Jeremy Scott is a highly regarded fashion designer who has made a name for himself by pushing the boundaries of fashion and incorporating pop culture into his designs. He is known for his collaborations with Adidas and Moschino, as well as his work with various celebrities, including Madonna, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry. His unique designs are often described as a blend of high fashion and street style, and he has been credited with helping to pioneer this trend. His irreverent and rebellious approach to fashion has earned him a reputation as one of the industry’s most innovative designers.
Throughout his career, Scott has been recognized for his contributions to the fashion world. He has won numerous awards, including the ANDAM Fashion Award, the Venus de la Mode award for a best new designer, and the Womenswear Designer of the Year award at the Annual Fashion Los Angeles Awards. In addition to his work in fashion, Scott has also been featured in exhibitions and retrospectives at various museums and galleries around the world. Scott has consistently worked with various celebrities such as Björk, Madonna, Katy Perry, CL and 2NE1, Nicki Minaj, Fergie, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Kanye West, Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, ASAP Rocky, M.I.A., Rita Ora, Cardi B, and Grimes. With his bold and daring designs, Scott has established himself as a leading figure in the fashion industry, and his influence on the world of fashion is sure to be felt for years to come.
When was Jeremy Scott born?
Jeremy Scott was born on 8th August 1975 in Kansas City, Missouri, USA. He spent his childhood partly on a farm in Lowry City and partly in a suburb outside of Kansas City. He holds American nationality and his ethnicity is American-White. His present age is 47 as of 2022. He was raised in a family of five, with his parents, Jim Scott, a civil engineer, and Sandy Scott, a teacher, and two siblings, Barbara Scott, and James Scott. His interest in fashion began at a young age. When he was just 14 years old, he started studying French and took night classes in Japanese, which he believed would help him in his future career as a fashion designer.
During his time in high school, Jeremy Scott used to sketch fashion designs in his notebooks, but unfortunately, his unique dressing style often made him the target of bullying. His passion for fashion continued to grow, and he found inspiration in the pages of Details magazine, where he looked up to fashion icons such as Jean Paul Gaultier, Martin Margiela, Thierry Mugler, and Franco Moschino. In pursuit of his dream, he moved to New York in 1992 to study fashion design at Pratt Institute, one of the most prestigious Art and Design colleges in the city. During his time at Pratt, he experimented with various styles, including sci-fi-inspired clothing, “1880s vs 1980s” outfits, and shredded and decaying garments. Additionally, he gained valuable industry experience during his internship at the New York offices of Aeffe, the parent company of Moschino.
Jeremy Scott Career Timeline
- After completing his studies at the Pratt Institute in New York, Scott moved to Paris in 1996 in search of a job in the fashion industry. Unfortunately, he struggled to find work and was forced to scavenge for meals and even sleep in the Metro.
- However, his luck changed when he met a PR for Jean Paul Gaultier who was impressed by his unique hairstyle, which he had been cutting himself since the age of five. This encounter led to Scott being hired to promote parties at a nightclub.
- Despite his best efforts, he could not secure a fashion job, so he decided to create his own brand. In 1997, the Jeremy Scott brand made its debut in a bar near Bastille with a collection inspired by the J.G. Ballard book and David Cronenberg film “Crash”, using paper hospital gowns and scraps of fabric from a flea market.
- Scott’s third collection, which was all in white, was a major critical success, earning awards and attracting the attention of influential industry figures such as Mario Testino and Carlyne Cerf de Dudzeele. The show also marked the runway debut of the soon-to-be-supermodel Devon Aoki, who was just 13 years old at the time. Björk was an early fan of Scott’s work, wearing an angel dress from the white show for her Homogenic world tour.
- In 1998, Scott presented his “Duty Free Glamour” collection, which featured flight-attendant-inspired looks and khaki jackets with logos, earning praise from critics such as Cathy Horyn. Karl Lagerfeld even declared that Scott was the only designer working in fashion who could take over Chanel after he left.
- In 2001, Scott left Paris and moved to Los Angeles, which was not yet considered a fashion capital.
- Jeremy Scott was a designer who was known for his cult label which had gained him a lot of fans, particularly in Asia. He had a reputation for being on the fringe of the fashion establishment, as he was considered neither “serious” nor “commercial”.
- Despite this, he had collaborated with several well-known companies, such as Longchamp, Adidas, and Swatch. His Adidas collaboration was particularly famous, as he had created iconic footwear designs, such as the JS Wings and JS Bears. However, he faced controversy with his designs, such as the JS Roundhouse Mids, which were criticized for their bright yellow handcuffs that some believed alluded to slavery. Scott denied the allegations and stated that it was a reference to the children’s toy My Pet Monster.
- In addition to his fashion collaborations, Scott also ventured into other areas, such as fragrance. He launched his first fragrance for Adidas in 2015, and his designs were even featured in the 2016 film “Suicide Squad”, with the character Harley Quinn wearing high-top heels from his 2014 Adidas collaboration.
- Despite the controversies, Scott’s designs were known for being eye-catching and making a significant imprint on the shoe landscape.
- Jeremy became Moschino’s creative director in October 2013, drawn to the label’s irreverent approach and its founder’s belief that fashion could be a form of protest. His first Moschino collection was shown in the fall of 2014, and he reinterpreted the fashion gags of Franco Moschino through an American lens, creating pieces like McDonald’s handbags and nutrition-label ballgowns.
- His approach to American consumer culture often involves humor, with pieces like a handbag resembling a box of Marlboro Reds with the warning “Fashion Kills.” He is credited with reviving the Moschino brand, boosting its sales, and making it a fan favorite.
- Despite his success, Scott’s tenure at Moschino was not without controversy. In 2015, he was sued for copyright infringement over the Fall/Winter 2015 clothing line, which included garments that were “literal copies” of the plaintiff’s work. The suit was settled out of court.
- In March 2023, Scott announced his exit from the Creative Director position at Moschino, leaving behind a legacy of irreverent and humorous fashion that helped to redefine the brand.
- Scott has worked extensively with celebrities, including Beyoncé, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, and Nicki Minaj. He has also collaborated frequently with Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, and CL, who have been dubbed “the Jezza posse”. In addition to his work in fashion, Scott has designed costumes for music videos, live performances, and even the Super Bowl halftime show. He has been likened to Andy Warhol and his work has been featured in exhibitions exploring the theme of vulgarity.
Jeremy Scott Awards and Achievements
- Won the ANDAM Fashion Award in 2000 and the Womenswear Designer of the Year award at the Annual Fashion Los Angeles Awards in 2015
- Won Venus de la Mode award for the best new designer in 1998 and 1999
- Nominated for Best Young Designer of 1999 by the Council of Fashion Designers of America
- Womenswear Designer of the Year award at the Annual Fashion Los Angeles Awards in 2015
Is Jeremy Scott Married?
Jeremy Scott is an unmarried man and he is single as of now. Despite being single, he has a close relationship with various popular celebrities and fashion stars. Scott often shares his fashion work on his social media pages, keeping his fans updated with his latest creations and projects. His unique and bold designs have made him a favorite among celebrities, and he has collaborated with several famous names, including Katy Perry, Madonna, and Rihanna. He is enjoying his single life happily without any disturbances. Jeremy Scott is gay and has been open about his sexuality since the age of 14.
How much is Jeremy Scott’s net worth?
Jeremy Scott, a prominent fashion designer, has a net worth of approximately $2 million US as of 2023. He earns a significant amount of money through various sources, including his fashion design work, brand collaborations, and social media promotions. On Instagram, he earns an average of $4.6k to $7.7k US per post, which adds to his net worth. However, his salary can vary depending on the company size and years of experience.
Jeremy has collaborated with many well-known brands, including Adidas, Moschino, Longchamp, Cybex, and Melissa Shoes. His unique sense of style and creativity have made him a sought-after designer in the fashion industry. Despite his success, he remains humble and continues to inspire new fashion designers with his work. Scott owns two houses designed by John Lautner: the Foster-Carling House (1947) in the Hollywood Hills and the Elrod House (1969) in Palm Springs. He lives a cool lifestyle as of now from his career earnings.
How tall is Jeremy Scott?
Jeremy Scott is known for his unique fashion sense, and his personal style is equally distinct. He has dark brown eyes and black hair and stands at a height of 5 feet 10 inches (178 cm). His weight is around 70 kg (154 lbs). One of his most distinctive features is his signature hairstyle – a bold Mohawk that sets him apart from the crowd. His appearance has become as iconic as his designs, and he is often recognized and celebrated for his creative expression both on and off the runway. He has a slim body type with an attractive personality.
While many fashion designers prefer to let their work speak for itself, Jeremy Scott is known for using social media to share his personal style and design process with his fans. He frequently posts pictures of himself on his various social media pages, showcasing his latest designs and collaborations. His bold and colorful aesthetic is reflected in both his work and his personal style, and he has become a style icon for many of his fans and followers.