Chris Ayres was an American voice actor scriptwriter and ADR director who got well-recognition for his voice work as Frieza in the FUNimation dub of the popular Dragon Ball franchise. For his marvelous voice acting on the franchise, he was awarded the 2012 Staff Choice Award for Best Male Vocal Performance.
Ayres rose to fame thanks to his marvelous work on several English-dubbed versions of Japanese anime series; Btooom!, High School of the Dead, and the Guin Saga. In his 50 years long career run, he got known best for his work on Funimation, OkraTron 5000, New Generation Pictures, and formerly Seraphim Digital/Sentai Filmworks.
However, he passed away on October 18, 2021, after a years-long battle with COPD which he had been fighting since 2017, and even underwent several medical care and producers but couldn’t be saved. Ayres is now survived by his girlfriend, Krystal who announced his death via Twitter. Besides, he also had over 25k followers on Twitter: @Chrisayresva.
What was Chris Ayres Famous for?
- Famous as a voice actor.
- Known for his role as Frieza in the Dragon Ball franchise.
Where was Chris Ayres From?
Chris Ayres was born on May 16, 1965, in Richmond, Virginia, United States. His birth name was Christopher Owen Ayres. His nationality was American. Ayres belonged to the White ethnicity while Taurus was his zodiac sign.
Born in Richmond, Virginia, later settled in Houston, Texas, Chris was the eldest son born to his parents. He was raised alongside his younger brother, Greg Ayres who is also a popular voice actor. Unlike Greg, Chris has had a bit more experience in terms of directing and writing and has even directed theater productions.
How Did Chris Ayres Die?
Chris Ayres died on October 18, 2021, in the United States following years of health complications. He was 56 years old when he passed away leaving his family, friends, and relatives in grief.
His death came after years of his battle with end-stage COPD which he had been fighting since 2017. For the cure, he had to undergo a double lung transplant for which a YouCaring fundraiser was created that sought $25,000 to assist with medical care and procedures. He even had received new lungs after his surgery in 2019.
Even after several efforts and struggles, Ayres bed goodbye to the world way early. His death was announced by his girlfriend, Krystal who gave the news of his death via Twitter posting alongside some pictures as well.
Chris Ayres’s Career Highlights
- Chris Ayres started his career initially with a theatre role as John Darling in the musical, “Peter Pan” in 1990 for 2 years till 1992.
- He worked as a director and choreographer in the musical, “The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas” in 1999.
- He made his voice-acting career with ADV dub as Ushio in the manga series, “Saint Seiya” in 2003.
- In 2004, he voice-acted in “Kino’s Journey”, “Bast of Syndrome”, “Mezzo DSA” and “Sister Princess”.
- Throughout the years his work began to increase more and more; A Tree of Palme, Gantz, Godannar, Maburaho, INitial D in 2005.
- He also voice-acted as Kenji Kurata in “Diamond Daydreams” in 200.
- The same year, he also acted in “Macross”, “Papuwa”, “Speed Grapher”, “Nanaka 6/17”, “Nerima Daikon Brothers”.
- After almost 4 years of break, he returned voicing the role of Shigen Takeda in “Sengoku Basara” in 2010.
- He got his breakthrough when he voices Frieza in “Dragon Ball Z Kai” in 2010.
- Other of his work includes; “Golgo 13”, “Tears to Tiara”, “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt”.
- He also voices Garuga in “Yu Yu Hakusho: The Movie”, and Prince Soma in the “Black Butler” dub.
- The biggest role of his whole career was as Frieza in the “Dragon Ball Super” franchise from 2017 till 2019.
- Besides, he attended several anime fan conventions and even contributed to the “Mock Combat for Cosplay” panels at different events.
Was Chris Ayres Married? Who was his Girlfriend?
Chris Ayres was never married throughout his life till the age of 56. At the time of his death, he was dating his girlfriend, Krystal LaPorte who is also a voice actress. The couple were dating each other for several years until he died in 2021. He never got a chance to become a father.
How Much was Chris Ayres’s Net Worth?
Chris Ayres had quite good earnings from his professional career as a voice actor. His carer run of 50 years had earned him a healthy fortune with his work on over 50 films and series.
His source of income was his voice-acts on several manga series and films especially his work as Frieza in the Dragon Ball franchise. Including which he had a net worth estimated to be around $1.2 million.
Chris Ayres’s Height and Weight
Chris Ayres was a good-looking guy with an average body size in his mid-50s at the time of his death. He had a height of 5ft. 5inch while his body weighs around 80kg.
He had a fair complexion with black hair and brown eyes.