Scott Leo Berry famed as Taye Diggs is an American actor, singer, and author. He is famous for his roles in the Broadway musicals “Rent” and “Hedwig and the Angry Inch”, the TV series “Private Practice” and “All American”, the films “How Stella Got Her Groove Back”, “Brown Sugar”, “The Best Man” and its sequel, “The Best Man Holiday”. Between 2014 and 2016 he starred as Inspector Terry English in “Murder in the First”. In 1996, he guest appeared in the role of Stephon in FOX police drama New York “Undercover” which is his first TV show. His career got a start after he was spotted by a talent agent while participating in a showcase in his senior year at the Syracuse University. In 2015, he published two children’s books – Chocolate Me and Mixed Me!, which were published by FSG and illustrated by Shane W. Evans. He is also the co-artistic director of a dance company, Dre. dance, with fellow Broadway veteran and School of the Arts alumnus Andrew Palermo.
- Being an American actor and singer.
- For starring in a successful Broadway production such as Hedwig and the Angry Inch.
- Being cast in the role of Terry English in the TV series, Murder in the First.
What is the Ethnic Background of Taye Diggs?
Taye Diggs was born in Newark, New Jersey, the United States on 2nd January 1971. Whereas he spent his childhood in Rochester, New York (hometown). His real name is Scott Leo Berry. He has derived his name Taye from Scottaye, which was the nickname used by his friends while growing up. About his parents, he was born to his father Andre Young (visual artist) and his mother, Marcia Berry (teacher and actress). Whereas when he was a child, his mother married Jeffries Diggs, whose surname Taye took. He is the oldest of five children. Thus, he has four siblings; two brothers, Gabriel and Michael, and two sisters, Christian and Shalom. As of 2021, he celebrated his 50th birthday. He holds American citizenship and he came from mixed (African-American) ethnicity. His birth sign is Capricorn and his religion is Christian.
Regarding his education, Taye Diggs attended the Allendale Columbia School, and later School of Arts, both in Rochester, New York. He completed his graduation from Syracuse University, with a BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts).
How was the Career of Taye Diggs?
- After his graduation, Diggs performed many times at the popular Lakes Region Summer Theatre in Meredith, New Hampshire. What’s more, he has also spent the summer of 1992 at the New London Barn Playhouse in New London, New Hampshire.
- His Broadway debut was in the ensemble cast of the 1994 Tony Award-winning revival of the musical “Carousel”.
- He also performed as a dancer in Sebastian’s Caribbean Carnival at Tokyo Disneyland in the year 1995.
- During the year 1996, Taye appeared in the musical “Rent” playing the role of a cruel and opportunistic landlord alongside Idina Menzel.
- Then, he appeared as Mr. Black opposite Menzel’s character of Kate in Andrew Lippa’s off-Broadway production of “The Wild Party” at Manhattan Theatre Club.
- He played The Bandleader in the 2002 film version of the long-running Broadway revival of “Chicago”.
- He moved to television in 1998 and started appearing in the soap opera “Guiding Light”, a show which holds a Guinness World record for being the longest-running television show in the history of American television.
- He also made his film debut in the comedy movie “How Stella Got Her Groove Back” in 1998.
- He next appeared in a lead role in the 1999 American romantic comedy-drama “The Best Man”. After that, he appeared in the American horror film “House on Haunted Hill”. Furthermore, he was featured in an episode of America’s Next Top Model.
- He next starred in comedy-drama “Ally McBeal” & portrayed the title character on the short-lived UPN television series “Kevin Hill”.
- He reprised the role of Benny for the 2005 “Rent” film. He is featured on the following cast recordings: Carousel 1994 revival cast; Rent 1996 original Broadway cast; The Wild Party original off-Broadway cast.
- Also, he played opposite Christian Bale as Bale’s partner/antagonist Brandt in the dystopian sci-fi thriller “Equilibrium”.
- He appeared on the TV show “Punk’d” in 2003 and guest-starred for several episodes as Will Truman’s love interest, James, on the eighth season of “Will & Grace” in 2006.
- He was seen opposite James McDaniel in Charles Fuller’s “A Soldier’s Play” at Second Stage Theatre in New York.
- He co-starred as Sam Bennett opposite Kate Walsh in “Private Practice”, the spin-off of “Grey’s Anatomy” from 2007 until 2013.
- He had a guest role on “The West Wing” & he also guest-starred on Grey’s Anatomy again in the “Grey’s Anatomy/Private Practice” Crossover Event.
- He had a major role in the live-action adaptation of the comic “Dylan Dog: Dead of Night” (2011).
- Similarly, he narrated the ESPN Films documentary “The Fab Five” about University of Michigan basketball players Chris Webber, Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose, Jimmy King, and Ray Jackson.
- He is one of the stars of the independent film drama “Between Us”.
- He starred in the TNT serial crime drama Murder in the First with Kathleen Robertson from 2014 until 2016.
- He is the author of four children’s books, Mixed Me! (2015), Chocolate Me (2015), I Love You More Than… (2018), and My Friend! (2021), all illustrated by Shane Evans (artist).
- He performed the role of the titular character Hedwig in the Broadway production of “Hedwig and the Angry Inch”.
- After that, he appeared in the films ‘Til Death Do Us Part and My Little Pony: The Movie, where he voices Capper the cat in 2017.
- He has twice appeared on Paramount Network’s reality competition series “Lip Sync Battle”. He sang his competitor’s song “Let Me Love You (Until You Learn to Love Yourself)” and then performed as Madonna for round two’s performance of “Vogue”. During its four-season, he competed against Erika Jayne, performing “Beautiful” and “Candyman”.
- He has also hosted the game show “Hypnotize Me” which was originally shot for broadcast on FOX in 2016, but never aired on the network. The eight-episode series was eventually broadcast on The CW, in the summer of 2019.
Awards and Achievements
- Won Blockbuster Entertainment Awards for House on Haunted Hill in 2000
- Won Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards & Screen Actors Guild Awards for Chicago in 2003
- Won NAACP Image Awards for Kevin Hill in 2005
- Won NAACP Image Awards for Private Practice in 2009
- Won Acapulco Black Film Festival for The Best Man Holiday in 2013
- Nominated for Acapulco Black Film Festival for How Stella Got Her Groove Back, NAACP Image Awards for The Best Man & Ally McBeal, NAACP Image Awards for Brown Sugar, and more.
Who is Taye Diggs Dating?
Taye Diggs was a married man. He is currently single and he is not dating anyone at present. He is enjoying his present life happily without any disturbances. At present, he is in search of a perfect partner. Taye Diggs and ‘The Bachelor’ star Demi Burnett attempt to find love in “The Celebrity Dating Game”. Taye Diggs will join the quest to meet a new love interest. He’ll interact with three other contestants, gaging their personalities and compatibility in a series of challenges. Diggs asks contestants to describe the word “love” without using the word “love” while Michael Bolton sings a clever rendition of “You Are So Beautiful.” His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
Taye Diggs initially went out with actress, filmmaker, and humanitarian Angelina Jolie. Then, he started dating actress Idina Menzel after having first met her while working in an original production of the Broadway musical Rent in the year 1996. On 11th January 2003, they got married and they welcomed a son, Walker Nathaniel on 2nd September 2009. After 10 years of their marriage, their married life came to end. Their divorce was finalized on 3rd December 2014. After that, he started going out with model Amanza Smith-Brown (Selling Sunset cast member). Their first public sighting came in April in a swanky restaurant in West Hollywood. They made their relationship public by walking the red carpet together at the BET Awards in June. However, the couple parted ways in 2018.
What is the Net Worth of Taye Diggs?
Successful and talented actor and singer, Taye Diggs has accumulated a net worth of $15 Million as of 2021. He is a well-known performer who appears in productions for theatre, television together with movies. He has starred in TV adverts for Propel Fitness Water, Kellogg’s. He has also been featured in print ads for the 2001 winter collection of GAP and America’s Milk Processors’ “Got Milk?”. His annual salary is around $2 Million at present. His major source of wealth comes from his entertainment career as well as from his singing career. He is satisfied with his earnings and he is living a lavish lifestyle.
How tall is Taye Diggs?
Taye Diggs has got an attractive athletic body type with the perfect height of 5 feet 10 inches and his weight consist of 83 Kg. His chest, waist, biceps size is 44-34-16 inches. His hair color is black and his eyes color is dark brown. Overall, he has got a healthy body.