Sia is an Australian singer, songwriter, voice actress, and music video director who started her career as a singer in the acid jazz band, “Crisp” in the mid-1990s. Been in the music field for over 30 years now, Sia has released 8 studio albums and has been awarded over a dozen ARIA Awards, an MTV Video Music Award, and also has earned 9 nominations for Grammy Awards.
With the release of her sixth studio album titled “1000 Forms of Fear”, which debuted at No 1 in the U.S. Billboard 200, Sia earned worldwide recognition and since then she has usually a wig that obscures her face to protect her privacy.
Sia’s forever hit single that spawned her first Billboard Hot 100 number one single, “Cheap Thrills” got her too much height and fame. In collaboration with Labrinth and Diplo, they formed a group, “LSD” and made their debut with their self-titled debut album in April 2019.
On June 30, 2020, Sia announced of becoming a grandma at age of 44 just weeks after announcing that she had adopted 2 teenage black boys. Besides, she is active in social media sites with over 5.7 million followers on her Instagram: @siamusic and over 3.8 million followers on Twitter: @Sia.
What is Sia Famous for?
- Famous as a popular Australian singer, songwriter, and music video director.
- Known as the singer of one of the hit songs of all time, “Cheap Thrills”.
Where was Sia Born?
Sia was born on December 18, 1975, in Adelaide, South Australia. Her birth name is Sia Kate Isobelle Furler. Her nationality is American. Sia belongs to White ethnicity while Sagittarius is her zodiac sign.
Sia was born as the only daughter of her parents: Phil Colson(father) and Loene Furler(mother). Her father, Phil, is a musician, while her mother, Loene, is an art lecturer. She is also the niece of actor-singer Kevin Colson. Having a family background of music, Sia had an interest in music since her childhood that she used to imitate the performing style of Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, and Sting at a young age.
She attended North Adelaide Primary School and then Adelaide High School later she got graduated from Olivet Nazarene University in 1994. In the 1990s, she formed a local acid jazz band, “Crisp” in collaboration with the band she contributed vocals to their album, “Word and the Deal”(1995) and “EP Delirium”(1997).
However, the band disbanded soon, and then she began her solo career with the release of her debut album, “OnlySee” on December 23, 1997.
Sia’s Career Highlights
- Sia began her career as soon as the Crisp was disbanded, after which she moved to London where she performed as a background vocalist for the British band, “Jamiroquai”.
- She also provided lead vocals for the English downtempo group, “Zero 7”. Sia contributed vocals to their first 3 studio album including the single “Destiny”, “Somersault” and “Speed Dial No. 2”.
- In 2000, Sia signed a recording contract with Sony Music’s sub-label Dance Pool and released her first single, “Taken for Granted”.
- Her second solo album, titled “Healing Is Difficult” was released on July 9, 2001. After which she left Sony Music and signed with Go! Beat.
- On January 19, 2004, Sia released her third studio album, “Colour the Small One”.
- On January 8, 2008, her fourth studio album, “Some People Have Real Problems” was released that became Sia’s first album to chart in the United States.
- On May 19, 2009, her first video release “TV Is My Parent” came out that won her the ARIA Music Award for Best Music DVD in 2009.
- Her fifth studio album “We Are Born” was released on June 18, 2010, that charted on international charts debuting at #2 on the Australian Albums Chart and #37on the US Billboard 200.
- Following her huge success and fame, Sia retired as a recording artist and began a career as a songwriter. Some of her successful collaborations as a songwriter include writing “Titanium”(2011) for David Guetta, “Wild Ones”(2011) for Flo Rida, and co-writing “Diamonds”(2012) with Benny Blanco and StarGate for Rihanna.
- On July 4, 2014, she made a stupendous comeback as a recording artist with her sixth studio album “1000 Forms of Fear”. It debuted at the top of the US Billboard 200 and received a gold certification from RIAA.
- The album’s lead single, “Chandelier” peaked at No. 8 on the US Billboard Hot 100, becoming Sia’s first entry on that chart as a lead artist.
- In 2014, Sia contributed to the soundtrack to the 2014 film adaptation of the Broadway musical, “Annie”.
- With the release of her seventh album, “This Is Acting” on January 29, 2016, she not only debuted at number one in Australia and clinched the No. four spot on the US Billboard 200, but also fetched her Grammy Awards nomination for Best Pop Vocal Album.
- The song “Cheap Thrills” from the album paved her way to the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
- In April 2016, Sia gave a widely acclaimed performance at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival that went viral online.
- Sia co-wrote and performed on a platinum-selling single, “Dusk Till Dawn”, by Zayn Malik in 2017. The same year in 2017, Sia moved from RCA to Atlantic Records. Following on November 17, 2017, she released her eighth album, “Everyday Is Christmas”, on Atlantic and Monkey Puzzle.
- In 2018, Sia collaborated with English musician Labrinth and American DJ/record producer Diplo, under the name LSD, making their debut with a self-titled album in April 2019.
- Sia was one of the narrators of the Australian animal rights documentary, “Dominion” in 2018.
- Besides, in 2016 Sia covered “Blackbird” by The Beatles for the Netflix original series, “Beat Bugs”.
Is Sia Married?
Sia is currently single even though she is in her 40s. Previously, she was in a relationship with her former Australian boyfriend, Dan Pontifex. Following the disbandment of Crisp in 1997, Sia decided to move to London over her relationship with Pontifex however, just after a few months later, she received the news that Pontifex had died after being in a car accident in London. Her 2001 album “Healing Is Difficult” lyrically deals with her late ex-boyfriend, Pontifex’s death.
In 2008, Sia proudly shared her sexual orientation of being bisexual and revealed her relationship with JD Samson, a popular American musician. However, they broke up in 2011.
Sia’s first marriage was with documentary filmmaker Erik Anders Lang. They got married at her home in Palm Springs, California, in August 2014. However, after just 2 years of getting married he couple got separated in December 2016.
In 2019, she adopted two Black boys who were aging out of the foster care system. Just a few months after she revealed in adopting them, she announced that she had become a grandmother on June 30, 2020.
Following the success of “We Are Born”, Sia became uncomfortable with her growing fame, that she ended up with depression, addictions to painkillers and alcohol, and had contemplated suicide, going as far as to write a suicide note.
In 2010, Sia canceled various promotional events and shows due to her poor health. Also, she had been diagnosed with Graves’ disease – an autoimmune disorder characterized by an over-active thyroid. In 2019, Sia revealed that she suffers from Ehlers–Danlos syndrome.
What is the Net Worth of Sia?
Sia has quite great earnings from her professional career as a singer, songwriter, and video director. Having been active in the field of music for over 30 years, Sia has managed to amass a million worth fortune from her several songs, albums, and tours.
Her net worth is estimated to be around $30 million. Her own songs, Chandelier and Cheap Thrills were super hits and had over a billion hits on YouTube and other music streams platform.
How Tall is Sia?
Sia is a beautiful lady in her 40s. With her unique personality of hiding her face with a wig and her soothing voice, Sia has managed to win several hearts all around the world. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 4inch.(1.64m) while her body weighs around 62kg(137 lbs).
She has a well maintained slim body physique which measures around 35-28-35 inches with 34 A as her bra size, 7.5(US) as her shoe size, and 5(US) as her dress size. She has a fair complexion with blonde hair and blue eyes.