Olly Murs is an English singer, songwriter, TV presenter, and voice actor. He is best known as the runner-up in the sixth series of The X Factor in 2009. He is also known for his debut single, “Please Don’t Let Me Go” which peaked at number one on the UK singles chart and also received a Gold certification by the BPI.
Besides his music career, Olly has also appeared as a presenter on the television shows ‘The Xtra Factor’, ‘Text Santa’ and as a coach on ‘The Voice UK’.
Olly Murs has a huge fan following in the social media platforms with around 3.4m followers on his Instagram account: @ollymurs and around 7.1m followers on his Twitter account: @ollymurs. He also runs a self-titled youtube channel with around 1.9m subscribers.
What is Olly Murs famous for?
- Famous as the runner-up in the sixth series of ‘The X Factor’ in 2009.
- Famous for his singles ‘Please Don’t Let Me Go’, ‘Thinking of Me’, ‘Dear Darlin’, ‘Wrapped Up’, and ‘You Don’t Know Love’.
Where was Olly Murs born?
Olly Murs was born in Witham, Essex, England on May 14, 1984. His birth name is Oliver Stanley Murs. He was born to his father, Peter Murs, and mother, Vicky-Lynn Pollard. He grew up in Braintree, Essex along with his twin brother, Ben Murs, and his sister Fay Murs.
He holds an English nationality and belongs to the White ethnicity. His zodiac sign is Taurus.
Regarding his education, Olly Murs attended Howbridge Junior School in Witham. Later on, he enrolled at Notley High School in Braintree, Essex. During his high school days, he was a striker in his school’s football team but he gave up his football career following an injury.
Olly Murs Career Highlights
- Olly Murs auditioned for The X Factor but couldn’t clear the auditions twice.
- Later on, he started working as a recruitment consultant at Prime Appointments in Witham and also joined a local cover band called Small Town Blaggers with a friend named Jon Goodey.
- In 2007, he appeared in the game show named ‘Deal or No Deal’.
- In 2009, he auditioned for the third time for the sixth series of the singing reality show, ‘The X Factor’, and finally, he got selected. However, he didn’t win the show but finished as runner up.
- Thereafter, Murs released his debut single, ‘Please Don’t Let Me Go’ in 2010 which reached number one on the UK chart singles.
- In the same year, he released his self-titled debut studio album, ‘Olly Murs’ which entered the UK Albums Chart at number two with the biggest week one album sales for a debut album in 2010 with over 108000 albums sold.
- On November 28, 2011, he released his second studio album named ‘In Case You Didn’t Know’ which peaked at number one on the UK Albums Chart, at number two on the Irish Charts, and in the top ten in Germany, Switzerland, and Poland.
- On November 23, 2012, Murs released his third studio album, ‘Right Place Right Time’ which debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart with first-week sales of 127,000 units. Also, the album has been certified double platinum by the BPI.
- Murs returned to The X Factor as a guest mentor to help judge Gary Barlow pick his finalist for the finals of the competition on October 6, 2013.
- Olly Murs released his fourth studio album, ‘Never Been Better’ on 24 November 2014 and it debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart. The album’s first single “Wrapped Up” was debuted at number three on the UK Singles Chart. The album’s second single “Up” featuring American actress Demi Lovato reached number four in the UK singles chart.
- On 9 July 2016, Murs served as a support act for the British five-piece vocal group Take That at their British Summer Time concert at Hyde Park in London.
- On 26 July 2016, he served as both a guest and guest panelist on Loose Women in place of Katie Price who had fallen ill.
- Olly Murs released his fifth studio album, ’24 Hrs’ through RCA Records on 11 November 2016 and it was debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart.
- On 23 June 2017, Murs released his collaboration with Louisa Johnson called ‘Unpredictable’ which has more than seven million views on YouTube.
- Olly Murs released his sixth studio album called ‘You Know I Know’ on 9 November 2018 which is a double album, consisting of new songs and a selection of greatest hits. The album was certified Gold by the BPI in mid-December 2018.
- On December 15, 2018, he hosted an ITV special titled ‘Happy Hour with Olly Murs’.
- Since 2018, Murs has been a coach on The Voice UK and he has won the eighth series with Molly Hocking and the ninth series with Blessing Chitapa.
- In 2019, Murs made his acting debut as the voice of Spike the Doberman in a two-part special of the Disney Channel series 101 Dalmatian Street titled ‘A Summer to Remember’.
- In December 2019, Murs voiced for a Junior Agent in the computer-animated spy comedy film, ‘Spies in Disguise’.
Olly Murs Awards
- In 2011, Olly Murs was nominated at the BRIT Awards under the category of British Single of the Year for ‘Please Don’t Let Me Go’.
- On 16 April 2012, he won the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Award for ‘Favourite British Male Artist’.
- In 2013, he was also nominated for ‘British Male Solo Artist’ at the ‘BRIT Awards’.
- In 2017, he won the ‘UK Male Solo Megastar Award’ at the Nickelodeon Kid’s Choice Awards.
Olly Murs Girlfriend
Olly Murs is unmarried but not single. He is in a relationship with Amelia Tank who is a city worker and bodybuilder from Plymouth. Previously, he was in a romantic relationship with model Francesca Thomas. The couple began dating in 2012 but sadly their relationship ended in 2015.
Olly Murs Height and Weight
Olly Murs is a handsome guy with an attractive athletic body build. He stands at an average height of 1.75m (5 feet and 9 inches) and his body weighs around 72 Kg (159 lbs.). His chest, waist, and bicep sizes are 40-35-13 inches respectively. He wears a shoe size of 10(US). His hair color is Light Brown and his eye color is Blue. His sexual orientation is Straight.
Olly Murs Net Worth
Olly Murs has quite great earnings from his professional career as a Singer, Songwriter, and TV Presenter. His major source of income comes from his singing career. As of 2021, his net worth is estimated to be $7 million. However, his salary and other assets are not known.