Javier Bardem is a Spanish actor who is well recognized for his role of the psychopathic Anton Chigurh in the western drama film, “No Country for Old Men”(2007) for which he even won his first-ever Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor becoming the first and only Spanish actor to win one. For his performances in “Before Night Falls in”(2000) and “Alejandro González Iñárritu’s Biutiful”(2011), he also earned nominations for Academy Awards.
He also received critical acclaim for his roles in films; “Jamón Jamón”(1992), “Boca a boca”(1995), “Carne trémula”(1997), “Los lunes al sol”(2002), and “Mar adentro”(2004). With his presence in the world of cinema since 1990, he has managed to establish himself as one of the recognizable actors winning several awards including 2 Screen Actors Guild Awards, a Golden Globe Award, 5 Goya Awards.
In his career run of over 30 years, he has marked his presence of work in heavy dramas receiving the 2,484th star of the Hollywood Walk of Fame on 8 November 2012. Besides, he is active on social media sites with over 427k followers on Instagram: @bardemantarctic and over 35k followers on Twitter: @BardemAntarctic.
What is Javier Bardem Famous for?
- Famous as an Academy Award-winning Spanish actor.
- Known for his role as Anton Chigurh in “No Country for Old Men”(2007).
What nationality is Javier Bardem?
Javier Bardem was born on March 1, 1969, in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria. His birth name is Javier Ángel Encinas Bardem. His nationality is Spanish. Bardem belongs to mixed ethnicity while Pisces is his zodiac sign.
Born as the youngest son to his parents; José Carlos Encinas Doussinague(father) and Pilar Bardem(mother), Javier grew up alongside his elder siblings; Carlos and Mónica, in his hometown. His father Jose was the son of a cattle rancher while his mother Pilar is a well renowned Spanish actress who has been in the field of cinema since 1965 and is the recipient of the Goya Award, Spanish Actors Union Award, Valladolid International Film Festival Award.
Because of his father’s violent will that he changed jobs more than 10 times and left children hungry, his mother separated from him soon after Javier’s birth and raised him alongside his siblings alone. Belonging to a family with a long history of filmmakers and actors of Spanish cinema, Javier developed an interest in acting since his childhood.
His grandparents are; actors Rafael Bardem and actress Matilde Muñoz Sampedro and is the nephew of director, Juan Antonio Bardem.
Growing up, he spent most of his time at theatres and on film sets that by the age of 6, he already had made his first film appearance in “El Pícaro(The Scoundrel)”. However, his first love was painting that he even went on to study painting for four years at Madrid’s Escuela de Artes y Oficios.
However, he struggled with his finances while he was a painter to support which he started taking up acting jobs. He also played rugby for the junior Spanish National Team.
Javier Bardem’s Career Highlights
- Javier Bardem started his career as an actor making his appearance in the film, “The Ages of Lulu”, in which he appeared along with his mother, Pilar Bardem in 1990.
- He got landed with the leading male role in his next film, “Jamón Jamón” in 1992. It became a major international success making him more popular.
- He starred again in Luna’s next film, “Golden Balls”(1993).
- He got his first English language film in 1997 titled “Perdita Durango”.
- He got his initial big breakthrough when he was cast to play the lead role of Reinaldo Arenas in the biographical film, “Before Night Falls” in 2000. His performance earned him his first-ever Academy Award nomination.
- In 2002, he starred in Malkovich’s directorial debut, “The Dancer Upstairs”.
- For his role in the Spanish film, “Mar Adentro”(2004), he won Best Actor at the Venice Film Festival.
- He made his Hollywood debut with the minor role of a gangster in the film, “Collateral” in 2004.
- He got his biggest breakthrough when he played the role of the psychopathic Anton Chigurh in the western drama film, “No Country for Old Men” in 2007. His performance was widely appreciated and earned him worldwide recognition.
- He then starred alongside Penelope Cruz and Scarlett Johansson in Woody Allen’s “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” in 2008.
- For his performance in the psychological film, “Biutiful”(2010), he earned many awards including an Oscar nomination becoming the first all Spanish-language Best nominee ever.
- He then got cast as the main antagonist in the Bond film, “Skyfall” in 2012.
- He was seen in several movies, including The Counselor,’ ‘Autómata,’ ‘The Gunman,’ and ‘The Last Face.’
- In 2017, he portrayed the main antagonist, Armando Salazar in the popular fantasy film, “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”.
- The same year, he was also seen alongside Jennifer Lawrence and Michelle Pfeiffer in the horror movie, “Mother!”
- He was also seen playing Leo in Sally Potter’s British-American drama film, “The Roads Not Taken” in 2020.
- He will appear as Stilgar in the upcoming Denis Villeneuve film, “Dune” and also in “Being The Records”.
British Academy Film Awards
Cannes Film Festival
Golden Globe Awards
2 Screen Actors Guild Awards
2 Venice Film Festival
Who is Javier Bardem married to?
Javier Bardem is a married amn and has been married to his only wife, Penélope Cruz. Penelope is also a popular Spanish actress and model who made her debut with “Jamon Jamon” in 1992 and even has starred alongside Javier in “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” in 2008. The couple began dating while they were on the filming set of “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” in 2007, maintaining a low public profile for years until their marriage happened in July 2010.
They had a grand wedding held in The Bahamas attended by their family and friends. They have been married for over a decade now and share two children; a son, Leo Encinas Cruz, and a daughter, Luna Encinas Cruz.
Besides, Javier, raised as a Catholic, is now agnostic who has stated that if he were gay, he would get married “right away tomorrow, just to fuck with the Church” in 2005. Though he plays a villainous character in movies, he has a confessed “hatred” of violence as back in his early 20s, he got involved in a fight in a nightclub leaving him with a broken nose.
He also has got involved in controversies as back in 2019, during March for Climate, Bardem gave a speech on stage where he called both the mayor of Madrid José Luis Martínez-Almeida and the US president, “stupid” for which he later apologized.
How much is Javier Bardem worth?
Javier Bardem has quite good earnings from his professional career as an actor. Having his career started with the film, “The Ages of Lulu” in 2010, Javier has managed to come a long way up becoming one of the popular villainous characters in his nearly 30 years long career.
With his performances in several movies, Javier has not only received awards but also has earned himself much fortune. His net worth is estimated to be around $20 million.
How tall is Javier Bardem?
Javier Bardem is a handsome man with a well-maintained body physique in his 50s. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 11inch.(1.81 m) while his body weighs around 85kg(187 lbs). He has a fair complexion with brown hair and light brown eyes. He has an athletic body physique with 39 inches as his chest size, 32 inches as his waist size, and 13 inches as his biceps size.