Kevin Bacon is an American actor, director, and musician who is well known for his roles in hit movies including “A Few Good Men”, “JFK” and “X-Men: First Class”. Bacon is also known for voicing the title character in “Balto”(1995), also for hit comedies, “National Lampoon’s Animal House”(1978), “Diner”(1982), “Tremors”(1990) and “Crazy, Stupid, Love”(2011). His first prominent role was in the slasher film, “Friday the 13th”(1980) and HBO TV film, “Taking Chance”(2009) for which he even won a Golden Globe Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award.
Having his career started in 1978, Bacon has managed to come a long way establishing himself as one of the prominent actors of all time with his versatility and intense acting style. He was also named as one of the best actors never to have received an Academy Award nomination. For his contributions to the motion picture industry, Bacon even received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2003.
What is Kevin Bacon Famous for?
- Famous as an award-winning actor.
- Known for his roles in “Taking Chance”, “JFG”, “X-Men: First Class”.
Where was Kevin Bacon Born?
Kevin Bacon was born on July 8, 1958, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. His birth name is Kevin Norwood Bacon. His nationality is American. Bacon belongs to White ethnicity while Aries is his zodiac sign.
Kevin Bacon was born as the youngest of six children to his well-to-do parents; Edmund Norwood Bacon(father) and Ruth Hilda(mother). His father, Edmund was an architect who served for many years as executive director of the Philadelphia City Planning Commission while his mother, Ruth was an elementary school teacher and a liberal activist.
Bacon grew up along with his 5 elder siblings in his hometown in Philadelphia where he attended Julia R. Masterman High School for both middle and high school. After his high school graduation, he earned a full scholarship to attend the Pennsylvania Governor’s School for the Arts at Bucknell University in 1975. In university, he attended a state-funded five-week arts program at which he studied theater under Glory Van Scott.
Bacon left home at age 17 to pursue a theater career in New York City. He then appeared in a production at the Circle in the Square Theater School. His acting debut came in the fraternity comedy, “National Lampoon’s Animal House”(1978), and also briefly worked on the television soap operas, “Search for Tomorrow”(1979) and “Guiding Light”(1980–81) in New York.
His early-stage work included Getting Out, performed at New York’s Phoenix Theater, and Flux, at Second Stage Theatre during their 1981–1982 season. Kevin even had formed a band called “The Bacon Brothers” with his brother, Michael. Together with who he released almost 6 albums back then.
Kevin Bacon’s Career Highlights
- Kevin Bacon began his professional career with his appearance in the slasher film, “Friday the 13th” in 1980.
- For his role in “Forty Deuce”, he even won an Obie Award in 1982. The same year, he portrayed Timothy Fenwick in Barry Levinson’s film, “Diner”.
- Bacon made his Broadway debut in “Slab Boys”.
- He then starred in the romantic comedy film, “She’s Having a Baby”(1988) and the following year he was in another comedy, “The Big Picture” in 1989.
- Bacon then portrayed the role in the comedy/horror film, “Tremors” and Joel Schumacher’s “Flatliners” in 1990.
- He then starred opposite Elizabeth Perkins in the comedy, “He Said, She Said” in 1991.
- Bacon got his initial breakthrough with his role as gay prostitute Willie O’Keefe in Oliver Stone’s political thriller, “JFK” in 1991.
- Bacon earned his first Golden Globe nomination for his role in “The River Wild” in 1994.
- His next film, “Murder in the First”, earned him the Broadcast Film Critic’s Association Award in 1995.
- The same year that he starred in the blockbuster hit, “Apollo 13”.
- Bacon played a trademark dark role in “Sleepers” in 1996.
- Bacon made his debut as a director with the television film, “Losing Chase”(1996).
- He appeared in Paul Verhoeven’s “Hollow Man” in 2000.
- He also acted with Sean Penn and Tim Robbins in Clint Eastwood’s movie, “Mystic River” in 2003.
- Bacon alongside Colin Firth and Rachel Blanchard appeared in a film, “Where the Truth Lies” in 2005.
- He got a well-acclaimed dark starring role in “The Woodsman”(2004), followed by his successful HBO film, “Taking Chance” in 2009.
- In 2011, Bacon appeared playing the role of villain, Sebastian Shaw in Matthew Vaughn’s superhero film, “X-Men: First Class”.
- He was then featured in a performance of Dustin Lance Black’s play, “8” in 2012.
- Bacon then starred as Ryan Hardy in the FOX television series, “The Following” from 2013 till 2015.
- He will be starring alongside Colson Baker & Travis Fimmel in the action thriller, “One Way”.
Awards and Honors
- 2 Screen Actors Guild Awards
- 1 Saturn Award
- 1 Golden Globe Award
- Inducted into Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2003.
- Received the John Cassavetes Award in 2004.
- Received the Copper Wing Tribute Award in 2005.
- Received the American Rivera Award in 2005.
- Honored with the Joel Siegel Award in 2010.
- Honored with the Career Achievement in Acting Award in 2015.
Kevin Bacon’s Wife
Kevin Bacon has been married just once throughout his life to date. His first and his only marriage was with the beautiful actress, Kyra Minturn Sedgwick. Kyra is also an American actress, producer, and director best known for her starring role as Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson on the TNT crime drama, “The Closer”. The couple met for the first time while they were on the set of the PBS version of Lanford Wilson’s play, “Lemon Sky” back in the 1970s.
Bacon and Sedgwick even have starred together in “Pyrates”, “Murder in the First”, “The Woodsman”, and “Loverboy”. After dating for years, Bacon and Sedwig got married on September 4, 1988, and have been together for over 3 decades till 2020.
They welcomed their first son named Travis Sedgwick in 1989 followed by their second child, a daughter named Sosie Ruth in 1992. Bacon currently resides on the Upper West Side of Manhattan along with his family. Even before tieing a knot with Kyra, Kevin was in a romantic relationship with American actress, Tracy Pollan for over 5 years back in the 1980s.
Also, Bacon is the subject of the trivia game titled “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon”. He is also the founder of a charitable organization called SixDegrees.org.
Kevin Bacon’s Net Worth
Kevin Bacon is a multi-millionaire legendary actor who has quite healthy earnings from his stable and successful career as an actor. Having his career started in 1978 that lasted for over 50 years and still ongoing, Bacon has easily managed to amass a million worth fortune from his over 80 films that he has done till 2020.
With his several movies and shows, Bacon has managed to amass a wealthy fortune estimated to be around $45 million with his salary around $7 million.
Kevin Bacon’s Height
Kevin Bacon is a handsome man with an athletic body physique who still has the same Baritone voice and looks even in his 60s. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 10inch.(1.79m) while his body weighs around 75kg(165 lbs). He has a well maintained athletic body physique with 40 inches as his chest size, 32 inches as his waist size, and 12 inches as his bicep size.
He has a fair complexion with light brown hair and blue eyes.