Teo Salary and Net Worth?
Charlie Teo is one of the most reputed and successful neurosurgeons in the world. As he is a successful neurosurgeon, he is paid quite a good salary for his job. However, his controversies led the NSW Medical Council to prohibit him from performing surgeries temporarily. At present, his net worth is not known. It is estimated between the range of $1 and $5 million.