Johnny Weir is an American figure skater and television commentator who is well-known for winning the US National Figure Skating Championship three times from 2004-2006. Weir became the youngest American figure skater to win US National Champion in 2004. He has won a World Junior Figure Skating Championship in 2001 and has also competed in Olympics two times in his career. He retired from figure skating in 2013 and began a career as a commentator. His first commentary was at the Sochi Olympics in 2014.
Weir also officially came out in early 2011 and has been involved with LGBTQ activism. Besides, Weir has participated as a contestant in the 29th season of the American reality series “Dancing with the Stars” pairing up with pro-dancer, Brit Stewart. The show got premiered on September 14, 2020, on the ABC network.
The pair has received good reviews from the judges for their dance performance in the show. Weir is also quite active in social media sites with over 490k followers on Instagram: @johnnygweir and over 366k followers on Twitter: @JohnnyGWeir.
What is Johnny Weir famous for?
- Famous as an American figure skater and television commentator
- Known for being the 3 times US National Figure Skating Champions
Source: [email protected]
Where is Johnny Weir from?
Johnny Weir was born on July 2, 1984, in Coatesville, Pennsylvania, United States. His birth name is John Weir. American is his nationality. His ethnicity is White caucasian while Cancer is his zodiac sign. He belongs to Norwegian heritage.
Johnny Weir was born as the eldest son of John Weir(father) and Patti Weir(mother). His father was a nuclear power plant engineer who also competed in English saddle events while his mother was a nuclear power plant worker and home inspector. He has a younger brother, Brian Weir.
He was raised in Quarryville, Pennsylvania along with his brother. At a young age, he became interested to do horse riding after being inspired by his father who also loved horse riding. By the age of nine, Weir won several equestrian competitions and also competed in the Devon Horse Show.
Then, his family moved to Little Britain, Connecticut where he began skating at an early age of 11. Then, he decided to pursue his career as a skater and for him to be trained properly, his family moved to Newark, Delaware near to his training class.
He did his schooling from Newark High School and got graduated in 2002. Later, he attended the University of Deleware where he studied linguistic before leaving his study to be much more focused on his career.
Source: [email protected]
Johnny Weir Career: Legacy
- Johnny Weir began his professional career in 1996 after he was influenced by the win 1994 Olympic gold medal by former skater Oksana Baiul.
- In his first year of skating(1997), Weir finished in first place in the South Atlantic Regionals as a juvenile.
- Weir won the gold medal at the World Junior Championships at age of 16 in 2001. With the win, Weir became the first American male skater since Derrick Delmore won in 1998.
- In 2001, he was ranked 18th-best in the world and at 6th position in his debut at the senior U.S. Championships.
- Weir couldn’t participate in the 2003 U.S. CHampionships following his knee injury.
- Weir won the gold medal at the 2004 U.S. Championship over Michael Weiss and was ranked the fifth-best skater in the world.
- In the 2004-2005 season, he got his first two Grand Prix titles. He stood first at the “2004 NHK Trophy” and second at the “2004 Trophee Eric Bompard”.
- At the 2006 U.S. Nationals, Weir became the first male skater to win three consecutive U.S. National Champion titles since Brian Boitano 20 ears back.
- Weir started the 2006-07 season by helping the U.S. men’s team come in first place at the Campbell’s Skating Challenge.
- Weir won his first world medal, a bronze, and secured three slots for the American men in the 2009 Worlds championship.
- In June 2009, Weir’s documentary “Pop Star on Ice” premiered during the Frameline Film Festival in San Francisco. He also starred on his show, “Be Good Johnny Weir” and also in the Netflix drama, “Spinning Out”.
- Weir placed third overall at the 2010 U.S. Nationals. He had a classical skating style, and was known for being “a very lyrical skater” and “an entertaining artesian”.
- With the release of his autobiography titled “Welcome to My World” in 2011, he came out officially as a gay.
- In 2013, Weir began writing a weekly column in the Falls-Church News-Press.
- Weir’s two Grand Prix slots were the Rostelecom Cup and Trophée Bompard in Paris in 2012.
- He announced his retirement on October 23, 2013 nad joined NBC as a figure skating analyst at the Sochi Olympics.
- Weir appeared in the 2014 EPIX documentary, “To Russia with Love”.
- Weir and Lipinski were hired by NBC’s Access Hollywood in 2014. He then served as a correspondent, with Lipinski, at the Beverly Hills Dog Show in 2017 and the National Dog Show in 2015–2019.
- They were named “culture correspondents” for the 2016 Summer Olympics.
- Weir made his recent television appearance as one of the contestants on season 29 of “Dancing with the Stars”, which premiered on September 14, 2020.
Awards and Honors
- Reader’s Choice Award in 2008 and 2010.
- NewNowNext Award Most Addictive Reality Star
- Grand Marshall Los Angeles Pride Parade
- Ice Theatre of New York Honoree
- Johnny Weir Winter Pride Award
- Cynopsis Media Award Best Podcast
- First American to win Cup of Russia in 2007
- Inducted into National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall Of Fame Inductee in 2013
- The first skater to win U.S. Nationals three times in a row.
Source: [email protected]
Johnny Weir’s Husband
Johnny Weir has got married just once. His first marriage was with Victor Voronov. Voronov is a lawyer, a graduate of Georgetown University Law Center whose family hailed from Russia with whom he got married in January 2012 in a civil ceremony in New York City, five months after the state legalized same-sex marriages. Voronov was supportive of Weir as he even gave up his legal practice to support his love Weir’s career.
They officially came out and were loved and supported by millions of people all around the world. They even had a pet chihuahua named Tema. However, just after two years of marriage, the couple went through several rough patches as they began fighting with each other. Victor even pressed charges of physical altercation, at their New Jersey home, upon Johnny for which he even sustained several injuries.
The fight turned uglier and thus they got officially divorced in March 2014. Ever since then he has remained single while Voronov moved on only a year later. Previously, Weir also dated singer Adam Lambert in 2010.
Besides, Weir faced several backlashes and suffered controversies especially for his sexuality. Back in the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Weir was questioned about his sexuality by two Canadian broadcasters who were homophobic about his performances and even made derogatory comments about his sexuality and performance.
Also, at the 2010 Olympics, he became a topic of gossip after he wore fox fur on his skating costume at that event. It wasn’t just there, he again got himself in controversy when he talked on the discussion of Russia’s anti-gay laws for whether the US should boycott the Sochi Olympics.
Johnny Weir Net Worth
Johnny Weir has quite great earnings from his professional career as a figure skater and television commentator. Having his career started in the year 1996 at the early age of 12, Weir did everything he could do to be perfect in skating as today he is regarded as “a very lyrical skater” and “an entertaining artesian”.
Even though he has faced several backlashes and negative influences, he never stepped back from pursuing his dreams. Weir’s unique style and creative skating techniques have brought him international recognition marking him more earnings and profits from all sides. Also regarded as one of the best skaters, Weir has undoubtedly managed to amass a healthy fortune from his a decade long career.
Adding his earnings from his work as a television commentator and also from his brand endorsements, Vogue, MAC, BlackBook, Vanity Fair, Weir has an estimated net worth of around $5 million.
Johnny Weir Height
Johnny Weir is a handsome guy in his who is perfectly beautiful in his way. Being a skater, he has a very well posture and standing figure with well maintained slim body physique.
He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 9inch.(1.75m) while his body weighs around 63kg. He has a fair complexion with black hair and sparkling green eyes.