Gavin Newsom is an American politician and businessman who currently serves as the 40th Governor of California since 2019. Newsom previously served as the 49th lieutenant governor of California for 8 years, as the 42nd mayor of San Francisco for 7 years and also as the 42nd Mayor of San Francisco in 2003, becoming the city’s youngest mayor in a century.
Aside from his political career, Newsom also hosted the talk show, “The Gavin Newsom Show” on Current TV and wrote the 2013 book “Citizenville”. He also founded the “PlumpJack Group” after his graduation that currently is a multi-million worth company that manages 23 businesses, including wineries, restaurants, and hotels.
Newsom is also a socially active celebrity with over 1.8 million followers on his Twitter: @GavinNewsom and around 512k followers on his Instagram: @gavinnewsom.
What is Gavin Newsom Famous for?
- Famous as 40th Governor of California.
- Known as the youngest major of San Francisco after he was chosen as 42nd Mayor of San Francisco.
Where was Gavin Newsom Born?
Gavin Newsom was born on October 10, 1967, in San Francisco, California, United States. His birth name is Gavin Christopher Newsom. His nationality is American. Newsom belongs to White ethnicity while Libra is his zodiac sign.
Gavin Newsom was born in a well-to-do renowned American family to William Alfred Newsom III(father) and Tessa Thomas Menzies(mother). His father, William was an American state appeals court justice and attorney for Getty Oil who, however, died on December 12, 2018, at age of 84. His parents got divorced in 1972 when Gavin was just 5 years old. His mother, Tessa worked 3 jobs to support Gavin and his sister Hilary Newsom Callan.
Newsom attended kindergarten and first grade at Ecole Notre Dame Des Victoires, then he was transferred because of severe dyslexia that still affects him. He then attended third through fifth grades at Notre Dame des Victoires and then joined Redwood High School where he played basketball and baseball.
Newsom was an outfielder in baseball and his skills placed him on the cover of the Marin Independent Journal. Also, to support his family, he worked several jobs in high school, finally graduating in 1985. He then joined Santa Clara University on a partial baseball scholarship and got graduated earning a B.S. in political science in 1989.
His paternal grandfather, William A. Newsom II was also active in the political field as he also served as the Governor of California at the time. Also, one of Newsom’s maternal great-grandfathers, Scotsman Thomas Addis, was a pioneer scientist in the field of nephrology and a professor of medicine at Stanford University. He is also the second cousin, twice removed, of musician Joanna Newsom.
Gavin Newsom Governor of California
- Gavin Newsom began his professional career first as a businessman after he along with his investors founded the company PlumpJack Associates L.P. on May 14, 1991. The business grew to a multi-million worth enterprise with more than 700 employees.
- Between 1993 and 2000, Newsom and his investors opened several other businesses including PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn with a PlumpJack Café(1994), Balboa Café Bar and Grill(1995), MatrixFillmore Bar(1998), PlumpJackSport retail clothing(2000).
- In 2002, his business holdings were valued at more than $6.9 million. When he became mayor in 2004, Newsom sold his share of his San Francisco businesses.
- Newsom started his political career after he was appointed to San Francisco’s Parking and Traffic Commission in 1996. He then served on the city’s board of supervisors and subsequently got elected the president of the Parking and Traffic Commission.
- Later, in 2003, he was elected as the 42nd mayor of San Francisco, becoming the youngest mayor of the city in a century. While he was the mayor, he gained national attention when he directed and allowed same-sex marriages in 2004.
- Newsom was re-elected in 2007 with 72 percent of the vote. Newsom signed the law establishing Healthy San Francisco in 2007 to provide San Francisco residents with universal health care.
- In 2010, he was elected as the 49th Lieutenant Governor of California as the running mate of Jerry Brown and was re-elected in 2014. As Lieutenant Governor in 2016, he was the official proponent of Proposition 63.
- In 2014, Newsom was the only statewide politician to endorse California Proposition 47.
- In February 2015, Newsom announced his candidacy for Governor of California in the 2018 election and eventually got elected as the Governor of California on November 6, 2018.
- He supported creating a universal healthcare system reducing the cost of healthcare and increasing access to California in 2019.
- On March 4, 2020, Newsom declared a state of emergency after the first death in California attributable to COVID-19. Following on March 19, Newsom announced a statewide “stay-at-home” order, making him one of the first governors to issue such an order.
- With the rising number of cases in the state, on June 18, he made face-coverings mandatory for all Californians in an effort to reduce it.
- Besides, on February 7, 2013, Newsom released his first book, “Citizenville: How to Take the Town Square Digital and Reinvent Government”.
- Newsom also hosted “The Gavin Newsom Show” on Current TV.
Gavin Newsom Wife
Gavin Newsom first got married to Kimberly Guilfoyle. Guilfoyle is an American attorney, a former San Francisco prosecutor who later became a prominent personality on Fox News Channel, with whom Newsom got married in December 2001. They got married at Saint Ignatius Catholic Church on the campus of the University of San Francisco
While married to Newsom, she went by the name Kimberly Guilfoyle Newsom and even was First Lady of San Francisco during Newsom’s first two years as mayor of that city. In January 2005, citing the strain of a bi-coastal marriage, Guilfoyle and Newsom jointly filed for divorce, which was finalized on February 28, 2006.
In September 2006, Newsom began dating film director and actress, Jennifer Siebel. Siebel is an American documentary filmmaker and actress with whom he got engaged after a year of dating in December 2007. Eventually, in July 2008, the couple got married in Stevensville, Montana. They welcomed their first child named Montana Tessa Newsom in September 2009.
Newsom is currently the father of 4 children with their second child, Hunter Siebel Newsom born in 2011, second daughter, Brooklynn born in 2013, and a second son named Dutch, born in 2016. After the birth of their second child, Newsom and his family moved out of San Francisco and bought a house in Kentfield in Marin County in 2012. After his election as governor, Newsom and his family moved into the Governor’s Mansion in Downtown Sacramento and thereafter settled in Fair Oaks, California.
Also, in 2007, it was revealed that Newsom had been a romantic relationship in mid-2005 with Ruby Rippey-Tourk, the wife of his then-campaign manager and former deputy chief of staff, Alex Tourk. Shortly after, Tourk filed for divorce and left Newsom’s campaign and administration.
Gavin Newsom’s Net Worth
Gavin Newsom has quite great earnings from his professional career as a politician and also as a businessman. Been in the field of politics and business for over 25 years, Newsom has managed to amass a million worth fortune from his several governmental positions as Governor of California and Governor of San Francisco. His net worth is estimated to be around $10 million.
Before he started his political career, he was a businessman for over 10 years, during which he earned millions of dollars from his several investments that included five restaurants and two retail clothing stores. His annual income was over $429,000 in 1996 and his business holdings were valued at more than $6.9 million in 2002.
Newsom earned between $141,000 and $251,000 in 2007 from his business interests. In February 2006, he paid $2,350,000 for his residence in the Russian Hill neighborhood, which he put on the market in April 2009, for $3,000,000.
Gavin Newsom’s Height
Gavin Newsom is a good looking man in his 50s who has been an inspiration for youth as he was the youngest mayor of San Francisco in a century. With his trustworthy sayings and his determination, Newsom has managed to win several hearts all around the US.
He stands tall with a height of 6ft. 3inch.(1.91m) while his body weighs around 70kg. He has a fair complexion with brown hair and green eyes.