Colin Powell was an American politician, diplomat, statesman, and four-star general who was well recognized as the first African-American secretary of state serving as the 65th United States secretary of state from 2001 to 2005. Raised in the South Bronx, Powell received a commission as an Army second lieutenant upon graduation in June 1958, later went on to serve as the Commander of the US Army Forces Command in 1989.
He served as the 16th United States national security advisor(1987-89) and as the 12th chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff(1989-93). For his services for several years, he was awarded several US and foreign military awards and decorations including the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Congressional Gold Medal, the Presidential Citizens Medal, and the Secretary’s Distinguished Service Award.
He even had written his autobiography, “My American Journey”(1995), and even a book, “It Worked for Me, Lessons in Life and Leadership”(2012). However, on October 18, 2021, he passed away following complications of COVID-19 at age of 84 noting he was fully vaccinated. His death news left the whole nation in shock even the president of the US, Joe Biden paid homage and sympathy towards Powell’s family.
It even has left his verified Twitter account with thousands of followers to be temporarily blocked.
What was Colin Powell Famous for?
- Famous as a politician, diplomat, statesman, and four-star general.
- Known as the first African-American secretary of state.
Where was Colin Powell From?
Colin Powell was born on April 5, 1937, in New York City, New York, United States. His birth name was Colin Luther Powell. His nationality was American. Powell belonged to mixed(Jamaican-American) ethnicity while Gemini was his zodiac sign.
Born as the son of his Jamaican immigrant’s parents; Maud Ariel(mother) and Luther Theophilus Powell(father), Powell was raised in the South Bronx where he attended the Morris High School, from which he graduated in 1954. His father, Luther worked as a shipping clerk while his mother, Maud as a seamstress. Despite his parents’ urgings that he should “strive for a good education” to live his life, Powell remained an ordinary student throughout high school and never thought of himself as a minority.
While at school, Powell worked at a local baby furniture store later served as a Shabbos goy, and helped Orthodox families. Following his high school graduation, he went on to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in geology from the City College of New York in 1958. Later, he earned an MBA degree from George Washington University in 1971 and an Honorary Doctor of Public Service in 1990.
How Did Colin Powell Die?
Colin Powell died on October 18, 2021, at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland, following the complications of COVID-19. He was 84 years old at the time of his death. He was being treated for blood cancer at the time and even was vaccinated but his myeloma compromised his immune system.
His death left many of his followers and loved ones in pain and grief. Even President Joe Biden and four of the five living former presidents gave honors with their statements recognizing Powell as an American hero via their Twitter.
Colin Powell’s Career Highlights
- Colin Powell started his career initially as a military soldier when he joined the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) as a university student.
- He then received a commission as an Army second lieutenant.
- After basic training, he was assigned as a platoon leader to the 48th Infantry, in West Germany.
- During the Vietnam war, he served a tour as a South Vietnamese Army (ARVN) advisor for a year.
- After returning from Vietnam, he served a White House Fellowship under President Richard Nixon from 1972 to 1973.
- In the 1980s, he served at Fort Carson following which he became senior military assistant to Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger.
- He served as the 16th United States national security advisor from 1987 to 1989.
- He was Commander of the US Army Forces Command in 1989.
- He also served as the 12th chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from 1989 to 1993.
- His service was for 35 years with his last military assignment being the highest military position as 12th chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, from October 1989 to September 1993.
- In 1997, Powell founded America’s Promise to help children from all socioeconomic sectors.
- He was assigned to be 65th United States secretary of state in the Bush administration in 2001. With the position, he became the first African-American secretary of state.
- He was forced to resign after Bush was reelected in 2004.
- He appeared as a speaker at a series of motivational events called Get Motivated in 2006.
- He joined the board of directors of Steve Case’s new company Revolution Health in 2007.
- He also served on the Council on Foreign Relations Board of directors.
- He served as a spokesperson for National Mentoring Month in 2008.
- His autobiography, “My American Journey” was released in 1995, and even a book, “It Worked for Me, Lessons in Life and Leadership”(2012).
Who was Colin Powell’s Wife? Who are his children?
Colin Powell was a married man and had been married for just once till date. His only wife was Alma Johson with whom he was married from 1962 until he died in 2021. Alma is an American audiologist who serves as the chair of America’s Promise, and even has authored two children’s books, “America’s Promise” and “My Little Red Wagon”.
The couple was together for over 58 years and was blessed with three children; a son and two daughters. His son, Michael Powell, is also an American former Republican chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) from 2001 to 2005 while his daughters are Annemarie Powell and Linda Powell, an actress.
How Much was Colin Powell’s Net Worth?
Colin Powell had quite hefty earnings from his professional career as a politician, diplomat, statesman, and retired military serviceman. Having his career started initially as a military man while he was still a university student, Powell managed to come a long way up becoming one of the influential personalities in the US even regarded as American Hero.
His service for over 35 years for the country and then after as secretary of state for 4 years, Powell brought numerous changes and his post earned him a worthy fortune. Including his income, he had an estimated net worth of around $60 million.
Colin Powell’s Height
Colin Powell was a smiling man with average body size in his 80s when he died. He had a height of 6ft. 2inch. while his body weight was around 70kg(154 lbs). He had a brown complexion with bald hair and brown eyes.