Jane is a well-known personality, most popular for appearing in the television show, “Alaska: The Last Frontier”, which airs on the Discovery Channel. The show follows the lives of the Kilcher family, who live in the wilderness of Alaska and work hard to live – some say survive – in the harsh environment. Jane is the wife of Atz Lee Kilcher, who is the son of the show’s patriarch, Atz Kilcher. Over the years, Jane has become a fan favorite due to her hardworking nature, wit, and resilience. Fans have grown to love her for her adventurous spirit and her willingness to do whatever it takes to live in Alaska’s challenging conditions. In this video, we’ll take a closer look at Jane Kilcher’s life, career, and what she’s up to now.
Who is Jane Kilcher?
Her early life, family and educational background
Jane Ferman was born in September of 1974, in Homer, Alaska, USA. She grew up in a family of hunters and fishermen, and so developed a love for the outdoors at an early age. Her parents, Bob and Sarah Ferman, were avid hunters and fishers, while Jane’s grandfather, Yule Ferman, was a homesteader who had moved to Alaska from Switzerland in the 1940s. He was one of the founding fathers of Homer, and was well-respected in the community. Her father was a commercial fisherman, who owned a boat and made his living from the sea. He would take Jane and her siblings out on the boat with him, teaching them how to fish and work on the boat. Jane’s mother Sarah was a homemaker who also worked hard to provide for the family. She would hunt and gather food from the land, and the family would preserve the meat and vegetables for the winter months.
As a child, Jane learned essential survival skills, such as fishing, hunting, and trapping from her parents and grandparents. She also developed a strong work ethic, which would serve her well later in life. Concerning her educational background, she attended Homer High School, from where she matriculated before attending college in California to study psychology. She graduated with honors, the returned to Alaska to be closer to her family.
Meeting her husband— Atz Lee
Quite interestingly, Jane knew her future husband, Atz Lee, from her childhood; the pair lived close to each other, and were friends from their pre-teen days. As adults, they fell in love and decided to take their relationship to a new level, and in November 2006, Jane and Atz Lee tied the knot in a private ceremony amongst their friends and family. However, before the pair got married, they were both married to and had children with other individuals: Jane to Alaskan native Dicran Kassouni and Atz Lee to Nantia Krisintu. In regards to their split from previous partners, neither have publicly disclosed the reason or their divorce process. It’s safe to assume that their previous partners weren’t a good fit, hence the end of their respective marriages. Good news is that the pair are now the proud parents of three children, a boy and two girls.
Post by Atz Lee Kilcher:Me and my lovely love Jane Kilcher out at the cabin getting some romantic candle lit cabin time!#brownchicken #browncow
Posted by Kilcher Cam Fans on Tuesday, January 16, 2018
Some odd jobs
After returning to Alaska, Jane worked a number of jobs before she caught her big break. For a while, she tapped into her family tradition and became a commercial fisher, selling her catches for a living. She then worked briefly as a bartender, before pursuing gigs in construction. Her last job was as a real estate agent, where she would help people acquire, buy and sell homes in her hometown of Homer.
In 2011, Jane and her husband had their lives changed after they were approached by the producers of “Alaska: The Last Frontier”. The show was about families living off grid, surviving in the often brutal Alaskan wilderness— basically the daily lives of Jane and her family. Although Jane and her husband are the main characters, there are other cast members pivotal to the show: the family patriarch, Otto Kilcher and his wife Charlotte, his sons Eivin, Atz and August, their wives Eve and Bonnie, respectively as well as Atz’s sons Atz Lee and Shane, with their wives Jane and Kelli. Phew! What a family!
Each member has a role to play, from hunting and gathering food, to fishing and building the homestead. In the series, Jane is shown to be an extremely skilled fisher, and usually taking care of their livestock too, that includes pigs, chickens and cows. She’s shown as a hardworking and resourceful person who can handle anything that comes her way. Her role on the show has made her a household name, and she has a loyal fan following. Fans love her for her no-nonsense attitude, her willingness to work hard, and her love for her family.
Over the years, the show has won several awards, and has been praised for its depiction of life in the Alaskan wilderness, partly through Jane. She’s also graced a number of other TV shows including “The Queen Latifah Show”, “The Late Show with Craig Ferguson” and “The Bonnie Hunt Show”, where she talked about the struggles of living off grid in Alaska, and gave viewers sneak peaks into the coming episodes.
Some unknown and interesting facts:
- For fans who doubt the truth of this reality show, we have good news. Most of the time, the show is pretty accurate and unscripted. The Kilcher family is a real one, and their struggles as homesteaders in the Alaskan wilderness are real too. The production team has no need for extra editing as the conditions out there are pretty brutal enough.
- As well as being homestead experts, the Kilcher’s are also musically talented. Atz Lee’s sister, Jewel is a famous singer and songwriter, having a number of hits on the charts, and has sold out concerts around Alaska. She has performed at several music festivals in Alaska, and has even released several albums – the unique theme song for the show is sang by Atz and his daughter Jewel.
- In 2015, Atz Lee was on a hike in Otter Cave near his hometown of Homer when he had a near-fatal accident, falling off a cliff. His wife shared a press release on the extremities of his injuries, written: ‘…suffered a terrible fall when hiking in Otter Cove. His injuries included a broken arm, shoulder, ankle, hip, crushed ribs and two punctured lungs… It will be a challenging and long road to recovery for Atz Lee, and the family appreciates everyone’s good thoughts at this challenging time’. After receiving medical attention and recovering for a while, the expert hiker also posted a message to his followers. He penned, ‘Thankful to be alive and at home with my wonderful family. My broken bones are healing nicely considering how many I broke… I know my family has my back and before long I will be back amongst the walking’.
- A year after his accident, he took to Instagram to give an update on his recovery saying, ‘… My recovery is going slowly but steadily for me, but the DRs say I’m recovering fast all considering… Looking forward to running and jumping from trees and mountain tops again someday. Thanks to my family for being by my side and thanks so much to all the people that have been keeping me in your thoughts and prayers’. We are happy to report that Atz is fully recovered and is back to his outdoor adventures!
- Jane is an active philanthropist and is involved in several charitable organizations. She is particularly passionate about animal rights, and often advocates for animal welfare.
What is she up to now?
As of 2023, “Alaska: The Last Frontier” is still on air, and Jane Kilcher is still a cast member. The show’s most recent season premiered in October 2022, and fans are eagerly awaiting the next season. She and her husband own a tour company in Alaska called “The Last Frontier Alaska,” which offers guided tours and outdoor experiences, and including activities such as hiking, fishing, and bear viewing, and is a popular destination for tourists visiting Alaska. When she’s not busy filming, she enjoys spending time outdoors, hiking, hunting and connecting with nature. Most of the time, however, she’s with her large family out in the homestead, working together. She’s still very passionate about animal rights and regularly advocates for them.
“Alaska the Last Frontier” special tonight on @Discovery ! Check out our family “self filming” episode while under quarantine on the homestead. 10:00 p.m. Eastern or 6:00 Alaska time or as scheduled in your time zone for your entertainment. pic.twitter.com/01zTLdKDM4
— Charlotte Kilcher (@kilcherfrontier) April 24, 2020
Where can you find her?
Jane is primarily known for her role on the show which airs on Discovery Channel, Discovery Plus and Discovery Go. The show is available on cable and satellite TV, and it can also be streamed on various online platforms such as Hulu, Tubi, DirecTV, Animal Planet Go, Fubo and Amazon Prime. In addition, Jane Kilcher is active on social media. She has a strong presence on Instagram, where she shares photos and videos of her life in Alaska – she also interacts with fans on the platform, answering questions and sharing insights into her life. She enjoys a large fan base on social media, on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Her salary and net worth
While Jane hasn’t disclosed her salary or net worth, it’s estimated that she earns a substantial amount from her role in “Alaska: The Last Frontier”. The show has been on air for over ten years and is one of the most popular on the Discovery Channel. In addition to her earnings from the show, she likely earns a regular income from her various business ventures, such as their company, various sponsorships and endorsements. She has worked with several brands over the years, including clothing and outdoor gear companies. Authoritative sources cite her net worth to be an estimated $2 million. Impressive!
While Jane Kilcher found her fame on the long running TV show, it is her personality that has kept viewers intrigued. Over the years, viewers have seen her steady rise to becoming one of the most popular faces in the series through her dedication and passion for homestead and off the grid living. In this video ,we looked at her background, some jobs she held and how she met and married her husband. We also saw her large extended family, the show that made them famous, some unknown facts and what she’s up to now. From her duties at home, to her business, to her philanthropic pursuits, there is no doubt Jane can do anything.
Jane Kilcher is a fascinating personality who has captured the hearts of fans around the world with her role in the show. She’s known for her hardworking nature, and adventurous spirit. Fans have come to love the determined mother of three, and how she uses her homestead expertise in solving daily challenges; she has become a symbol of the resilient Alaskan woman. We wish her the best of luck as she continues to impress, entertain and captivate, all while managing a home and business off grid.