Mohamed Naser Elsayed Elneny is an Egyptian professional footballer who is professionally known as Mohamed Elneny. He is well recognized for playing as a midfielder for Premier League club Arsenal and the Egypt national team. He made his Premier League debut in 2016 after signing with Arsenal. He’d spent the previous three years with the Swiss club, FC Basel. He started playing with Al Ahly in 1997 and stayed with the team until 2008. He then joined El Mokawloon and debuted with the senior club in 2010. Elneny’s time in the Egyptian Premier League was cut short after the 2012 Port Said Stadium Disaster caused the cancellation of the season. He started his senior career in the Egyptian Premier League, before moving to Swiss club Basel in January 2013. He won eight honors at Basel, including the Swiss Super League in each of his four seasons. Also, he has played for the senior team at the 2017 and 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, as well as the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Additionally, Elneny scored his first Premier League goal for Arsenal with a volley from the edge of the box in a game against Newcastle United on 2nd May 2021.
Confirmed Arsenal XI vs Manchester United as Gabriel Martinelli and Mohamed Elneny start for Gunners
Gabriel Martinelli and Mohamed Elneny start for Arsenal in their Premier League match against Manchester United. Martinelli is rewarded for his impressive goalscoring cameo appearance against Newcastle, while Elneny fills in for Sambi Lokonga. Egyptian midfielder Elneny put in a Man of the Match performance for the Gunners when they won 1-0 at Old Trafford last season. Takehiro Tomiyasu, Ben White, Gabriel, and Nuno Tavares make up the Arsenal defense. Thomas Partey partners Elneny in midfield, while Martin Odegaard comes into the team for Bukayo Saka, who takes his place on the bench after returning from injury. Captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang leads the lineup top with Martinelli expected to play on the left-hand side.
What is Mohamed Elneny Famous For?
- Being an Egyptian professional footballer.
- For playing as a midfielder for Premier League club Arsenal and the Egypt national team.
Where is Mohamed Elneny from?
Mohamed Elneny took birth on 11th July 1992 with the real name of Mohamed Naser Elsayed Elneny in El Mahalla El Kubra, Egypt. He is Egyptian by nationality and Egyptian-black by ethnicity. Similarly, his religion is Muslim and his race is black. Mohamed has celebrated his 29th birthday as of 2021 and as per his birthdate, his star sign is Cancer. He is the son of his father, Nasser Elneny who is a retired youth coach whereas his mother is a full-time housekeeper.
What does Mohamed Elneny do for a living?
- Mohamed Elneny kicks off his career playing his youth football with Al Ahly after which he transferred to Al Mokawloon during the 2010-2011 season in 2018 and became a regular in the starting team.
- FC Basel invited Mohamed to their training camp in Estepona from 14th to 24th January 2013 where he played his unofficial debut on 18th January 2013 during the friendly match against Steaua Bucuresti, a 1-1 draw.
- Then it was announced on 29th January 2013 that he had signed a loan contract with Basel up until the end of June 2013 where he played his official debut for Basel in the 2012-2013 Swiss Super League season on 10th February 2013 in the 3-0 home win against Sion as he was substituted in at the half time.
- He won the Championship title and was Swiss Cup runner up with Basel at the end of the Swiss Super League season 2012-2013 as well as in 2012-2013 UEFA Europa League Basel advanced as far as the semi-finals, there is matched against the reigning UEFA Champions League holders Chelsea, but they were knocked out, losing both home and away ties, beaten 2-5 on aggregate.
- Basel announced in May 2013 that they had taken up the option of signing the Egyptian midfielder on a permanent basis. He signed a four-year contract up until 30th June 2017.
- On 16th April 2014, Elneny scored his first goal for Basel, the last goal of the match, in the 4-2 home win at the St. Jakob-Park against Zurich. At the end of the 2013-2014 Super League season, he won the league championship with Basel.
- They also reached the final of the 2013-2014 Swiss Cup but were beaten 2-0 by Zurich after extra time. During the 2013-2014 Champions League season Basel reached the group stage and finished the group in the third position.
- In their season 2013-2014, Basel played a total of 68 matches and Mohamed totaled 55 appearances, 32 League, 4 Cup, 6 Champions League, and 6 Europa League as well 7 in the test games. He scored just that one goal in the league.
- The season 2014-2015 was a very successful one for Elneny and FC Basel as the championship was won for the sixth time in a row that season and in the 2014-2015 Swiss Cup they reached the final. But for the third season in a row, they finished as runners-up, losing 0-3 to FC Sion in the final.
- Elneny totaled 51 appearances, 29 in the Super League, 6 in the Cup, and 7 in the Champions League, as well 9 in test games. He scored 5 goals in these matches
- Despite the fact that Mohamed left the club during the winter break, under their new trainer Urs Fischer Basel won the Swiss Super League championship at the end of the 2015-2016 Super League season. For him it was the fourth title, for the club it was the seventh in a row and their 19th championship title in total.
- Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger confirmed the signing of Elneny from FC Basel on 13th January 2016, after a 3-3 draw against Liverpool where Mohamed made his debut for the club in a 2-1 win against Burnley in the fourth round of the FA Cup on 30 January, becoming the first Egyptian ever to play for Arsenal.
- He scored his first Arsenal goal in the Champions League Round of 16-second leg defeat against FC Barcelona.
- In the 2017-2018 season, on 7 December 2017, he scored his first goal at the Emirates Stadium in the Europa League Group Stage against FC BATE Borisov in a match which ended 6-0 to the home side.
- Elneny again produced a commendable display in the first leg of Arsenal’s round of 32 Europa league tie against Ostersunds FK on 15th February and was subsequently rewarded man of the match for his effort in a 3-0 away victory.
- He renewed his contract with Arsenal on 26th March 2018 and was sent off against Southampton on 8th April 2018.
Loan to Besiktas
- He later joined Besiktas J.K. on a season-long loan deal with an optional buyout clause on 31st August 2019 and was sent off in his debut in a 3-2 defeat against Gazisehir Gaziantep in the Turkish Super Lig on 14th September of the following year.
- On 25th July 2020, he scored his first and only goal for the club in a 3-0 victory over Genclerbirligi.
Return to Arsenal
- Elneny was in the starting 11 in the 2020 FA Community Shield on 28th August 2020 whereas, on 1st November 2020, he put in an excellent display at the base of Arsenal’s midfield alongside Thomas Partey to render Bruno Fernandes and Paul Pogba ineffective and earn Arsenal a first league win at Old Trafford since 2006.
- He scored his first goal of the season in a 4-2 victory over Dundalk in the Europa League on 10th December 2020 and then scored another screamer versus Olympiacos on 11th March 2021, to keep Arsenal in the tie.
- Mohamed scored his first Premier League goal for Arsenal with a volley from the edge of the box in a game against Newcastle United on 2nd May 2021.
- Mohamed Elneny helped the National Under-23 team qualify for the 2012 Olympics, where he played in all four games as the team reached the last eight, and was knocked out by Japan.
- In September 2011, he made his full international debut in a 2-1 loss against Sierra Leone and scored his first goal for Egypt in a 2-2 draw against Jamaica in a friendly on 4th June 2014.
- He was in the Egypt National First Team squad in the Africa Cup of Nations 2017 in Gabon, which came as Runners-up as well as he helped the team qualify to the 2018 FIFA World Cup tournament in Russia.
- Arsenal on 27/07/2020 at the end of the loan
- Besiktas JK on 02/09/2019 for loan
- Arsenal on 14/01/2016 for 12.5M €
- FC Basel on 01/07/2013 for 640k €
- Al-Mokawloon on 30/06/2013 at the end of the loan
- FC Basel on 29/01/2013 at loan
- Al-Mokawloon on 01/07/2010 From Mokawloon U19
Awards and Achievements
- Swiss Super League: 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016
- FA Cup: 2016-2017
- FA Community Shield: 2017, 2020
- EFL Cup runner-up: 2017-2018
- UEFA Europa League runner-up: 2018-2019
- Africa Cup of Nations runner-up: 2017
Is Mohamed Elneny Married?
Mohamed Elneny is a married guy. He is also blessed with two children namely Fatima Elneny, Malik Mohamed Elneny with his wife however he has not shared much regarding his partner. Mohamed and his wife’s relationship is exceptional till now and hope it will remain as same as in the future too. Concerning Elneny’s sexual orientation, he is straight.
How much is Mohamed Elneny Net Worth?
Mohamed Elneny is a versatile guy who has a net worth of $6.9 million euro as of 2021 with a weekly salary of £55,000 which he earns from playing for Arsenal and has a current market worth in the region of £9 million as of 2018. Elneny used to earn €800,000 a year while playing for Basel FC. On 13th January 2016, the defensive midfielder signed a contract with Arsenal that nets him a whopping salary of 3.2 million euros (2.8 Million Pound) per year. In addition, his major source of income is his football career.
What is the Height of Mohamed Elneny?
Mohamed Elneny stands at an ideal height of 5 Feet 11 Inches with a balanced bodyweight of 77 kg. He has attractive curly black hair and dark brown eyes color. He definitely has emerged as another teen sensation in the scene. Additionally, Elneny’s body build type is athletic.