Jamie Raskin is an American attorney and politician. Raskin is a member of the Democratic Party and is renowned for serving as the U.S. representative for Maryland’s 8th congressional district since 2017. He served in the Maryland State Senate from 2007 to 2016. The district previously included portions of Montgomery County, a suburban county northwest of Washington, D.C., and extends through rural Frederick County to the Pennsylvania border. Following the 2022 redistricting, it now encompasses only a portion of Montgomery County. He is the chair of the Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties and the co-chair of the Congressional Freethought Caucus. He was also the lead impeachment manager for the second impeachment of President Donald Trump in response to the attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Jamie Raskin Reveals He’s Been Diagnosed with Cancer
Maryland Democratic Rep. Jamie Raskin revealed he has been diagnosed with a “serious but curable form of cancer.” Despite the diagnosis, he plans to carry on as a congressman, according to a press release issued Wednesday. He said, “After several days of tests, I have been diagnosed with Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma”.
Jamie added “I am about to embark on a course of chemo-immunotherapy on an outpatient basis at Med Star Georgetown University Hospital and Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center. Prognosis for most people in my situation is excellent after four months of treatment.” He also discussed the side effects of chemotherapy, which include “hair loss and weight gain” as well as impairing natural antibodies and undermining the body’s immune system.
What is Jamie Raskin Famous For?
- Jamie Raskin is a politician and attorney.
- Jamie is famous for serving as the U.S. representative for Maryland’s 8th congressional district since 2017.
Who are Jamie Raskin’s Parents?
Jamie Raskin was born as Jamin Ben Raskin to a Jewish family in Washington, D.C. on December 13, 1962, to his mother, Barbara (née Bellman) Raskin, and father, Marcus Raskin. His dad was a former staff aide to President John F. Kennedy on the National Security Council, co-founder of the Institute for Policy Studies, and a progressive activist, and his mother was a journalist and novelist. His ancestors immigrated to the United States from Russia.
Jamie holds American nationality and his ethnicity is American-Russian. He follows Judaism religion and his zodiac sign is Sagittarius. His present age is 60 as of 2022. For his education, he graduated from Georgetown Day School in 1979 at age 16, and magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Harvard College in 1983 with a Bachelor of Arts in government with a concentration in political theory. In 1987, he received a J.D. degree magna cum laude from Harvard Law School.
How was the career of Jamie Raskin?
- Jamie Raskin, after his education, became an editor of the Harvard Law Review. He was also a constitutional law professor at the American University Washington College of Law for more than 25 years.
- Raskin co-founded and directed the LL.M. program on law and government and co-founded the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project.
- He also served as general counsel for Jesse Jackson’s National Rainbow Coalition from 1989 to 1990.
- Jamie Raskin was elected as a Maryland state senator for District 20, representing parts of Silver Spring and Takoma Park in Montgomery County in November 2006.
- Moreover, he was named the majority whip for the Senate and was the chairman of the Montgomery County Senate Delegation, chairman of the Select Committee on Ethics Reform, and a member of the Judicial Proceedings Committee in 2012.
- A former board member of FairVote, Raskin introduced and sponsored the first bill in the country for the National Popular Vote, a plan for an interstate compact to provide for the first popular presidential election in American history. Further, he also introduced a medical marijuana bill in 2014 that was signed by Governor Martin O’Malley and went into effect in January 2015.
- He then announced his campaign for Congress and stated, “My ambition is not to be in the political center, it is to be in the moral center.” He won the crowded seven-way Democratic primary—the real contest in this heavily Democratic district—with 33 percent of the vote. During the general election, Raskin was endorsed by Bernie Sanders.
- On January 12, 2021, he was named the lead impeachment manager for the Senate trial during the second impeachment of then-President Trump. On 1st July 2021, he was one of the seven Democrats appointed to the United States House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack by Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
- Raskin co-led the Select Committee’s seventh public hearing with Representative Stephanie Murphy on 12th July 2022.
Jamie Raskin Books
- The Wealth Primary: Campaign Fundraising and the Constitution (1994) (with John Bonifaz)
- Overruling Democracy: The Supreme Court versus the American People (2003)
- We the Students: Supreme Court Cases for and about Students (2014)
- Youth Justice in America (2014) (with Maryam Ahranjani and Andrew G. Ferguson)
- Unthinkable — Trauma, Truth, and the Trials of American Democracy (2022)
Who is Jamie Raskin married to?
Jamie Raskin is a married man. He tied the knot to his wife, Sarah Bloom Raskin. His spouse served as the Maryland Commissioner of Financial Regulation from 2007 to 2010. She was nominated by President Barack Obama to the Federal Reserve Board on April 28, 2010. On October 4, 2010, she was sworn in as a governor of the Federal Reserve Board by Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke. She also served as the United States Deputy Secretary of the Treasury from March 19, 2014, to January 20, 2017.
In February 2022, while Rakin’s wife, Sarah, was under consideration for a position as the Federal Reserve’s vice chairwoman of supervision, it was reported that Raskin violated the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act by failing to properly disclose share dealings by his wife. One instance was where his wife received stock for advising a Colorado-based financial technology trust company, and the other was where his wife sold stock in Reserve Trust for $1.5 million, but the sale was not disclosed for a further eight months. His wife had sat on the advisory board of the Federal Reserve when it “granted Reserve Trust unusual access to its master account”, but it is not clear when she first acquired the shares.
Jamie and Sarah is blessed with three children – two adult daughters, Hannah and Tabitha, and a son, Thomas. On December 31, 2020, Raskin’s office announced that his son Thomas (Tommy), a graduate of Montgomery Blair High School, a graduate of Amherst College, and a second-year student at Harvard Law School, died at the age of 25. On January 4, 2021, Raskin and his wife posted a tribute to their son online that stated that, following a prolonged battle with depression, he had died by suicide. Thomas was buried on January 5, 2021. Raskin’s book, “Unthinkable: Trauma, Truth, and the Trials of American Democracy” (2022), focuses on his son’s life and his preparation for the impeachment trial. The family is currently residing in Takoma Park, Maryland.
How much is Jamie Raskin’s Net Worth?
Jamie Raskin is a politician, author, and attorney who is making a huge sum of money from his political career which is his main source of wealth. The net worth of Jamie is estimated to have in between $10 million – $20 million as per the sources. He spent $ 12 million of his own money on the seat of the house. He has not disclosed the details about his salary and career earnings. He lives a lavish lifestyle at present and he is enjoying his life to the fullest.
How tall is Jamie Raskin?
Jamie Raskin is a handsome hunk who stands at a height of 5 ft 10 inches or 1.77 m. His bodyweight consists of 68 Kg or 150 lbs. He has a pair of blue eyes and his hair color is brown. Raskin was diagnosed with colon cancer in May 2010. He received six weeks of radiation and chemotherapy, and surgery to remove part of his colon, followed by more chemotherapy through early 2011.
In December 2022, he announced that he had been diagnosed with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, and said he would undergo chemoimmunotherapy.
Leave a Reply