Sunitha is an Indian playback singer, anchor, host, dubbing artist & actress working in the Telugu film industry for almost 25 years since 1995. She is popularly known as the “Queen of Melody” in the South Indian film industry and has rendered her voice for over 750 films as a dubbing artist. She has also hosted many singing reality shows in Telugu and appeared as a judge for them before achieving fame as a singer.
Having her career started as a commercial singer in the year 1995 with the movie, “Gulabi” Sunitha has come a long way up establishing herself as a leading playback singer in the Telugu Film Industry with her melodious voice. With her performances, Sunitha has managed to win several allocates including a National Award from All India Radio, two Film fare Awards, and 9 Nandi Awards.
She has traveled abroad extensively as a Singer and claimed International recognition. Besides, she is active on social media sites with over 328k followers on Instagram: @upadrastasunitha.
What is Sunitha Famous for?
- Famous as multiple award-winning singers and dubbing artist.
Where was Sunitha Born?
Sunitha was born on May 10, 1978, in Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India. Her birth name is Sunitha Upadrashta. Her nationality is Indian. Sunitha belongs to Brahmin ethnicity while Taurus is her zodiac sign.
Sunitha was born as the daughter of a music-loving family to Upadrasta Narasimha Rao(father) and Sumathi Malladi(mother). Her parents loved music and wanted her to be a singer. So, at the age of 6, she began training in music from Pemaraju Surya Rao in Carnatic Vocal and Light music from Kalaga Krishna Mohan.
She completed her early schooling at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan and later, at the Adikavi Nannaya University both in her hometown, Andhra Pradesh. Even in her younger days, she got many opportunities to participate and perform in several programs including her participation in Tyagaraja Aradhana utsavalu at age of 13. She got many awards for her marvelous performances including a scholarship from Central Government to pursue her musical training.
Sunitha started her singing career as a playback singer in films at an age of 17.
Sunitha’s Career Highlights
- Sunitha made her professional lead singing debut singing her debut song, “Ee Vela Lo Neevu” in the film, “Gulabi” in 1995.
- She then sang a single card for the National Film Award movie in Kannada “Bhoomi Geetha” in 1997.
- The same year, she sang other songs including “Maaghaa Maasam” and “Gunde Gutiki”.
- She sang Telugu TV serial title songs including “Ruturagalu” and “Antarangalu”, later for which she even received her first Nandi Award.
- She entered 2000 with her popular hit songs including “Vevela Mainala Gaanam”, “Chali Pidugullo”, “Hey Chikitha”, “Abbo Naa Bangaru Laddu”.
- Sunitha has worked with several popular music directors and has rendered nearly 3000 songs in many south Indian films singing in Telugu, Tamil, and Kannada.
- She also has done her own shows titled “Musical Moments with Sunitha” in the USA in 2009.
- Her recent song in the year 2020, includes “Tholi Suryuda”, “Kalalu Yenno” and “Neeli Neeli akaasam”, latter one was a massive hit as it touched a whopping 100M digital views.
- She also anchored the historical Amaravati foundation-laying ceremony in the year 2015.
- She also lent her voice as a dubbing artist for the TV film series, “Andam”.
- She got much popularity after the release of the movie, “Choodalani Undi”(1998) in which she gave her voice to actress Soundarya.
- She has made a record-breaking contribution of lending voice to 110+ actresses spread across 750+ films in the Telugu industry.
- She also played the lead role as Shree Chaitu in her first short film, “Raagam” in 2016.
- She has been a member of a judge of the reality show, “Super Singer” and also the anchor of “SaReGaMaPa Lil Champs” in Telugu.
- 9 Nandi Awards for Best Female Dubbing Artist and Playback singer.
- 2 Filmfare Awards for Best Female Playback singer.
- Vamsi Berkeley Award
- Bharata Muni Award
- Big FM Best Singer Award
- Big FM Kannada Award
Sunitha was previously married at the age of 19 to her first husband, Kiran Kumar Goparaju who worked in the media however, the couple got divorced. They together had two children; a son, Aakash Goparaju, and a daughter, Shreya Goparaju. Her daughter, Shreya is also a singer who sang her debut song, “Tick… Tick… Tick…” in a Telugu movie.
After a decade-long divorce and single life, Sunitha is finally in verse of getting married soon for the second time now. She gained much media attention when she shared pictures related to her intimate engagement ceremony with her fiance, Ram Veerapaneni who is reportedly the CEO of a digital media house(MANGO MUSIC).
On December 7, 2020, Sunitha shared photographs related to the ceremony mentioning, “The moment has finally come… Ram has entered my life as a caring friend and a wonderful partner.” Besides, she is an avid dog lover and even owns a pet dog named Snoopy.
Sunitha’s Net Worth
Sunitha has quite good earnings from her professional career as a singer and dubbing artist. Having her career started at the early age of 17 as a playback singer, Sunitha has come a long way up becoming one of the singing icons in the Telugu film industry. She has won dozens of awards and honors from several shows even from international.
Her source of income is surely her songs in movies, her dubbing part, and shows. With her hard work for years, Sunita undoubtedly has managed to amass a healthy fortune estimated to be around $5 million.
Sunitha is a gorgeous lady with a well maintained hour-glass body physique in her 40s. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 6inches.(1.68m) while her body weighs around 64kg(142 lbs).
Her body measurement is around 34-28-35 inches with a bra size of 34B, 4(US) as her dress size, and 6(US) as her shoe size. She has a fair complexion with black hair and brown eyes.