Jayson Tatum is an American professional basketball player who is playing for the Boston Celtics of the National Basketball Association (NBA). His playing position is small forward. He was selected with the third overall pick by the Boston Celtics in the 2017 NBA draft. He is a three-time NBA All-Star and two-time All-NBA selection. He was named the NBA Eastern Conference Finals Most Valuable Player in 2022 and helped the Celtics reach the NBA Finals. He also won a gold medal on the 2020 U.S. Olympic team in Tokyo.
Tatum attended a college preparatory school where he was recruited and rated by the recruiting services as one of the best in the Class of 2016. He had an amazing freshman year in his basketball career at college, ranking 4th in made free throws and 5th in rebounds. After completing his freshman year, Jayson decided to go into the 2017 NBA Draft as a one-and-done and was selected by the Boston Celtics. His NBA debut got him the Eastern Conference’s “Rookie of The Month” title for December 2017. He has played in a team along with Bryn Forbes, Cheick Diallo, Wayne Selden Jr., and Kyle Kuzma.
Moreover, he played for the United States in the 2014 FIBA Under-17 World Championship and 2015 FIBA Under-19 World Championship, making the Eurobasket All-World Championship U19 Second Team. He also played for the United States at the 2016 Nike Hoop Summit.
What is Jayson Tatum Famous For?
- Jayson Tatum is an NBA basketball player for the Boston Celtics of the National Basketball Association.
- Tatum is famous for being selected as the 3rd overall pick by the Boston Celtics in the 2017 NBA Draft.
- Jayson is known for winning the 2019 Skills Challenge during NBA All-Star Weekend.
- He is also better known for playing in the 2014 FIBA Under-17 World Championship and the 2015 FIBA Under-19 World Championship.
Who are the Parents of Jayson Tatum?
Jayson Tatum was born on March 3, 1998, in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. He is the son of his parents Justin Tatum (father) and Brandy Cole (mother). His dad is a basketball coach and gym teacher. Jayson was born when his parents were both 19-year-old undergraduates; his mother Brandy graduated from Saint Louis University School of Law and is now a practicing attorney in the St. Louis area. He is the godson of former NBA player Larry Hughes, who was his father’s high school and college teammate. He is also a cousin of former NBA player and current Los Angeles Clippers head coach Tyronn Lue. His full name is Jayson Christopher Tatum Sr.
Tatum is American by nationality and his ethnicity is Mixed (African-American). His present age is 24 after he celebrated his birthday on March 3, 2022. Pisces is his zodiac sign and he follows the Christianity religion. He credits Jesus for his success and career. He has a brother, Jaycob, and a sister, Kayden. He became interested in the world of basketball in his childhood years. He attended Chaminade College Preparatory School in Creve Coeur, Missouri. He then enrolled in Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, United States.
What team is Jayson Tatum playing for?
High School Career
- Jayson Tatum, as a high school student at Chaminade College Preparatory School, averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds per game and was named 2013 Metro Catholic Conference Co-Player of the year, leading the Red Devils to both (MCC) and Missouri District 2 crowns as a freshman. He averaged 26.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game as a sophomore.
- Tatum averaged 25.9 points, 11.7 rebounds, and 3.4 assists per game while earning Second-team Naismith Trophy All-American honors as a junior. After that, he joined the St. Louis Eagles Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) team on the highly competitive Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) Circuit in 2015. He also led the EYBL in scoring with 26.5 points and 9.5 rebounds per game during the Circuit.
- At Duke University, he had a 40-point, 17-rebound game in a 76–57 win over Bentonville High School.
- As a senior in 2015–16, he averaged 29.6 points and 9.1 rebounds and posted six 40-point games while leading Chaminade to its second Missouri Class 5A state championship. In January 2016, he was selected for the 2016 McDonald’s All-American Game. There, he won the Skills competition, and in the all-star game on March 30, 2016, at the United Center in Chicago where he led the East Team in scoring with 18 points and grabbing 8 rebounds in a 114–107 loss.
- In addition, he was rated as a five-star recruit and considered one of the best prospects in the 2016 class. He was ranked as the No. 3 overall recruit in the 2016 high school class.
- On 3rd December 2016 in his Duke debut, Tatum recorded 10 points in a 94–55 win over Maine.
- On March 11, he tallied 19 points and 8 rebounds in a 75–69 victory against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, earning the Blue Devils the ACC tournament championship.
- In his freshman season for Duke in 2016–17, he played 29 games and averaged 16.8 points, 7.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists, and 1.3 steals per game, and was named to the ACC All-Freshman team & a third-team All-ACC selection.
- He had a successful freshman season at Duke, ranking fourth in made free throws (118), rebounds (fifth), and free throw percentage (849.).
- Jayson Tatum was drafted by Boston Celtics on June 22, 2017. In his NBA debut, Tatum recorded a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds as the team’s starting power forward in a 102–99 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- He had a career-high 28 points in a 117–101 win against the third-seed Philadelphia 76ers in Game 1. After leading the Celtics with 24 points in a Game 3 overtime win in Philadelphia, he became the first Celtics rookie to score 20 points in five straight playoff games.
- On May 22, 2018, he was named to the NBA All-Rookie Team (First Team).
- Jayson scored 23 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 assists in a 105–87 win against the Philadelphia 76ers in the Celtic’s 2018-2019 season opener. During NBA All-Star Weekend, he won the Skills Challenge competition.
- On December 22, 2019, he scored a then-career-high 39 points, along with 12 rebounds, in a 119–93 win over the Charlotte Hornets. He was named to the All-NBA Third Team and the first selection of his career.
- On November 22, 2020, Tatum and the Celtics agreed to a rookie maximum extension of five years, worth $195 million. On 23 February, he was named an Eastern Conference reserve for the 2021 NBA All-Star Game.
- On 23rd January 2022, he scored a then-season-high 51 points along with 10 rebounds, 7 assists, and a career-high 9 three-pointers in a blowout 116–87 win over the Washington Wizards. Next, he was named the inaugural Eastern Conference Finals MVP after averaging 25.0 points, 8 rebounds, and 5.5 assists per game in the series. He set the all-time NBA record with 100 turnovers in a single postseason.
- Tatum scored 49 points, grabbed 11 rebounds, and made 8 three-pointers in a 134–121 win over the Miami Heat on 30th November 2022. Moreover, he became the 1st player ever in NBA History to record multiple games of 45+ points, 10+ rebounds and 8+ three-points made.
- On 25th December 25, he scored 20 of his 41 points in the third quarter, along with 7 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 steals in a 139–118 blowout win over the Milwaukee Bucks. He and Jaylen Brown (29 points) combined for 70 points in a game for the eighth time in their careers. The Celtics are undefeated in those games.
National Team Career
- Regarding Jayson Tatum’s national team career, he played in the 2014 FIBA Under-17 World Championship and the 2015 FIBA Under-19 World Championship. He saw 16 minutes, and 57 seconds of action, scoring 14 points, pulling down 4 rebounds, and also had 2 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block representing Team USA at the 2016 Nike Hoop Summit.
- In addition, he was selected as one of the players on Team USA at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan, which was postponed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Moreover, he helped Team USA win the gold medal, averaging 15.2 points, 3.3 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 0.5 steals, and 1.2 blocks while shooting 49.3% from the field in six games.
Jayson Tatum Awards and Achievements
- 3× NBA All-Star (2020–2022)
- All-NBA First Team (2022)
- All-NBA Third Team (2020)
- NBA Eastern Conference Finals MVP (2022)
- NBA All-Rookie First Team (2018)
- Third-team All-ACC (2017)
- ACC All-Freshman team (2017)
- McDonald’s All-American (2016)
- Gatorade National Player of the Year (2016)
- Mr. Show-Me Basketball (2016)
How much is Jayson Tatum making annually?
Jayson Tatum is a successful NBA basketball player who is currently playing for the Boston Celtics. As of 2022, the net worth of Jayson is estimated to be $30 million. On November 22, 2020, Tatum and the Celtics agreed to a rookie maximum extension of five years, worth $195 million before becoming an unrestricted free agent in the 2026 off-season. He is making his annual salary of $30,351,780 for the 2022-2023 season. He will be making $32,600,060 for the 2023-2024 season and $34,848,340 for the 2024-2025 season.
Tatum has done endorsement work for brands such as Nike, Abercrombie, Imo’s Pizza, and Beats by Dre. Further, he has endorsement deals with the Jordan Brand, Gatorade, Subway, and NBA 2K. As of 2017, Tatum is a spokesperson for Imo’s Pizza. On June 21, 2019, he signed with the Jordan Brand. His main source of wealth comes from his basketball career and he lives a lavish lifestyle from his earnings. He has properties in Boston, Miami, and California.
The Jayson Tatum Foundation sponsors approximately 100 boys and girls, who attend an all-expenses-paid one-day summer Basketball Camp & Leadership Program every year. The Foundation, as per its website, annually identifies agencies and organizations in the greater St. Louis metropolitan area who need assistance and solicits donations with the help of partnering organizations.
Who is Jayson Tatum’s Girlfriend?
Jayson Tatum is not married yet but he is in a relationship with his beautiful girlfriend, Ella Mai. Ella Mai (born on 3 November 1994) is an English singer-songwriter. The couple has been linked since October 2020. Their relationship was confirmed when the pair were spotted together at mogul Michaelz Rubin’s annual Fourth of July White Party in the Hamptons. At present, the duo is enjoying their present life a lot. His sexual orietnation is straight and he is not gay.
Previously, Jayson dated Samatha Amos (2017-2018) who plays for Duke’s volleyball team. He also dated Toriah Lachell from 2014 to 2017 with whom he has a son Jayson Christopher Tatum Jr. (born on 6th December 2017).
How tall is Jayson Tatum?
Jayson Tatum is a handsome basketball player who has a height of 6 ft 8 in or 203 cm. His body weight measures 94 kg or 207 lbs. His body type is athletic. His hair color is black and he has a pair of dark brown eyes. He has got a healthy body with a charming personality and attractive looks. He has also inked tattoos on his body. He has short hair.
Leave a Reply